Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New and Improved Mock by Baconator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baconrad3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: New and Improved Mock by Baconator Reply with quote

Mock I've been working on is basically finished. I've been doing extensive research into a lot of these prospects and have come away with some favorites of mine, who also happen to be quite realistic choices for us. Bash away.

Trade-The 20th overall pick is traded to Baltimore for the 26th pick and a 3rd round pick

Round 1 (via Balt): Byron Jones CB Connecticut 6'1 199 lbs
-Has become my new favorite corner prospect in this draft. At first, I thought people were just overreacting because of his world record setting broad jump and then going and posting a 44.5" vertical jump. AND he went and ran a 4.40 40 time at his Pro-Day. I became intrigued. Then, I went and watched his tape. And what I saw was a corner who can one day become a lockdown player. He's also surprisingly physical for uch a gifted athlete. He is best in press coverage as well. He is an elite athlete at the corner position, and he has that size and length Chip covets with his 6'1 height and long arms with big hands as well. Not only that, but he is versatile as heck. Played safety in his first 2 years in college. I believe he'll be best as a corner in the NFL. He has incredible athleticism (possibly one of the most athletically gifted cornerbacks we're ever see for a long time). Not only that, but his coverage skills were, frankly put, incredible. Opposing quarterbacks had an abysmal quarterback rating of just 26 when throwing at Jones. If we draft him, we will get the #1 shutdown corner we've longed for all these years. Playing cornerback as a rookie is tough, but I think Jones can step in and start right off the bat. Giving us a great duo for the next 5+ years with the two Byrons starting outside ( Wink ).

Trade- Oh mah gawd another trade! If someone falls and Chip doesn't think he'll fall even further to us, no doubt he will go get him. We trade CB Brandon Boykin and our 3rd round pick via Balt to Miami for their 2nd round pick.

Round 2 (via Mia): Ali Marpet OL Hobart 6'4 307 lbs
-Surprise, surprise. A versatile offensive lineman. Marpet allegedly has said that teams expressed interest in him a lot of because of his ability to play inside or outside up front. Despite never playing guard before, he held his own against one of the best d-lineman in the Senior Bowl. His 4.98 second 40 time was best among all lineman. He is an incredibly gifted athlete who plays with a very advanced technique for a DIII player. Reminds me a bit of Joel Bitonio, who is a very good player. Marpet has good foot quickness and is quick out of his stance into defenders. He's usually the lower man, which is a positive, and can use his hips and arm extension to lock out and control his man.

Round 2: Chris Conley WR Georgia 6'2 213 lbs
-Some may think this is a reach at this point before the draft. But Conley is absolutely worth a high day 2 pick and it's insane to me how he doesn't get enough recognition when inferior prospects like Sammie Coates do. Conley, like Byron Jones, came into the combine and blew it up. He ran a 4.35 40, 3rd among receivers. Think about that. a 6'2 213 lb WR runs a 4.35 40. Remarkable. Not only that, but he went on and set the all time record among receivers for both the vertical jump and broad jump, and was 4th among receivers in the bench press. After watching tape of him, he looks like he is a really smart running with the ball after the catch. Some might knock his production, but he was in a heavily run oriented offense with a new QB. But he was solid last year with 36 catches and 657 yards (18.0 ypc) and 8 touchdowns. He is excellent at high pointing balls and coming down with the catch, making him an excellent red zone threat. His hands are very good and his route running is quite impressive for a guy his size. He has impressive burst off the line and shows great body control. Call me crazy, but I see Conley turning into a #1 receiver and I predict that he'd have a similar rookie year to Jordan Matthews.

Round 3 (via Bal): Durell Eskridge S Syracuse 6'3 206 lbs
-In my opinion, this is one of the best safety prospects in this draft. Eskridge is a long-bodied defensive back who moved all over the field for Syracuse, going from free safety-center fielder, to strong safety in the box, to cornerback even at times. Chip sure does love his versatile defensive backs, and Eskridge fits that mold along with first pick Byron Jones. His ball skills for a player his size are remarkable and very rare. he has good speed for a safety, let alone one who is 6 foot 3. He is quite aggressive and plays at full speed all the time, running all over the field making plays. Which I love, but can sometimes get him into trouble. There were many instances when I was watching his tape where I saw him chase down a ballcarrier downfield from behind. He will be able to cover the bigger tight ends and receivers in the pros which we always seem to struggle against. He's a perfect fit next to Malcolm Jenkins, and like Byron Jones, I see him winning his starting job in training camp. He's that great. Suddenly with these two rookies, the additions of Maxwell and Thurmond, and Malcolm Jenkins already there and still young, we have the makings of a VERY promising secondary.

Round 4 (via Buf): Josh Shaw CB USC 6'0 201 lbs
-Even though we added Byron Jones here in the draft, we did get rid of Brandon Boykin. That would leave us with 4 corners on the team: Byron Jones, Byron Maxwell, Nolan Carroll, and Walter Thurmond. I'm not counting Jaylen Watkins because I'm still not sure where they wanna put him. I like Thurmond a lot as a slot corner, but he did miss 12 games last season. Shaw is an immensely talented prospect who only drops because of a few minor off the field incidents, notably the whole jumping off a balcony incident. He has the size we want in a cornerback, being 6 foot 200+ pounds, and has the athleticism and speed to go with it. He ran a 4.44 40 yard dash, 4th among defensive backs. He is best in press man coverage where he can use his size and strength to jam receivers at the LOS, so they have a hard time getting a good jump on him and he is able to stay with them thanks to his speed. His deficiencies are not physical just mental and can be coached. He's not a potential shutdown corner like Jones is, but he can in a couple years be a very good player in his own right.

Trade:Oh mah gawd!!! Another trade. This time, we trade our 5th round pick and our 7th round pick to Green Bay for WR Jeff Janis.
-Janis was drafted in the 7th round a year ago at out of Saginaw Valley State. Packers fans actually had high hopes for the kid, but he's been buried behind Green Bay's deep receiving corps amongst the likes of Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, and DaVante Adams. They really are set at receiver, while we could use some depth and especially a young guy like Janis with a ton of potential. He's 6'3 and 219 lbs, with 4.42 40 speed. His catching radius is huge and he needs to learn how to utilize it properly. His vertical speed is great especially for someone who is 6'3. He's still raw, but he doesn't need to contribute right away. I always really liked Janis and he seems to be exactly the type of receiver that Chip would want. Plus, with the addition of he and Conley, we've now got two receivers 6'2 or taller to pair along with our 6'3 projected starter Jordan Matthews. I think giving up a 5th rounder, when we have another one of them, plus just a 7th is fair value for a receiver with his kind of size and potential.

Round 5 (via Stl): Obum Gwacham DE/OLB Oregon State 6'5 251 lbs
-Gwacham is a high upside pick here. He is a fascinating case to say the least, switching from wide receiver to defensive end for his senior year at Oregon State. He finished his first year at defensive end with 28 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 4 sacks, and 1 forced fumble. He is an incredibly gifted athlete given that he's been a wide receiver up until last year, and his ceiling is very high. He put on 20+ lbs before the combine but scouts were a bit afraid that the added muscle would slow him down, which of course it did not, and he ended up running a 4.72 40 time. He's got 34 3/8" arms and 10" hands, combine that with his size and athleticism, and the potential is there for sure. He has a great first step and he's actually been linked to us a bit as a late round pass rusher. Personally, I think he's the type of guy Chip would take. He's very very unique and I think that it could end up being an advantage in the NFL.

Round 6: Tyler Moore OT/G Florida 6'5 320 lbs
-Moore was one of the highest rated recruits at OL coming out of high school. He has a lot of room to improve, which is why it'd be best to keep him as a back up for a while until he shows that he's ready to start if that day ever comes. Also his ability to play inside or out will be attractive to Chip.

New Depth Chart:
Italic indicates player acquired in a trade or in Free Agency
Bold indicates a rookie
*Note this is just what I predict the depth chart may look like. It is of course subject to change.

Offense
QB: Sam Bradford / Mark Sanchez / Matt Barkley
RB: DeMarco Murray / Ryan Mathews / Darren Sproles
WR1: Jordan Matthews / Riley Cooper
WR2: Chris Conley / Jeff Janis
WR3: Josh Huff / Miles Austin
TE: Zach Ertz / Brent Celek / Trey Burton
LT: Jason Peters / Andrew Gardner
LG: Evan Mathis / Dennis Kelly
C: Jason Kelce / David Molk
RG: Ali Marpet / Allen Barbre
RT: Lane Johnson / Tyler Moore

Defense
DE: Fletcher Cox / Brandon Bair
NT: Bennie Logan / Beau Allen
DE: Cedric Thornton / Vinny Curry / Taylor Hart
SOLB: Connor Barwin / Marcus Smith
SILB: Kiko Alonso / DeMeco Ryans
WILB: Mychal Kendricks / Brad Jones
LEO: Brandon Graham / Bryan Braman / Obum Gwacham
CB: Byron Maxwell / Nolan Carroll
S: Malcolm Jenkins / Chris Maragos / Jerome Couplin III
S: Jaylen Watkins / Durell Eskridge
CB: Byron Jones / Josh Shaw
Slot CB: Walter Thurmond

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
baconrad3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that offensively, it'll obviously come down to Sam's health. If he's healthy, he should be able to have a 30 TD season IMO. This group of receivers is better than people give them credit for. I believe that Chris Conley can step in right away and produce. Look at all the rookie receivers last year who had big years. Conley is the perfect compliment to Matthews and Huff. Cooper as our 4th WR is fine just not at his salary. Miles Austin might not even make it through TC if we keep 5 WRs, as I think Janis would beat him out. However I see Chip keeping 6. O-line should be very good as long as it doesn't get ravaged by injuries, and I predict that we have the #1 rush offense in the NFL in 2015 led by DeMarco Murray's 1400 yards and Ryan Mathews' 700. The pass game should be fine. I already covered the WRs...don't forget about our tight ends. Ertz is a rising star, who just needs to learn how to block. Still, he's a matchup nightmare as a receiver. Celek remains solid as always, and Burton is an unknown. Oh, and I'm sure that Sproles will be utilized in the pass game as well. Given all that info, there's no reason anyone should be able to complain about our weapons in the pass game if this somehow is what happened. I quite like that WR group.

nlesthought

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see potential pushing him into the top 20. Some CB desperate team jumping into the 15-19 range.

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig
baconrad3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the defense.

The front 7 will once again be one of the best in the game led by Fletcher Cox and Connor Barwin. Cox might be the best 3-4 DE in the game in terms of guys who nobody talks about. He's amazing. Bennie has turned into a very good nose tackle, and our depth is great with Allen behind him, and Curry rotating in on passing situations. If Curry were a full time starter on another team, he'd notch 14+ sacks. We have great depth at ILB. In case someone goes down, Ryans will be there to step in. But Alonso and Kendricks should form the best 3-4 ILB duo in the game now that Willis is gone. Barwin had a phenomenal season in 2014 and is a fan favorite. He is the perfect "Chip" type of player. And he is still only, what, 28? Graham on the other hand was statistically one of THE most effective pass rushers on a per snap basis in 2014. Let's just hope neither one of them get hurt. Smith is still lost in space, Braman is great on ST that's about it, and Obum Gwacham is a project. The secondary is the most important part, though. With the two Byrons starting outside for us, I predict a huge improvement in our secondary. I don't know if Watkins will even finish the year out at safety, as I see Eskridge taking his spot by week 8 or 9. But our CB depth looks deep here, with Carroll readily able to start alongside Maxwell if Byron Jones either isn't ready or gets hurt (god forbid). Thurmond is a great slot corner and is actually tall. And Josh Shaw will only be a #5 CB so not much should be expected of him, but I like his long term potential.

Our defense was 10th in the league last year in total DVOA, and I expect it to be even better. I think it has the potential to be top 5 if this is our draft. Byron Jones could be a contributor right away which would help tremendously.

jaymiz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copying son of a.......

Just kidding. Nice draft pal.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time me and my friend went to wendys right after the baconator had came out. We had agreed we would both get it to try it. He ordered first and got his baconator I went second and ordered chicken nugs.

He hated me but I still feel like I made the right call.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting

HT52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers
"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"

#ChipTrust
fly eagles fly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It could be very rewarding but it's also a very risky draft.

I do like Jones but I think you're really over-estimating what you're going to get out of him. I think you're kidding yourself if he can come in and start from day 1. He's very raw and his technique needs a lot of work. I'd be fine with drafting him there but it's not necessarily a slam dunk pick, and certainly not a sure thing.

I'm fine with Marpet. I like the potential and versatility.

I think that's a huge reach on Conley. I watched a good bit of film on him the last couple of days and I'm not sure what to think. I'll have to find a way to see more of his film but I wasn't all that impressed. I think he has good hands and obviously he has exceptional athleticism, but I didn't see it translating to the field that much. He lacks explosion coming out of his cuts, appears to have a limited route tree and doesn't release all that well off of the line. I see him as a bigger Kevin Curtis.

Haven't seen much on Eskridge but I've heard good things.

Shaw is fine with me as a mid-round guy.

The value for Jeff Janis makes no sense. He was one of the very last players drafted last year and only dressed for 3 games, yet you expect us to give up early 5th round value for him? What makes you think Chip would want him now after passing on him with all of his picks last year? I just can't wrap my mind around how you came up with that value. He's worth about what we gave up for Cody Parkey last year.

Don't know much about Gwacham but I'll have to look into it.

As far as the depth chart goes, Conley will not start. He'd be the fifth receiver on that team.

Byron Jones won't start at corner and I don't like the idea of having him and Shaw as the top options there.

Gwacham will not be on the roster if we draft him. He's either going to the practice squad or to the "IR." No way he'd ever make the team over Travis Long - who will be the primary backup at outside linebacker.

Overall, it has some high potential but it's a very risky daft.
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mock bacon. I like that you did something different with the Gwacham pick. I haven't really heard about him until today.

He actually talked about his visit with the Eagles

Quote:
This week, Gwacham had a highly anticipated visit to Philadelphia to work out for the Eagles.

April 3, 2015

It was different. I didn't really get a chance to explore the city too much. I got in, I woke up the next morning, met with the coaches, met with some of the other staff members. We did a little training exercise and a few other tests. Then, we got in the room with the linebackers coach, Coach (Bill) McGovern, and he went through some of the defensive plays with me. We had lunch, I came back later and met back with him and went through some film and kind of (went through) the plays that he taught me. After that, met with some other staff members, got a Philly cheese steak and was back in Oregon the next minute. It was a pretty quick, efficient trip.

It was my first time (at an NFL facility) and I was taking it all in. It was definitely a lot different. Walking around, there were a ton of Hall of Famers on the wall, a lot of old guys that have played in the league showing up on the wall. It's just crazy walking by and seeing that they walked through those halls, as well.

They see me as a 3-4 linebacker. Just going through some of the film, it's definitely I'd feel like I'd be very comfortable doing. Because I'll show up on the line and then occasionally I'll be dropping into coverage. It's definitely that I've been working on and not something that I'm too worried about.

A few questions they asked was just would I play against certain things an offensive tackle might do to me or certain blocks an offensive lineman might do to me. I feel like I gave them the right answers, because they were nodding their heads and agreeing with me on those.

I felt like they're the knd of staff I'd like to be around. When I was with Coach McGovern, I feel like I picked up the same vibe as when I took my visit to Oregon State. Everyone was very welcoming. Everyone there, they went out of their way to introduce themselves to me and all that. Coach McGovern, he seems like a very good coach. He seems like the kind of coach that I'd want coaching me.

Nothing really caught me off-guard. Going into it, I spoke to my agent and he kind of told me what to expect. And then the night before, I was given an itinerary with the activities that we would be doing. So I wouldn't say anything really caught me off-guard. Going into it, Coach McGovern said they weren't going to try to trick me.

They basically just told me to stay in football shape, because it's gonna come really quick. As soon as the draft happens, it's going to be the next season the next moment. Keep working out and not get out of shape. And when I do start learning all the stuff, I need to be very, very smart and comfortable with it, because I'll be coming in and trying to earn one of the veterans' spots. That's probably going to be a guy that's been there for a while and has probably got the playbook down pat. Me, on the other hand, I don't, so (McGovern) basically told me I need to really compete, because in order to make the team, you've got to take someone's job. I told him I'm willing to do it. I'm definitely willing to work and put forth the effort in order to make that happen.

It wasn't too serious, but I definitely felt like it could be my next home. There's no doubt about that. But, I mean, just because they have me coming in doesn't mean they're going to take me. I do have to keep an open mind, because I could end up with a team that hasn't really contacted me yet. I'm taking on it all in, I'm having fun with it and I definitely feel like I left a great impression on the coaches and the staff members there.

It'd be nice if I had more of these visits lined up, but I'm keeping an open mind, waiting by the phone and hopefully more teams will continue to contact me.

It's about time that it's April, because it seemed like March took a while to finally get through. I'm looking forward it. My family's looking forward to it, some of my friends. I just can't wait to see which team I end up on.

-- Obum Gwacham, as told to Gina Mizell

From him saying it definitely felt like Philly could be his next home tells a lot about how he was received and how much he liked the staff. I'm cool with a developmental guy in the 5th with good upside. He has similar measurables to Marcus Smith, except he ran a tad slower in the 40 and faster in the 3 cone and short shuttle.

You can tell he was a wide receiver by his head fake on this pass rush

https://gfycat.com/SpiffyJovialGroundbeetle#?speed=0.5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fly eagles fly wrote:
Gwacham will not be on the roster if we draft him. He's either going to the practice squad or to the "IR." No way he'd ever make the team over Travis Long - who will be the primary backup at outside linebacker.

Overall, it has some high potential but it's a very risky draft.

I definitely agree with the bolded

Are you sure Gwacham couldn't make the final 53 though?

He's obviously a guy that will need patience and grooming, but he has the length and ability to drop into coverage that we desire from our OLBs. I also read on NFL.com's scouting report that he provide's immediate value on kickoff coverage.

I mean we carried 5 OLBs last year with Cole, Barwin, Graham, Smith, and Braman. We would've carried 6 if Long didn't get hurt cause they were considering trying him as both an OLB and ILB, so that versatility would have definitely landed him a spot. It's a shame he got hurt.

Cole is gone so that frees up 1 spot and I could easily see Gwacham getting the nod over Braman if he can produce on special teams.

Also, Smith is the primary back up, not Long.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
fly eagles fly wrote:

He's obviously a guy that will need patience and grooming, but he has the length and ability to drop into coverage that we desire from our OLBs. I also read on NFL.com's scouting report that he provide's immediate value on kickoff coverage.

I mean we carried 5 OLBs last year with Cole, Barwin, Graham, Smith, and Braman. We would've carried 6 if Long didn't get hurt cause they were considering trying him as both an OLB and ILB, so that versatility would have definitely landed him a spot. It's a shame he got hurt.

Cole is gone so that frees up 1 spot and I could easily see Gwacham getting the nod over Braman if he can produce on special teams.

I just don't see where he'd be able to fit in. I know that he'd have a use on special teams but it's not like it's a position of need for this team right now. Realistically, he'd never be activated because of a logjam at the linebacker position and he's way too raw to see any action at this point. It's just a waste of a roster space for this year.

If Long did not get hurt, he would have the primary backup at inside linebacker and for Connor Barwin. Smith may have the upper hand because of the pressure to play a first round pick, but there's no question that Long makes this team if he's healthy. A great special teamer with inside/outside versatility and some solid pass rush moves.
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fly eagles fly wrote:
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
fly eagles fly wrote:

I just don't see where he'd be able to fit in. I know that he'd have a use on special teams but it's not like it's a position of need for this team right now. Realistically, he'd never be activated because of a logjam at the linebacker position and he's way too raw to see any action at this point. It's just a waste of a roster space for this year.

If Long did not get hurt, he would have the primary backup at inside linebacker and for Connor Barwin. Smith may have the upper hand because of the pressure to play a first round pick, but there's no question that Long makes this team if he's healthy. A great special teamer with inside/outside versatility and some solid pass rush moves.

Cole being gone opens a spot for Long and Gwacham taking Braman's spot is how both fit on the roster. Braman is active for all 16 games wasn't he? What did he contribute at OLB? Absolutely nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see Braman not making this team for primarily ST

Not really a PFF guy but they listed him in their All-Pro ST unit kick coverage unit

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/06/2014-pff-all-pro-special-teams/

He's on every ST unit pretty much.

http://birdbreakdown.com/2014/09/15/who-eagles-special-teams-where-2014/

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is new......

I roll my eyes a little every time I see a trade at 20. To me, there is so very little difference between a player at 20 and a player at 35 or 40. Unless somebody really unexpected slips who we don't need, I don't see people coming up. 20 is not high enough for the top talent and not low enough for top of the 2nd round people or bottom of the 1st people who really love a guy and want to get up. 20 is kind of no man's land.

I don't know who Baltimore needs to come up for? Gurley maybe, But if he gets past the Chargers, the next landing spot would be Cards at 24. Teams hopping up for Gurley are going to look at 22 or 23. Trading down for the Eagles makes a ton of sense. It could happen. I just have a hard time finding a realistic scenario from the other side.

I like Jones, Marpet and Conley, but I don't love when they are picked.

I seem to be in the minority of not buying Jones as a 1st rounder. I'm more comfortable with Marpet in the 3rd. And every day I turn around Chris Conley is going higher.

At the end of the day if they are good football players who play well, who cares when you took them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
fly eagles fly wrote:

Cole being gone opens a spot for Long and Gwacham taking Braman's spot is how both fit on the roster. Braman is active for all 16 games wasn't he? What did he contribute at OLB? Absolutely nothing.

Yes, Cole opens a roster spot for Long, but Braman is going nowhere. You want to cut one of the best special teamers in the NFL so you can give a roster spot to some kid purely because his NFL draft profile says he could be of use on kickoff coverage? I don't care if he has potential to play linebacker in 2-3 years. You don't give away an active roster spot for a kid like that. Makes no sense. Put him on the practice squad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: