Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Williams coming full circle?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Chris Williams coming full circle? Reply with quote

Speculation from the trib...

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/01/could_chris_williams_push_jmar.html

Quote:
According to Pro Football Focus, J'Marcus Webb was the worst full-time starting left tackle in the NFL this season.

Webb had a rating of minus-24.7, which ranked 67th among offensive tackles, according to PFF. By contrast, the top-rated offensive tackle, the Phila-delphia Eagles' Jason Peters, had a rating of 27.6.

Bears offensive line coach-turned-offensive coordinator Mike Tice has defended the play and potential of Webb, a seventh-round pick in the 2010 draft, at every turn.

But here's something to keep an eye on: Perhaps Tice will consider moving Chris Williams back to left tackle to compete with Webb. Williams started nine games at guard before he was lost for the season to a wrist injury. He didn't exactly shine, but he played solid football.

Webb really wasn't that good. No need to force him in there if he's not cutting it. Let's use sense here coaches, and not try to make magic happen all the time.

Quote:
Next season, Webb likely will be penciled in as the starter at left tackle, Gabe Carimi as the starter at right tackle and Roberto Garza as the starter at center. There will plenty of competition for the two guard spots among Chris Spencer, Lance Louis and Edwin Williams.

That's why Chris Williams might get a shot at left tackle.

Spencer and Louis would make fine Guards, I think. Why not let Williams battle it out with Webb and let the best man win?
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tice has already said Webb is the guy moving forward.
madmike44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things can change between now and the future.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmike44 wrote:

With Tice's pet project? I doubt it Laughing
ak06max

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Chris Williams coming full circle? Reply with quote

madmike44 wrote:
Speculation from the trib...

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/01/could_chris_williams_push_jmar.html

Quote:
According to Pro Football Focus, J'Marcus Webb was the worst full-time starting left tackle in the NFL this season.

Webb had a rating of minus-24.7, which ranked 67th among offensive tackles, according to PFF. By contrast, the top-rated offensive tackle, the Phila-delphia Eagles' Jason Peters, had a rating of 27.6.

Bears offensive line coach-turned-offensive coordinator Mike Tice has defended the play and potential of Webb, a seventh-round pick in the 2010 draft, at every turn.

But here's something to keep an eye on: Perhaps Tice will consider moving Chris Williams back to left tackle to compete with Webb. Williams started nine games at guard before he was lost for the season to a wrist injury. He didn't exactly shine, but he played solid football.

Webb really wasn't that good. No need to force him in there if he's not cutting it. Let's use sense here coaches, and not try to make magic happen all the time.

Quote:
Next season, Webb likely will be penciled in as the starter at left tackle, Gabe Carimi as the starter at right tackle and Roberto Garza as the starter at center. There will plenty of competition for the two guard spots among Chris Spencer, Lance Louis and Edwin Williams.

That's why Chris Williams might get a shot at left tackle.

Spencer and Louis would make fine Guards, I think. Why not let Williams battle it out with Webb and let the best man win?

I would really like to see this but Tice is sold on this mess of Webb
VeniceBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything can happen in training camp but when we have a group of solid guards (chris spencer, lance louis, edwin williams, chris williams) we could potentially move chris williams to LT to have our best 5 on the field.

but let's get real. the only good linemen out there is roberto garza. everyone else is a C at best (chris spencer being the second best I love his toughness). I think it would be better to draft/sign a LT then to move chris williams to Lt

Sacks: 4
Tackles: 30.0
INTS: 0
FF: 0
FR: 1
bkokot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeniceBearsFan wrote:
anything can happen in training camp but when we have a group of solid guards (chris spencer, lance louis, edwin williams, chris williams) we could potentially move chris williams to LT to have our best 5 on the field.

but let's get real. the only good linemen out there is roberto garza. everyone else is a C at best (chris spencer being the second best I love his toughness). I think it would be better to draft/sign a LT then to move chris williams to Lt

I think it's way too early to say that Carimi isn't a good linemen yet, I think he will be a very good RT.
VeniceBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:

I think it's way too early to say that Carimi isn't a good linemen yet, I think he will be a very good RT.

personally I think carimi is a stuf,, but still he only played 2 games so I need to put my own beliefs aside until he proves everyone else that he can be an 8 year starter for us

Sacks: 4
Tackles: 30.0
INTS: 0
FF: 0
FR: 1
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I guess it's possible. I'd rather see Webb at swing tackle. Not sure what the chances are though.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should atleast be some competition for the Left Tackle spot. Webb is not good enough to get a free pass.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem letting Chris Williams battle J'Marcus Webb for the LT in training camp and I expect Tice to have the position open to competition if for no other reason than to motivate Webb.

1. Chris Williams was an average LG and I would not be surprised if he was beaten out for the position by Lance Louis in camp.

LT:?
LG: Louis
C: Garza
RG: Spencer
RT: Carimi

2. We need something to compete at LT with the ultra inconsistent Webb. I do not care if it comes from one of three areas,

-Draft/Sign a potential LT.

-Draft/Sign a potential RT and allow Carimi to compete with Webb.

-Move Chris Williams to LT and Louis to LG.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears need a talent upgrade on the OL.

I think that Carimi and Spencer are the only guys guaranteed a position heading into next season.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
madmike44 wrote:

With Tice's pet project? I doubt it Laughing

Yeah he seems incredibly committed to it, but his comments last week made it seem like he was going to give Webb the fist chance, but he was open to other options.

I do not know what they are going to do because we have interior OL competition, but we have 0 competition at OT right now.
Bowler1215

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the o-linemens problem is the coaches moving them all over the place. Webb played RT his rookie year, LT the next. CW has played 3 o-line spots. Garza has played 2 or 3 spots as well(not sure if he played both OG spots) Louis has played in 2 or 3 spots. Put these guys in one spot and keep them there. We need to stop playing musical chairs with the o-line. And yes, draft an OG, and like a lot of the playoff teams, draft OT/OG every year.
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All we need to really is upgrade Webb, we have a lot of good possible combinations for this line:

LT: Free Agent or Draft: Anthony Collins? Mike Adams?
LG: Lance Louis ~ Chris Williams
C: Roberto Garza ~ Charles Spencer ~ Edwin Williams
RG: Charles Spencer ~ Lance Louis
RT: Gabe Carimi ~ Lance Louis

or

LT: Gabe Carimi
LG: Chris Williams
C: Roberto Garza
RG: Charles Spencer
RT: Lance Louis

or

LT: Free Agent or Draft
LG: Chris Williams
C: Charles Spencer
RG: Lance Louis
RT: Gabe Carimi

We're almost there, c'mon guys!

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: