Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will we ever see a short WR get drafted in the top 5?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galvao

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Will we ever see a short WR get drafted in the top 5? Reply with quote

In the last 10 years or so there hasnt been a WR drafted in the top 5 who has been shorter than 6'1. Will we ever see a Steve Smith kinda player get drafted in the top 5? I looked back until the 1997 draft and the shortest WR drafted in the top 5 was Peter Warrick (5'11) in 2000.

God forbid you to go to hell, but if you even seen a Rams game then you know it well.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorter than 6'1? Maybe.

Justin Blackmon, Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins are all listed at 6'1 currently. Who knows if when they reach the combine if they'll come up a bit short of that (Although I doubt Blackmon and Watkins will, possibly Woods)...

Last edited by TheVillain112 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Will we ever see a short WR get drafted in the top 5? Reply with quote

Galvao wrote:
In the last 10 years or so there hasnt been a WR drafted in the top 5 who has been shorter than 6'1. Will we ever see a Steve Smith kinda player get drafted in the top 5? I looked back until the 1997 draft and the shortest WR drafted in the top 5 was Peter Warrick (5'11) in 2000.

Will we ever see one? Well, yes. As you pointed out, Peter Warrick was the last one taken in the top 5. Desmond Howard (5'10") was selected 4th overall in 1992.

Will we ever see it happen again? Probably. But the message sent is that taller WRs are better fits for the NFL because they're often more versatile than the pygmies.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desmond Howard may be the reason why. He was such a big time bust for what he was expected to be in the NFL at WR that people used him as the prototype as to what to look for to avoid drafting WR busts. He was short, didn't have great top end speed, and wasn't required to run an advanced route tree in college. If a 5'10 200lbs WR that runs a 4.2 and is a Heisman candidate sort of dominant college player comes along, I don't see why they can't go top 5. If he has dominated all three years in college and has return ability like Patrick Peterson, I'd draft the guy top 5. He'd have to have the sort of timed combine speed that he displayed on the field. I'd be skeptical if he ran a 4.45. Jeremy Maclin was a "4.3" guy in college and the next "Desean Jackson" but isn't much of a big play guy in the NFL. Speed would be one of his top assets so he'd need to be able to outrun DBs for as long as Steve Smith and Joey Galloway in order to be worth that high of a pick. Top 5 the goal is to draft a Pro Bowl type player and not just another good NFL player.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will continue to see shorts WRs in the top 10 being selected, but looking at historic trends of 6-1 and shorter WRs, you shouldnt go near them in the top 10. The past 12 years of top 10 picks have seen 6-1 or shorter WRs being total flops in the NFL. The only success story has been Michael Crabtree, and even that is debatable.
ngo1125

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
Desmond Howard may be the reason why. He was such a big time bust for what he was expected to be in the NFL at WR that people used him as the prototype as to what to look for to avoid drafting WR busts. He was short, didn't have great top end speed, and wasn't required to run an advanced route tree in college. If a 5'10 200lbs WR that runs a 4.2 and is a Heisman candidate sort of dominant college player comes along, I don't see why they can't go top 5. If he has dominated all three years in college and has return ability like Patrick Peterson, I'd draft the guy top 5. He'd have to have the sort of timed combine speed that he displayed on the field. I'd be skeptical if he ran a 4.45. Jeremy Maclin was a "4.3" guy in college and the next "Desean Jackson" but isn't much of a big play guy in the NFL. Speed would be one of his top assets so he'd need to be able to outrun DBs for as long as Steve Smith and Joey Galloway in order to be worth that high of a pick. Top 5 the goal is to draft a Pro Bowl type player and not just another good NFL player.

I agree. If he has that elite skill set and production in college, a team would probably take a chance on him.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt say never, but there would have to be an interesting exception. Blackmon might go Top-5, you never know

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not b/c short WRs are viewed as dime a dozen type guys. Guys that you can get for a much better value in later rounds, the top of the draft is viewed as getting hopefully the next best player at his position for the long term, meaning you want prototypes in that spot.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
FREDDY T

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no and they shouldnt. even the thought of kendall wright at seven makes me a little woozy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: