Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
I would advocate again for Maurice Stovall b/c (1) solid pass catcher; (2) blocks well; and (3) plays ST / gunner (also should be willing to play for minimum)

I've liked Stovall since his days at Notre Dame; He and WR Jeff Samardzjia made up a nice 1/2 combo for QB Brady Quinn to become a household name, even though Quinn was absolutely abysmal.

Stovall was the #2 WR for that ND offense, and he had a nice set of skills to lean on; He's a HUGE target to throw to at 6' 5" and while he doesn't have burner speed, he's got a good catch radius and plays with a lot of technicality to his game. He runs good routes, and makes space with some nice double moves. Working in a Charlie Weis offense means that the Xs and Os part of the game should be standard; That's about as pro level as you can get in the NFL, and Stovall really took to the new offense prior to making the jump to the NFL.

Samardzjia was arguably one of the best WRs I had seen back then, right on par with the likes of Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Jarrett (when Jarrett was a beast at USC) and I really think he could of been a pretty good WR in the NFL. Alas, he opted to sign with the Chicago Cubs to play P for them, and last I checked, he's part of the starting rotation for the Cubbys...so can't fault him for that.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never impressed with Shark as a prospect. He would have ran a slow 40 time, and at most I see him a possession receiver. He is basically what Jarrett was when he came out and did at the combine. He did the right thing by staying in MLB instead.

Quote:
I wouldnt be suprised to see us sign Braylon Edwards. He is a superb blocker and deep threat. And he has still yet to have a legit QB throwing him the ball. I think we take a flier on him.

Doubt he would sign for the vet mininum, but if he did I wouldnt mind signing him. We only have 2 vet receivers on the team and everybody else in young. My only knack on Braylon is his drops, and isn't he coming off of an injury this past season? He couldnt even crack the Niners lineup last season every game. Niners didnt even have a good receiving corp this past season like they have this upcoming season.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
I was never impressed with Shark as a prospect. He would have ran a slow 40 time, and at most I see him a possession receiver. He is basically what Jarrett was when he came out and did at the combine. He did the right thing by staying in MLB instead.

I LOVED the Shark. He was slow, but he was a long strider - think like Arian Foster. He had that eye to find an open lane, a really good open field runner, ran tough with good balance, was able to get a lot of YAC when he got the ball. He also had a nose for the end zone; He'd catch a pass, find a lane and just glide right past people en route to the end zone.

He also had some of the best hands and an amazing catch radius, on par with the likes of Larry Fitzgerald; He's just go skyward and pull down some errant throws, and always came in bounds with two feet. He would of been like a Cris Carter-esque WR in the NFL, someone who beat you with things other than speed.

He still owns the title of "greatest catch I've seen in a game" with his one handed snag against Purdue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZDZ6v2fzeo

I agree, he picked the right sport...but he could of been a very good WR in this league with his skills.

texans_uk

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching ND highlights.... how did Brady Quinn not become a good QB...

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:

Wrong system, wrong coaching, no real targets to throw to - a litany of things went wrong with him in Cleveland, and by the time he latched onto a team that could of used him, Tebow-mania was in full swing and he was unceremoniously demoted.

I doubt he can turn it around - heck, I doubt he even gets a chance to turn it around - but you can't help but to feel bad for the guy. He never really got a fair shake, and the skills were there...

kenney

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:

Agreed, my best friend and I talk about this all the time. Neither of us can understand how Quinn isn't a top QB. Everything in terms of skillset was present...

Hopefully he can beat out Cassell in KC.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

Agreed, my best friend and I talk about this all the time. Neither of us can understand how Quinn isn't a top QB. Everything in terms of skillset was present...

He is certainly an enigma, but I can't quite explain why he doesn't even get a chance (I don't put much credence in the QB evaluation skills of Crennel, Managini, McDaniels, or even Fox). He seems to be stuck in an Alex Smith vortex where people just love to rag on him for being a bust, but for goodness sakes the only real shot he was given was in 2009 with Eric Mangini's stupid system that featured Jereme Harrison as a lead back and had Quinn throwing to absolutely the most talentless group of receivers ever assembled including Massaquoi, Stuckey, Furrey, Robiskie, and Cribbs.

He absolutely deserved a shot in Denver, but Tebow mania quickly obscured any shot he had despite the primary knock on Quinn being his accuracy and he is a laser compared to Tebow. The only other thing I will say about Quinn is that his yoked physique is certainly cause for concern as bodybuilding not only sends up major PED red flags, but I would think that it could certainly contribute to his accuracy problems as his flexibility almost has to be compromised. He also seems to have been able to establish little respect by coaches and teammates since Notre Dame, so I suspect the pretty boy good looks have led to a Leinart-esque image for working harder on his hair and guns than his playbook. You have to think KC is the best opportunity for him to get PT considering Cassel's low ceiling, but KC is also not the type of town that will put up with a guy not willing to put the work in. His girlfriend gives them some flexibility though...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
TexansFan23

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking to the recent veteran WR speculation: What about Chad Ochocinco? Not a free agent yet, but possibly on the outs with all the receivers the Patriots have been grabbing.

Credit: mike23md
kenney

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
kenney wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

He is certainly an enigma, but I can't quite explain why he doesn't even get a chance (I don't put much credence in the QB evaluation skills of Crennel, Managini, McDaniels, or even Fox). He seems to be stuck in an Alex Smith vortex where people just love to rag on him for being a bust, but for goodness sakes the only real shot he was given was in 2009 with Eric Mangini's stupid system that featured Jereme Harrison as a lead back and had Quinn throwing to absolutely the most talentless group of receivers ever assembled including Massaquoi, Stuckey, Furrey, Robiskie, and Cribbs.

He absolutely deserved a shot in Denver, but Tebow mania quickly obscured any shot he had despite the primary knock on Quinn being his accuracy and he is a laser compared to Tebow. The only other thing I will say about Quinn is that his yoked physique is certainly cause for concern as bodybuilding not only sends up major PED red flags, but I would think that it could certainly contribute to his accuracy problems as his flexibility almost has to be compromised. He also seems to have been able to establish little respect by coaches and teammates since Notre Dame, so I suspect the pretty boy good looks have led to a Leinart-esque image for working harder on his hair and guns than his playbook. You have to think KC is the best opportunity for him to get PT considering Cassel's low ceiling, but KC is also not the type of town that will put up with a guy not willing to put the work in. His girlfriend gives them some flexibility though...

Despite the fact that Quinn is a giant "delta-bravo" (sorry for the Rome reference, but the word is banned on the site), I can't help but root for the guy. I don't know why, either. I hate Notre Dame, I hate pretty boys, and I'm generally not all too fond of QBs in general... but I guess I feel slighted by the fact that Quinn has so far failed so spectacularly and I was SO sure that he was going to be the real deal.

In fact, I remember that part of the reason I was so furious when we traded for Schaub was because I wanted us to draft Quinn.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828f2f69/article/five-best-freeagent-wide-receivers-available-?module=HP11_content_stream

Article on NFL.com about the best remaining wr's left on the market. I wouldnt mind brining in Plaxico for a 1 year deal. We would be deadly in the redzone, and he had 600 yards and 8 touchdowns on a team with an average QB. Just imagine if he had a good QB throwing it to him.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828f2f69/article/five-best-freeagent-wide-receivers-available-?module=HP11_content_stream

Article on NFL.com about the best remaining wr's left on the market. I wouldnt mind brining in Plaxico for a 1 year deal. We would be deadly in the redzone, and he had 600 yards and 8 touchdowns on a team with an average QB. Just imagine if he had a good QB throwing it to him.

Funny how nobody seems to have any need for all of these tall slow possession receivers who can't separate (+ short Mark Clayton who can't run & Braylon who couldn't catch even when he was fast, but now can't run). I'll pass on all of them. I'd much rather have a #4, #5 type who can contribute on special teams or a blocking TE that we need in the red zone / short yardage.

jch1911

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

Funny how nobody seems to have any need for all of these tall slow possession receivers who can't separate (+ short Mark Clayton who can't run & Braylon who couldn't catch even when he was fast, but now can't run). I'll pass on all of them. I'd much rather have a #4, #5 type who can contribute on special teams or a blocking TE that we need in the red zone / short yardage.

Exactly why I mention Stovall! I agree with your perception of our needs and I think Stovall fills them all (even can serve as a move TE).

I also think the FO is planning to roll with either Brock or Supernaw as our blocking TE. They seem to have the ability, but they are both unheralded rookies - as was Dreessen several years ago, but he was drafted by the Jets IIRC (as primarily a long snapper). Think
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB Justin Forsett coming in for a visit. Prototype ZBS one cut runner that I wanted in 08 instead of the absurd Alex Brink pick. Guy is an MJD type bowling ball, has solid hands as a 3rd down back, and also can contribute as a kickoff and punt returner. Doesn't belong as a starter as Seattle did 7 times in 09/10, but we could do worse for a #3 back who will come cheap.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4819/justin-forsett

texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justin forsett did good things in seattle when he was given a shot.

dont know what happened here.

Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
RB Justin Forsett coming in for a visit. Prototype ZBS one cut runner that I wanted in 08 instead of the absurd Alex Brink pick. Guy is an MJD type bowling ball, has solid hands as a 3rd down back, and also can contribute as a kickoff and punt returner. Doesn't belong as a starter as Seattle did 7 times in 09/10, but we could do worse for a #3 back who will come cheap.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4819/justin-forsett

I wouldnt mind him as our 3rd down RB. It looks more and more like we won't give Ward another look, and I'm not impressed with who we have at RB currently behind Foster and Tate. Just like you guys said, a RB with ZBS experience is a plus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: