Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rick Spielman's Yute Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra ammo for the Yute movement.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
Quote:

Spielman confirmed it is a sixth-round pick they got for Jayme Mitchell. Also got a seventh in Moss deal. Got nothing for Reynaud.

They have eight picks. Expecting to fourth-rounders for Edwards and Rice, but as we all know, that formula is complicated.

www.twitter.com/tompelissero
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why they would have expected anything for Reynaud, considering he was traded away...

EDIT: Oh, I saw a clarification in the Twitter feed, the trade involved a conditional 7th rd pick. They didn't get the conditional 7th (which shouldn't be surprising as he now plays for the Titans.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You rarely get to hear the details about this process...

Quote:
Rick Spielman provided four reporters with a unique look at that process, granting temporary access to the interview room and allowing the reporters to sit in on his own interview with one of the draft prospects, Auburn long snapper Josh Harris.

It was a setup -- the Vikings had no character concerns about Harris, and he happily agreed to let reporters record the interview.

Nonetheless, it was a rare glimpse into the pre-draft world.

Do you ever run into a situation where you know a guy's lying to you?
Oh yeah.

What do you do then?
Just keeping going.

Let him keep lying to you?
Yep. Tells you a lot about the kid. What am I going to say? 'You're lying?'

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/One_lie_in_interview_tells_you_a_lot_Vikings_GM_Rick_Spielman_says012412

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Spielman: "It will be, I think, very busy on draft day. We're the third overall pick, so we'll be looking at all the options. If someone wants to come up and get our pick, we’re going to be more than willing to listen."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/37885/bbao-vikings-will-listen-to-offers-for-no-3

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Rick Spielman: "It will be, I think, very busy on draft day. We're the third overall pick, so we'll be looking at all the options. If someone wants to come up and get our pick, we’re going to be more than willing to listen."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/37885/bbao-vikings-will-listen-to-offers-for-no-3

You have to wonder how willing a team would be to go up and get the Vikings 3rd pick if RGIII is off the board. Is there enough value in Kalil or Claiborne for some team to want to make a deal with MN.
milanb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Yeah, he was on the NFL Network yesterday.

I still think the best scenario for the Vikings is to trade down into the teens and grab a one-gap DT like Fletcher Cox or Jerel Worthy, and they would get an extra second-rounder to add a CB or S. That could go a long way towards shoring up the defence.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Yeah, he was on the NFL Network yesterday.

I still think the best scenario for the Vikings is to trade down into the teens and grab a one-gap DT like Fletcher Cox or Jerel Worthy, and they would get an extra second-rounder to add a CB or S. That could go a long way towards shoring up the defence.

Then you pass up a truly elite LT prospect in Kalil. NT is a need, but we need to work on an Oline that has gotten progressively worse since Birk left.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Adopt A Viking: Brian Robison

GS: 9 TKLS: 15 SK: 3.0 FF: 0 FR: 1 TD: 1 PD: 2
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Then you pass up a truly elite LT prospect in Kalil. NT is a need, but we need to work on an Oline that has gotten progressively worse since Birk left.

I haven't done enough research to know whether Martin or Reiff are that significant of a drop-off from Kalil to not at least consider trading down and adding picks. But, I certainly wouldn't expect them to trade down to the teens...maybe to 7 or 8, but certainly not the teens.

And it would be a disservice to the process not to at least listen to what other teams might offer. If some team offers something similar to what the Falcons offered the Browns for Julio Jones, do you not actually consider it?

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I certainly wouldn't expect them to trade down to the teens...maybe to 7 or 8, but certainly not the teens.

yes, because the cost to the other team to move up to #3 is very high.

in researching mocks with WASH trading from #6 to our #3, it would realistically cost them their #6, their 2nd round pick, and their 4th round pick.

for someone to trade up from 10-12 to our #3 would be so much that the picked player probably isn't worth it.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why people think that there won't be interest if RGIII is off the board. If that's the case, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Kalil are all still on the board. They could generate significant trade interest as well.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
I don't know why people think that there won't be interest if RGIII is off the board. If that's the case, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Kalil are all still on the board. They could generate significant trade interest as well.

Doubtful. There just isnt that much value in those positions relative to a potential franchise Qb. Once Griffin is off the board at pick 2, MN is in a spot where they wont likely be able to trade down. I mean who needs Kalil enough to throw away a bunch of draft picks? The Bills and Chiefs are the only ones that make sense. However, the Chiefs have Branden Albert who has been an excellent player so I am not sure they even need Kalil, DeCastro seems like the best option at 11. The bills need a LT if Demetrius Bell leaves, so they could possibly look to trade up for Kalil. Then again, why wouldnt Buffalo just keep the picks and take Riley Reiff, who will all seem to like as a prospect.

Claiborne will probably attract more interest than Kalil simply because St. Louis (assuming they trade out of pick 2 as they should), Jax, Carolina, Washington and Tampa will all be looking at Claiborne. But is parting ways with a 2nd round to get in position to take Claiborne at pick 3 really good value for a team in the top 10 who likely has several other needs in a deep CB class?

Bottom line, if Griffin is selected at pick 2 (surely the Rams will take any trade offer that is made to MN), MN has to pick a player at 3 and this idea of compiling draft picks goes out the window. I think the idea trading down is always a fantasy for fans of every team, more picks is always more fun. In most cases, trading down is near impossible becuase you have to give up valuable draft picks to make it happen.

I think the only feasible way MN trades down is if the Rams fall in love with Claiborne or Kalil at pick 2, most likely Claiborne since they have Saffold.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If RGIII is off the board then I dont think we'll trade down.

Likely the only person some teams may be interested in is Claiborne then.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:

Doubtful. There just isnt that much value in those positions relative to a potential franchise Qb. Once Griffin is off the board at pick 2, MN is in a spot where they wont likely be able to trade down. I mean who needs Kalil enough to throw away a bunch of draft picks? The Bills and Chiefs are the only ones that make sense. However, the Chiefs have Branden Albert who has been an excellent player so I am not sure they even need Kalil, DeCastro seems like the best option at 11. The bills need a LT if Demetrius Bell leaves, so they could possibly look to trade up for Kalil. Then again, why wouldnt Buffalo just keep the picks and take Riley Reiff, who will all seem to like as a prospect.

Claiborne will probably attract more interest than Kalil simply because St. Louis (assuming they trade out of pick 2 as they should), Jax, Carolina, Washington and Tampa will all be looking at Claiborne. But is parting ways with a 2nd round to get in position to take Claiborne at pick 3 really good value for a team in the top 10 who likely has several other needs in a deep CB class?

Bottom line, if Griffin is selected at pick 2 (surely the Rams will take any trade offer that is made to MN), MN has to pick a player at 3 and this idea of compiling draft picks goes out the window. I think the idea trading down is always a fantasy for fans of every team, more picks is always more fun. In most cases, trading down is near impossible becuase you have to give up valuable draft picks to make it happen.

I think the only feasible way MN trades down is if the Rams fall in love with Claiborne or Kalil at pick 2, most likely Claiborne since they have Saffold.

Julio Jones.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While trade-ups for OL don't occur all that often, it should be noted that, in 2000, the Redskins gave up 2 1st rounders, a 4th, and a 5th to move to #3 from #12 and drafted OT Chris Samuels, who was a fine OT for many years.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Purplexing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julio Jones and Chris Samuels were rare exceptions to the vikingsrule... rule.

This year, the only such players are the 2 QBs. The Combine may change that, but it doesn't seem like anyone has potential to make such a surprising leap up in draft status.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: