Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Salary Info
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48046
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: 2012 Salary Info Reply with quote

TOTAL CAP HIT
Offense 42,921,041
Defense 50,667,227
Special Teams 4,132,857
Total Cap Hit (Salary+Bonus) 97,721,125
Deadweight Money ?????
Est. Salary Cap 130,000,000 (Just a guess; predicting a 8% increase, put whatever number you feel most comfortable with)
Salary Cap Space 32,278,875


*the bold figure represents total cap hit (salary + bonus)

POS PLAYER SALARY BONUS CAP HIT
QB Christian Ponder 836,759 1,470,000 2,306,759
QB Joe Webb 490,000 23,000 513,000

RB Adrian Peterson 8,000,000 8,000,000
RB Toby Gerhart 490,000 484,750 974,750
RB Jordan Todman 465,000 465,000
RB Caleb King 390,000 390,000
FB Ryan D'Imperio 490,000 11,750 501,750

WR Percy Harvin 915,000 440,000 1,355,000
WR Michael Jenkins 2,500,000 666,666 3,166,666
WR Stephen Burton 465,000 465,000
WR Emmanuel Arceneaux 405,000 25,000 430,000
WR Kerry Taylor 390,000 390,000
WR Kris Adams 390,000 390,000

TE Kyle Rudolph 585,448 466,791 1,052,239
TE Mickey Shuler 540,000 540,000
TE Allen Reisner 465,000 465,000

OT Charlie Johnson 2,950,000 1,000,000 3,950,000
OT Phil Loadholt 565,000 303,750 868,750
OT DeMarcus Love 465,000 465,000
OG Steve Hutchinson 6,950,000 1,428,571 8,378,571
OG Anthony Herrera 2,650,000 250,000 2,900,000
OG Joe Berger 1,000,000 1,000,000
OG Chris DeGeare 465,000 465,000
C John Sullivan 3,000,000 3,000,000
C Brandon Fusco 465,000 23,556 488,556

DE Jared Allen 11,619,850 2,583,333 14,203,183
DE Brian Robison 726,000 2,166,667 2,892,667
DE Everson Griffen 490,000 135,000 625,000
DE D'Aundre Reed 465,000 12,563 477,563
DT Kevin Williams 7,000,000 7,000,000
DT Remi Ayodele 2,200,000 2,200,000
DT Christian Ballard 465,000 101,888 566,888

OLB Chad Greenway 5,900,000 1,800,000 7,700,000
OLB Larry Dean 465,000 465,000
OLB Tyrone McKenzie 465,000 465,000
MLB Jasper Brinkley 565,000 46,500 611,500

CB Chris Cook 490,000 575,000 1,065,000
CB Cedric Griffin 4,100,000 4,100,000
CB Antoine Winfield 3,000,000 280,000 3,280,000
CB Asher Allen 565,000 181,375 746,375
CB Brandon Burton 465,000 42,250 507,250
CB Marcus Sherels 415,000 415,000
CB Reggie Jones 390,000 390,000
S Mistral Raymond 465,000 24,483 489,483
S Jamarca Sanford 565,000 12,318 577,318
S Eric Frampton 850,000 500,000 1,350,000
S Andrew Sendejo 540,000 540,000

K Ryan Longwell 1,750,000 1,750,000
P Chris Kluwe 1,300,000 242,857 1,542,857
LS Cullen Loeffler 840,000 840,000


I got the figures from Rotoworld, who usually do a good job with salary figures, so I trust that they are an accurate website.

I created an excel file, so if anyone is interested i can possibly make it available through google docs. It would have probably been a lot easier to read the above information in an excel doc., posted as a picture, so I apologize for not doing that. Maybe I will later.

One last factor that will impact salary cap space is any deadweight money related to previous bonuses, im not sure how to figure that out and it isnt available anywhere on the internet. So if anybody has any clue to that value, that would be great so we can get a more accurate estimation of how much cap space MN really has.

Also, i estimated the cap to grow at about 8% over 2011. I dont know how accurate that will be, but we can certainly change it if someone has a more thorough estimation. I kind of just pulled a number out of the air Laughing

So how much cap space can MN open up? Who are the prime candidates to get released?


Last edited by vikingsrule on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48046
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested.




Quote:
How can you have a real salary cap if all you have to do is give a player a signing bonus to get around it?

Answer: Now we come to the tricky part. The signing bonus IS part of the player's salary. So it counts against the cap. When determining team and player salary, the signing bonus will be prorated over the length of the contract.

For example, if a player signs a four-year deal with a $1 million signing bonus, $250,000 of that bonus will count toward team salary for each contract year ($1 million divided evenly over the four-year contract is $250,000 per year). If a team releases a player, the unamoratized bonus money (the remaining prorated bonus money) counts immediately against the cap.

In our example above, if the player is released after Year 1, the remaining $750,000 (the prorated signing bonus money for years 2-4) counts against the cap in Year 2 -- even though the player is no longer on the team's roster.


http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

So if your factoring in a player to be released, they arent off the hook for the bonus part of the salary. Example. Releasing Hutchinson wont open up $8M, his prorated bonus would still apply to the cap. Given that Hutchinson is in the final year of his contract, the remaining one year of bonus money would apply to the cap.

That is where a lot of the deadweight moeny i was talking about comes into play. Bonus money from released players would still have to apply to the cap even if they arent on the team, but it gets somewhat confusing, are we off the hook for guys like Mckinnie, berrian and mcnabb for 2012?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3598
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Salary Cap Info Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Also, i estimated the cap to grow at about 8% over 2011. I dont know how accurate that will be, but we can certainly change it if someone has a more thorough estimation. I kind of just pulled a number out of the air Laughing


Don't quote me on this, but I read in another thread that a journalist reported that the cap would stay roughly the same next year, as in, not a big increase.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48046
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Salary Cap Info Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Also, i estimated the cap to grow at about 8% over 2011. I dont know how accurate that will be, but we can certainly change it if someone has a more thorough estimation. I kind of just pulled a number out of the air Laughing


Don't quote me on this, but I read in another thread that a journalist reported that the cap would stay roughly the same next year, as in, not a big increase.


That could be the case. But the cap is reflective upon revenues and i can only imagine the NFL consistently having increased revenue. that should be reflected in a growing cap. But I really dont know, and im sure its probably impossible to really predict without knowing the NFL's financials.

We could even be more conservative and just say it grows by 4%. I doubt that it stays the same or decreases.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Purplexing


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 4443
Location: Outside Valhalla, looking in.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2012 Salary Cap Info Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Also, i estimated the cap to grow at about 8% over 2011. I dont know how accurate that will be, but we can certainly change it if someone has a more thorough estimation. I kind of just pulled a number out of the air Laughing


Don't quote me on this, but I read in another thread that a journalist reported that the cap would stay roughly the same next year, as in, not a big increase.


That could be the case. But the cap is reflective upon revenues and i can only imagine the NFL consistently having increased revenue. that should be reflected in a growing cap. But I really dont know, and im sure its probably impossible to really predict without knowing the NFL's financials.

We could even be more conservative and just say it grows by 4%. I doubt that it stays the same or decreases.


He said not to quote him on his claim! j/k Wink

I will be diplomatic and say you should offer a range of 0% to 8% increases. Smile

The approach to the cap this year will depend on the new CBA's revenue sharing percentages. I don't recall how that was resolved. The guesses by sports writers considered, or didn't consider, that agreement.
_________________

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48046
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting Hutchinson, Winfield, and Ced Griffin alone saves the team about $14,000,000 Shocked

Throw in a few useless guys like Eric Frampton, Remi Ayodele and maybe Anthony Herrera, your looking at another $5-6 million.

Or bight the bullet, and dump Kevin Williams and save $7,000,000; but as we were discussing in another thread, cutting/restructuring KW isnt a necessity until after this year, when his large bonus doubles his cap hit to $15,000,000.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minnvikes22


Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 3179
Location: PA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Cutting Hutchinson, Winfield, and Ced Griffin alone saves the team about $14,000,000 Shocked

Throw in a few useless guys like Eric Frampton, Remi Ayodele and maybe Anthony Herrera, your looking at another $5-6 million.

Or bight the bullet, and dump Kevin Williams and save $7,000,000; but as we were discussing in another thread, cutting/restructuring KW isnt a necessity until after this year, when his large bonus doubles his cap hit to $15,000,000.


And there is a chance that all 6 guys get cut. I would say 5 for sure. Winfield might stick around, but if they could add a guy like Wright ( like in your mock draft ) for an additional 1-2 million, I pull the trigger and tell him to hit the road..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48046
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnvikes22 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Cutting Hutchinson, Winfield, and Ced Griffin alone saves the team about $14,000,000 Shocked

Throw in a few useless guys like Eric Frampton, Remi Ayodele and maybe Anthony Herrera, your looking at another $5-6 million.

Or bight the bullet, and dump Kevin Williams and save $7,000,000; but as we were discussing in another thread, cutting/restructuring KW isnt a necessity until after this year, when his large bonus doubles his cap hit to $15,000,000.


And there is a chance that all 6 guys get cut. I would say 5 for sure. Winfield might stick around, but if they could add a guy like Wright ( like in your mock draft ) for an additional 1-2 million, I pull the trigger and tell him to hit the road..


Agreed. The cuts may not happen all at once. I would start by cutting Hutchinson and Griffin immediately. That alone saves the team about $10M. If MN can land a free agent CB like Wright, who can play in the nickel and on the outside, I would then cut Winfield. I honestly dont think Asher Allen and Winfield are too far off ability wise as nickel CBs. One obviously has a bigger name and a high salary and the other has been a solid CB still playing on their rookie salary.

This goes for Herrera and Ayodele as well. If MN signs a OG, they could be likely to cut Herrera. Given that Joe Berger, Charlie Johnson, DeMarcus Love and Brandon Fusco all have potential to start at one of the Guard spots, there isnt a use for keeping Herrera's salary.

And if a new free agent DT is added, Ayodele wont be necessary, or perhaps they resign Fred Evans dump Ayodele.

I think Hutchinson and Griffin are the most likely to be cut, regardless of what happens.

I would guess that Herrera, Winfield and Ayodele will only be cut depending upon what happens in free agency.

And Frampton is similar to Heath Farwell last year, there just doesnt seem to be much use of keeping Frampton around. Sure he is a special teams ace, but releasing him saves $850,000. Considering he dresses every sunday and cant play defense, that doesnt bode well. If MN can add 3 new Safetys through free agency and the draft to go with Raymond/Sanford, there wont be use for him. Sanford is a good special teams player anyway but atleast he can play defense (not a very good starter, but im sure light years better than Frampton)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
randy84 4ever


Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 728
Location: Sunny Tempe Arizona, home of the Hottest ASU co-eds
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Salary Info Reply with quote

S Eric Frampton 850,000 500,000 1,350,000
[/quote]

Wow this is a lot of money for a 5th safety special teamer that never sees the field
_________________
OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74409
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Salary Info Reply with quote

randy84 4ever wrote:
S Eric Frampton 850,000 500,000 1,350,000


Wow this is a lot of money for a 5th safety special teamer that never sees the field[/quote]
it's because NFL labor contracts have certain minimum salaries for players based on how many years experience they have.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48046
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Salary Info Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
randy84 4ever wrote:
S Eric Frampton 850,000 500,000 1,350,000


Wow this is a lot of money for a 5th safety special teamer that never sees the field

it's because NFL labor contracts have certain minimum salaries for players based on how many years experience they have.[/quote]

Frampton needs to be cut. Sanford is more than capable to be that special teams ace and he can actually play, although he isnt a good starter, Sanford is a better reserve than Frampton. Assuming MN can find starting safetys to replace Sanford, i think Frampton could be gone.

MN would save $850,000 releasing him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twslhs20


Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 12473
Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
For those interested.




Quote:
How can you have a real salary cap if all you have to do is give a player a signing bonus to get around it?

Answer: Now we come to the tricky part. The signing bonus IS part of the player's salary. So it counts against the cap. When determining team and player salary, the signing bonus will be prorated over the length of the contract.

For example, if a player signs a four-year deal with a $1 million signing bonus, $250,000 of that bonus will count toward team salary for each contract year ($1 million divided evenly over the four-year contract is $250,000 per year). If a team releases a player, the unamoratized bonus money (the remaining prorated bonus money) counts immediately against the cap.

In our example above, if the player is released after Year 1, the remaining $750,000 (the prorated signing bonus money for years 2-4) counts against the cap in Year 2 -- even though the player is no longer on the team's roster.


http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

So if your factoring in a player to be released, they arent off the hook for the bonus part of the salary. Example. Releasing Hutchinson wont open up $8M, his prorated bonus would still apply to the cap. Given that Hutchinson is in the final year of his contract, the remaining one year of bonus money would apply to the cap.

That is where a lot of the deadweight moeny i was talking about comes into play. Bonus money from released players would still have to apply to the cap even if they arent on the team, but it gets somewhat confusing, are we off the hook for guys like Mckinnie, berrian and mcnabb for 2012?


I'm sorry this is off topic relating to our guys, but the Colts owe Manning a 28m signing bonus before March 5th. Does this mean if hes cut they would have to eat some or all of that as dead money.
_________________

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Gnat


Moderator
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 36231
Location: Minneapolis
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
For those interested.




Quote:
How can you have a real salary cap if all you have to do is give a player a signing bonus to get around it?

Answer: Now we come to the tricky part. The signing bonus IS part of the player's salary. So it counts against the cap. When determining team and player salary, the signing bonus will be prorated over the length of the contract.

For example, if a player signs a four-year deal with a $1 million signing bonus, $250,000 of that bonus will count toward team salary for each contract year ($1 million divided evenly over the four-year contract is $250,000 per year). If a team releases a player, the unamoratized bonus money (the remaining prorated bonus money) counts immediately against the cap.

In our example above, if the player is released after Year 1, the remaining $750,000 (the prorated signing bonus money for years 2-4) counts against the cap in Year 2 -- even though the player is no longer on the team's roster.


http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

So if your factoring in a player to be released, they arent off the hook for the bonus part of the salary. Example. Releasing Hutchinson wont open up $8M, his prorated bonus would still apply to the cap. Given that Hutchinson is in the final year of his contract, the remaining one year of bonus money would apply to the cap.

That is where a lot of the deadweight moeny i was talking about comes into play. Bonus money from released players would still have to apply to the cap even if they arent on the team, but it gets somewhat confusing, are we off the hook for guys like Mckinnie, berrian and mcnabb for 2012?


I'm sorry this is off topic relating to our guys, but the Colts owe Manning a 28m signing bonus before March 5th. Does this mean if hes cut they would have to eat some or all of that as dead money.


Different bonuses, Hutchinson has prorated signing bonus, the money for Manning is a roster bonus.
_________________
Gnat's Movie Reviews

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twslhs20


Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 12473
Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
Different bonuses, Hutchinson has prorated signing bonus, the money for Manning is a roster bonus.


Interesting. So roster bonus' don't count against the cap then?
_________________

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Purplexing


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 4443
Location: Outside Valhalla, looking in.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
The Gnat wrote:
Different bonuses, Hutchinson has prorated signing bonus, the money for Manning is a roster bonus.


Interesting. So roster bonus' don't count against the cap then?


No, it must count because a team could get around a salary cap by paying roster bonuses that amount to 90% of the players compensation for the year.

The roster bonus is another type of bonus, and usually is incentive based; i.e. you must be on the team and be able to play to make the roster to earn it.
_________________

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group