Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rick Spielman's Yute Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purplexing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the open style of communication, without revealing secrets, that Spielman has brought to the Vikings as a newly promoted GM.

He is distinguishing his long run approach philosophy from those of ex-Coachilly ( relied on ex-Iggles to patch holes, clung to TJax rather than move on, went 'all-in' with Favre, and ignored rebuilding the OL and DBs ) and Frazier ( pushed for McNabb b/c he mistakenly thought the Vikings were going to be competitive with their 2011 roster ).

I previously (early 2011?) said the Vikings were rebuilding (silently), and this story (practically) confirms that was Spielman's philosophy ( recall his "blow it up" remark about a year ago? ) all along.

Spielman's get 'younger' approach means some of the vet's skills are on the decline, so they are rebuilding depth behind key vets, and preparing the backups to be ready to take over when the vets performance level mirrors that of McNabb.

He mentioned the long run planning horizon, which is often ignored in most mock off season plans I see here, bar a few. Teams do not often plan to go 'all in'. Similarly, our more thoughtful posters have provided us with salary and other contract information on Vikings roster players that stretch out into several future years.... b/c they realize the value of a carefully designed plan for a team.

Whether Spielman succeeds or fails, his is the correct way to manage personnel on a football team that owners plan to own for more than 1 year.

Those who seek or expect instant gratification will be disappointed by this (Spielman's) approach. IMO, the approach is used effectively by teams like NE, GB, NYG, and Pittsburgh, to remain competitive in most years.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJC71 wrote:
But Ponder at #12?

J/k VD. Smile

kill me now.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
Sorry if I seem harsh, I don't mean to be harsh for the sake of being harsh. I just prefer to be bluntly honest, as it saves everyone a lot of time and keeps the discussion from bloating, and keeps everyone in line.

I give you props for the Pesci tie-in (I'm a big fan).

That is not your job to be concerned with. You should worry more about keeping yourself in line in regards to the guidelines of this forum. There is no reason to attack another member for creating a thread that will possibly lead to a discussion and something we as Viking fans want to see (A youth movement).

VD has every right to open a thread such as this, and there is no reason to attack him for doing so.

Hold your horses there. I am most certainly not attacking vd; if you'll notice, the only time anyone was directly addressed at all was vd saying that I have a "bad attitude," which you seem to have overlooked. If anything, you should be concerned with performing your duties as a mod properly and fairly.

I am not attacking vd, and I am sure vd, being the stand-up guy that he is, can confirm that.

Your right, i ought to be concerned with performing my duties as a mod.

And those duties include creating a community where members dont get jumped on for creating a topic that can reasonably be discussed. Calling a thread pointless and your intention on keeping the forum in line is not very welcoming for future members who are interested in creating threads. Remember there a lot of newbies, a lot of lurkers, last thing we want is for them to feel uncomfortable at the thought of creating a new thread as the risk of someone judging that thread as pointless.

Its really not a big a deal, if you want to discuss this further you can PM me. Otherwise, let's just drop it and return to talking about football.

VD is a cool cat, I am well aware of that, but you just called his thread pointless. He has feelings you know.

No problem, I'll PM you in a bit. I'm willing to accept that I was wrong, but I believe you are out of line yourself, so we'll talk it over.

Go Vikings.

Peppers90 on the sig.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
DJC71 wrote:
But Ponder at #12?

J/k VD. Smile

kill me now.

Laughing

It always comes full circle.

Peppers90 on the sig.
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me Spielman just had a an epiphany. Amazing how a job description can tell you what to do.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
o problem, I'll PM you in a bit. I'm willing to accept that I was wrong, but I believe you are out of line yourself, so we'll talk it over.

see? now don't come back online publically and say this. do it solely in a PM. because in effect you AGAIN discuss your view of a moderator. webby is clear we do not do that, we discuss football.

i know that i am continuing it in effect by bringing it up again, but it's an important point to me. when a moderator tells any of us to cool it and don't do it again and PM them if they need further clarification, then that's it. it's done being discussed.

we all have to look at our own postings and public persona here, because all any of us can affect is our own posting. don't blame others. the root of this messy little mess is saying a thread is worthless instead of fiinding some other more tactful way to express yourself.

daddy disappoinited. daddy want it all to stop. daddy want members to know when they should back down.

daddy done for day at FF. daddy hope sons are nicer sons when he come back later tonight.

daddy hope to only read about Ponder's draft ranking in Ponder threads. daddy delusional.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Alright. No problem.

Peppers90 on the sig.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so they are actually getting the idea? The Steelers, Patriots, Packers, Giants and many other teams have been doing this for years.

Guess its never too late. Laughing

Its never too late to go into the right direction. Hopefully we follow through, and we can see what a true built roster looks like sometime soon.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
milanb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Nothing groundbreaking here.

I agree.

Spielman tooting his own horn again.

The team is getting old and it's all Childress' and Frazier's fault. It couldn't possibly be due to Spielman's mediocre draft history.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. ó Ecclesiastes 9:11

But thatís the way to bet. ó Jimmy The Greek
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

I agree.

The team is getting old and it's all Childress' and Frazier's fault. It couldn't possibly be due to Spielman's mediocre draft history.

i do agree with this also.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
milanb wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

I agree.

Its hard to judge Spielman's involvement in the past drafts. He never had the title of GM until now, so I have a hard time pinning the draft failures since 2007 on Spielman since he was not given full control. Now he has that, and we can start to judge his performance in 2012.

Spielman has expressed a desire to get younger for two years now, you have to wonder why that never came out when Childress was the HC. Perhaps Childress was very controlling with how he wanted the team to be built. MN had a very good draft last year with Spielman and Frazier running things, hopefully that can continue.
El Raymundo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
While we want to see a youth movement, is everyone going to be patient if it takes a few years to add the talent to be a playoff caliber team?

Yup.

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Raymundo wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
While we want to see a youth movement, is everyone going to be patient if it takes a few years to add the talent to be a playoff caliber team?

Yup.

Blasphemy! I am seeing the outrage and impatience already.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, it's superbowl or bust for me. Cool

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
ktarinze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
milanb wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

I agree.

this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: