Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dynasty vs Great Run
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Dynasty vs Great Run Reply with quote

What does everyone think is the difference between a dynasty and a great run in college football?

I started thinking about this with the talk of Alabama being a dynasty with their 3 National Championships in 4 years, but does that really constitute a dynasty compared to just a great run?

IMO I think Alabama is on one of greatest runs in college football history considering how recruiting, scholarships, etc have all changed, but I'm not quite ready to call them a dynasty. Based off the final AP poll for the past decade:

2002: 11th
2003: Unranked
2004: Unranked
2005: 8th
2006: Unranked
2007: Unranked
2008: 6th
2009: 1st
2010: 10th
2011: 1st
2012: 1st

So since 2002 they've finished the season unranked 4 times by the AP. Now you compare it to a team like Ohio State.

2002: 1st
2003: 4th
2004: 20th
2005: 4th
2006: 2nd
2007: 5th
2008: 9th
2009: 5th
2010: 5th
2011: Unranked
2012: 3rd

So since 2002 they've finished outside of the top 10 only twice and only once were they unranked. Although they've only had one championship, they've still won 5 BCS bowl games total. The continued success over so many years I think make it more of a dynasty while Alabama is on a great run.

Now I will also say that I don't see Alabama slowing down much unless Saban leaves and will get to the level of continued success that Ohio State has been able to enjoy and will likely continue under Meyer, just curious what others think as well.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1987 2nd
1988 3rd
1989 3rd
1990 4th
1991 4th
1992 2nd
1993 1st National Champions
1994 4th
1995 4th
1996 3rd
1997 3rd
1998 3rd
1999 1st National Champions
2000 5th

11 bowl wins
9 ACC championships in 9 years
2 Heisman Trophy winners
2 national championships.

That's a dynasty.
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Cheesehead. That's pretty amazing. Ohio State hasn't been quite as good but I think they're close.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
thrILL!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dynasty vs Great Run Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
IMO I think Alabama is on one of greatest runs in college football history but I'm not quite ready to call them a dynasty.

What a shocker. Laughing

The Buffalo Bills of the 90's weren't a dynasty. Why? Bcuz they didn't win any rings. Rings define the dynasty. 3 out of 4 and more on the way = dynasty.

Amari Cooper for Heisman - 90 rec. 1349 yds, 11 TDs
devils1854

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dynasty vs Great Run Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Raves wrote:
IMO I think Alabama is on one of greatest runs in college football history but I'm not quite ready to call them a dynasty.

What a shocker. Laughing

The Buffalo Bills of the 90's weren't a dynasty. Why? Bcuz they didn't win any rings. Rings define the dynasty. 3 out of 4 and more on the way = dynasty.

agreed

No rings in 10 years=not a dynasty

Oh, and why not go by the coaches poll since its part of the BCS Formula that gives out that pretty crystal trophy?

#JDI
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dynasty vs Great Run Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
thrILL! wrote:
Raves wrote:

What a shocker. Laughing

agreed

No rings in 10 years=not a dynasty

Oh, and why not go by the coaches poll since its part of the BCS Formula that gives out that pretty crystal trophy?

Patriots or Giants then?

Patriots haven't won in 10 years or maybe just one, but always right there.

Giants have 2 in the past 4, after this year's over, but have a spotty resume in even making the playoffs not just success in it.

Also a majority of coaches have come out and admitted they don't watch a lot of college football and have other staff members fill out their cards for them. Also the AP poll also has the ability to take everything into account and is from a larger pool of voters making it a better choice than something selective. Pretty sure if you went with the Coaches poll the results would be near identical, outside Ohio State being unable to be voted on this year and therefore not ranked. That obviously doesn't take away from their play on the field so using the AP poll, which is normally almost identical to the coaches/BCS polls, is more accurate.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Roll Tide Hater Roll Tide!!! ^^^

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
ICE13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really comes down to what timespan you're using. USC of the middle 2000's was considered a Dynasty and they only clocked in at what, 7 years?

Bama's has been doing this for around 6 right? Yeah, I'd call'em a dynasty

"As always, criminal justice proceedings, if any, take precedence over any NCAA actions" - Mark Emmert, 1982
cortes02

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dynasty is different in college then it is in the Pros in my opinion. Championships are what make a dynasty in college due to the fact that their are so many college football teams that can win it as opposed to 32 NFL teams that have a chance every year. Also, in college football, one loss during the regular season can doom title hopes for most teams while in the NFL, you can lose 5-6 games and still make the playoffs and win the Superbowl. I am by no means a Bama fan but I have to give credit when credit is due and at this moment in time, if 3 championships in 4 years isn't a Dynasty, then I'm not sure what is.

Peace!!

Sig By Kempes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RollEagles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Alabama isn't a dynasty right now but Ohio State is?

"Hate-hate-hate-hate-hate-hate-hate-hate-hate"

One of three programs in history to win 3 out of 4 and it's not a dynasty?

"Hate-hate-hate-hate-hate-hate-hate-hate-hate"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio State is the spitting image of a good run. They're the Atlanta Braves, Buffalo Bills, New York Knicks of CFB. Impressive run but minimal hardware to show for it.

And rather than looking at what Bama has done over the past decade, it seems more relevant to focus more on the time that Saban has been there. In 6 years he's done more than most could hope to accomplish in 20-30 years. So to answer your question, yes Bama is absolutely a dynasty.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon has finished top 11 for 5 straight years which is the longest streak to date. Does that count? Laughing

Sig bet
RollEagles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dynasty vs Great Run Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
What does everyone think is the difference between a dynasty and a great run in college football?

Dynasty = winning championships. Great run = winning games without winning championships. (Ohio State, Oregon)

Raves wrote:
I started thinking about this with the talk of Alabama being a dynasty with their 3 National Championships in 4 years, but does that really constitute a dynasty compared to just a great run?

Yes it does constitute a dynasty. Failing to win it all bumps you down to the great run tier.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is bama a dynasty? your damn right. A dynasty under Saban and thats all that matters

he never said OSU was a dynasty but they could be on the verge of becoming under with meyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGH
Buno Raves and Cheesehead in the same thread.

Lets see this one get entertaining.

Laughing

Yes Bama is a Dynasty.
No Ohio State hasn't been one this decade.
Top 5ish Sure...Dynasty..NOPE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: