Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rick Spielman's Yute Movement
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Rick Spielman's Yute Movement Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVjbf-dHjW0

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman has a plan to get younger. It’s a must in today’s NFL, he says. And so the youth movement at Winter Park is about to get underway.

Yes, after a 3-13 season, there is a strong desire to get things turned around as soon as possible. But Spielman knows he must also resist the temptation to chase the quick fix. In addition to upgrading the Vikings’ talent level for 2012, he must have a vision for how the roster will develop in 2013 and 2014 and beyond.

Spielman: “We certainly understand the urgency of winning next year. But when you make your personnel moves, you’re not just focused on 2012. You can’t be. My focus, if we make a personnel move, is not only how will that affect us in 2012 but I have to look at whether that’s going to have a major impact on us going down the road.”

“My responsibility is to have not only short-term but long-term vision. And again, I understand that I have to understand where the coaches are coming from. Because their job is on the line every year. Regardless of who it is. You can be a Hall of Fame coach. They are focused on one thing – and everybody is. Winning and winning now. And they do everything they possibly can to win. But also when you’re making personnel decisions, you have to make sure you’re looking out for your future as well.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/137596308.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Last edited by vike daddy on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing groundbreaking here.

A GM's job is to prepare and execute a long-term plan while simultaneously making moves to stay competitive in the short term. He's really just saying a whole bunch of nothing.

The thread is kind of pointless, actually. What kind of movement could he support instead of a youth movement? An "elderly" movement? d'oh!

Peppers90 on the sig.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Nothing groundbreaking here.

A GM's job is to prepare and execute a long-term plan while simultaneously making moves to stay competitive in the short term. He's really just saying a whole bunch of nothing.

The thread is kind of pointless, actually. What kind of movement could he support instead of a youth movement? An "elderly" movement? d'oh!

you gotz a bad attitood, dood.

ok, throw the thread out, it's worthless. jeeez.

i just started a thread with a quote from Spielman that, yes, is just all talk for now i recognize, but isn't it precisely the talk that several historically skeptical members (like PCP) would approve of? he keeps saying, "play the young guys! see what you have in them!" it also shows a break from the Childress regime of over dependence on vets. it also makes a salient point about coaches playing for the now, and how Spielman sees it's his role to go beyond that.

so sorry if it's not good enough for you. but it's news worthy of at least minor reporting. and any thread that can tie in to a classic Joe Pesci line deserves something.

chill, dude.

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I seem harsh, I don't mean to be harsh for the sake of being harsh. I just prefer to be bluntly honest, as it saves everyone a lot of time and keeps the discussion from bloating, and keeps everyone in line.

I give you props for the Pesci tie-in (I'm a big fan).

Peppers90 on the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Sorry if I seem harsh, I don't mean to be harsh for the sake of being harsh. I just prefer to be bluntly honest, as it saves everyone a lot of time and keeps the discussion from bloating, and keeps everyone in line.

That is not your job to be concerned with. You should worry more about keeping yourself in line in regards to the guidelines of this forum. There is no reason to attack another member for creating a thread that will possibly lead to a discussion and something we as Viking fans want to see (A youth movement).

VD has every right to open a thread such as this, and there is no reason to attack him for doing so.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spielman's interest in creating a youth movement is a positive goal.

Guys like Shiancoe, EJ Henderson, Hutchinson, Herrera, and Ced Griffin need to start packing there bags.

While we want to see a youth movement, is everyone going to be patient if it takes a few years to add the talent to be a playoff caliber team? Or will this forum continue to run with extreme negatively and discontent with Spielman/Frazier as they attempt to build a sustainable team in the long run.
Freakout

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

Guys like Shiancoe, EJ Henderson, Hutchinson, Herrera, and Ced Griffin need to start packing there bags.

While we want to see a youth movement, is everyone going to be patient if it takes a few years to add the talent to be a playoff caliber team? Or will this forum continue to run with extreme negatively and discontent with Spielman/Frazier as they attempt to build a sustainable team in the long run.

Yup. It seems like common sense but the team hasn't operated that way the last few years.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concur, this is good news in general.

It will be better news if they actually get guys that are good on the team. They keep bragging about how 10 guys made the team from last year. Who cares? Not one of them did diddly last year, on a team that stunk, not one rookie shined. Tyrell Johnson made the team, that didn't mean it was a good thing.

I partially blame the HC, for refusing to play young guys until he had no other choice. I partially blame the FO for the drafting and acquisitions.

All that said, I'm glad this organization finally realizes that it needs some new blood on the roster.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Yup. It seems like common sense but the team hasn't operated that way the last few years.

Agreed, when Childress seemed to run things, it was more about keeping loyal to older vets and not looking to improve the team in the long run and aim for short term success.

Now that Spielman is the GM, he sees the big picture that he has to get younger. The team wont get younger relying on free agency like Childress did, they will get younger by building through the draft.

Again, that takes time. Many years of hitting on picks.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

That is not your job to be concerned with. You should worry more about keeping yourself in line in regards to the guidelines of this forum. There is no reason to attack another member for creating a thread that will possibly lead to a discussion and something we as Viking fans want to see (A youth movement).

VD has every right to open a thread such as this, and there is no reason to attack him for doing so.

Hold your horses there. I am most certainly not attacking vd; if you'll notice, the only time anyone was directly addressed at all was vd saying that I have a "bad attitude," which you seem to have overlooked. If anything, you should be concerned with performing your duties as a mod properly and fairly.

I am not attacking vd, and I am sure vd, being the stand-up guy that he is, can confirm that.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
There is no reason to attack another member for creating a thread that will possibly lead to a discussion and something we as Viking fans want to see (A youth movement).

oh it's ok, i never took it as any form of personal "attack." it was more an attack on Spielman.

i guess to further my point and to make mention of Mugen's disdain for just talk, that's all Spielman really can do right now. until actual roster moves are made, we won't see if he's talking the talk or walking the walk.

but the talk is of the right direction, that is the point i am making.

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Hold your horses there. I am most certainly not attacking vd; if you'll notice, the only time anyone was directly addressed at all was vd saying that I have a "bad attitude," which you seem to have overlooked. If anything, you should be concerned with performing your duties as a mod properly and fairly.

I am not attacking vd, and I am sure vd, being the stand-up guy that he is, can confirm that.

yes, you see that i have confirmed it already.

but i won't support the comment i bolded in red. being a mod here is tough, believe me. if you have a criticism of one, do it privately, not divert a discussion away with a jab like that.

now back to our regularly scheduled on topic complaining.

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Your right, i ought to be concerned with performing my duties as a mod.

And those duties include creating a community where members dont get jumped on for creating a topic that can reasonably be discussed. Calling a thread pointless and your intention on keeping the forum in line is not very welcoming for future members who are interested in creating threads. Remember there a lot of newbies, a lot of lurkers, last thing we want is for them to feel uncomfortable at the thought of creating a new thread as the risk of someone judging that thread as pointless.

Its really not a big a deal, if you want to discuss this further you can PM me. Otherwise, let's just drop it and return to talking about football.

VD is a cool cat, I am well aware of that, but you just called his thread pointless. He has feelings you know.
Yfz01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabble rabble Spielman rabble rabble.

Now if only he could reset the clock two years. Laughing

Lil Uno with the sig.
DJC71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Ponder at #12?

J/k VD. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: