Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rick Spielman's Yute Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i shouldn't have posted it in this thread. it is more about Frazier.

still though, a disasterous season could have both Frazier and Spielman's heads on blocks, one could argue.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
maybe i shouldn't have posted it in this thread. it is more about Frazier.

still though, a disasterous season could have both Frazier and Spielman's heads on blocks, one could argue.

Possibly, I just dont know why Wilf would fully promote Spielman just to fire him one year later. Wilf is a smart guy, I am sure he probably realizes that it may take several drafts in Spielman's new role for him to get the job done.
milanb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

I dont get this article. They mentioned Morris, who is a head coach. And then they go on to say that Spielman may not have time, because of the concept of winning now. Spielman just got promoted to GM, he isnt going anywhere only one year after the promotion. If there was any indication that Spielman's job was on the line, Wilf probably would have waited some time to promote him to GM, or create the position for someone else. Is the article confusing Frazier for Spielman? Frazier is the one who should be more concerned for his job.

I would think that it depends on how the season unfolds.

Spielman has staked his reputation on Ponder and to a lesser extent on Rudolph and Kalil. If these guys struggle while Frazier manages to get his defence playing at a respectable level, then it's going to be awfully difficult for Spielman to hang the blame on Frazier for the team not being competitive.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a young team is great, but its always good to keep the old guys around.

Usually, they are the ones the most knowledge, and are better technicians than younger guys. Leadership also stems from these guys.

So with that said, I'm okay with everything we've done so far, because we DO have some very strong veterans on this team. I like where we are going.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I dont get this article. They mentioned Morris, who is a head coach. And then they go on to say that Spielman may not have time, because of the concept of winning now. Spielman just got promoted to GM, he isnt going anywhere only one year after the promotion. If there was any indication that Spielman's job was on the line, Wilf probably would have waited some time to promote him to GM, or create the position for someone else. Is the article confusing Frazier for Spielman? Frazier is the one who should be more concerned for his job.

I would think that it depends on how the season unfolds.

Spielman has staked his reputation on Ponder and to a lesser extent on Rudolph and Kalil. If these guys struggle while Frazier manages to get his defence playing at a respectable level, then it's going to be awfully difficult for Spielman to hang the blame on Frazier for the team not being competitive.

Spielman should also get credit for the players that were added on defense if the defense has improved. Guys like Smith, Raymond, Robinson, were all picks under Spielman too, if Spielman is getting credit for Ponder and Kalil.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going young was the theme again as the Vikings cut down on Friday, with Rosenfels, cornerback Chris Carr (age 29) and safety Eric Frampton (28) among those let go.

They also released cornerback Zack Bowman (27) on Saturday to make room for Jefferson on the 53-man roster, which includes 40 players (77.4%) ages 27 and younger.

"What we talked about in the meetings and when I sat with Coach (Leslie) Frazier is, if there's a significant difference in a player, where this guy is that much better than the other player, then we have to keep the best players on the 53," Spielman said.

"And we had a lot of discussions with these young guys -- this guy compared to maybe a veteran, and the younger guy may not be there yet, but you can see him closing the gap and can see him continually improving through the offseason, through training camp, through the preseason, where eventually that younger player has some upside to continue to develop and may be better ... down the road.

"So, we really honed in a lot of these young guys and evaluated them -- are these guys leveling off or are these guys continuing to get better and grow in their position? That was a lot of the determination as we went through, because a lot of the veteran guys that we did let go -- those guys, I truly believe, are good enough to play in the NFL and will more than likely be on other teams."

http://www.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sPL=notebook_sage_rosenfels_release_wasnt_his_fault_rick_spielman_says090212
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spielman is unlistenable, imo. At least Ryan and Gardenhire will admit there are things to work on. If you listen to Spielman, these guys never make a mistake. I turn the channel when he comes on now.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Having a young team is great, but its always good to keep the old guys around.

Usually, they are the ones the most knowledge, and are better technicians than younger guys. Leadership also stems from these guys.

So with that said, I'm okay with everything we've done so far, because we DO have some very strong veterans on this team. I like where we are going.

Vike Daddy, myself, and all the rest of the "ancients" on this site would heartily concur. I knew you were a smart guy Steven. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“@TomPelissero: By my count, 17 #Vikings players -- roughly one-third of 53-man roster -- have appeared in 6 NFL games or fewer.”
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the year we just had, do we continue on the yute movement, or bring in more win-now guys?
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yute movement should continue, as long as gain are still being made in terms of talent on the field.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
After the year we just had, do we continue on the yute movement, or bring in more win-now guys?

The yute movement continues, with the idea of those players helping in winning now...just like they did this year.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Klomp wrote:

The yute movement continues, with the idea of those players helping in winning now...just like they did this year.

Yep, if anything the youth movement will be in full force with some older players nearing the end of there deals (Winfield/Williams/Jenkins) and the need to continue to build through the draft will be top priority.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no, we want even more yutes.

and this is coming from an old guy.

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect it to continue. It better. The youth on our team had a fire lit under them all year. They played like they had something to prove, the veterans were right there with them, and they put together a phenomenal year that no one expected.

It will be interesting, to say the least, if we do more cuts of old under-performing players. There aren't too many of these left, but I really like where things are going. The vets are very important too though and I firmly believe it is important to have 1 at each position. I do not mean they have to be in their thirties or anything, just have about 4 years of NFL experience under their belt. It's absolutely incredible how much more these guys can learn from veterans as opposed to coaches.

Here's to hoping we have another good Spielman draft class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: