Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KC offense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you expect out of the offense?
Top half (about same as last year)
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Worse than last year
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Better than last year but not top 10
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Top 10
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Top 5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: KC offense Reply with quote

Am I wrong to suddenly be overly excited about the offensive prospects for 2015? I mean, much moreso than the defense...I know they'll be top 5ish and may even improve from last year (what if the DB's like, you know, actually catch the ball???), but not near as much as the offense could. Will they remain #1 in RZ defense?

ALL the documented offensive struggles...OL, WR's, Mcglynn, no WR TD's, only one star, QB not throwing downfield, yet still somehow 16th in points, 13th in points per drive, 17th yards per play, 15th in offense adjusted for SOS.

I spose it is somewhat known KC was middle of the pack offensively, but I think it is overlooked right now and rather mind boggling when you think about it. Especially with how the offense is perceived around the league. A creative HC and good QB who doesn't turn it over can go along way.

We still won't be a juggernaut with Alex at QB and an average at best OL. Or can Alex, with the right pieces, score just as well as other top QB's for the most part...only not as fast and not as good in the 2 minute drill?

Just think about what was accomplished last year with Charles as the only star player. Now compare to this year in addition to Charles we have Maclin and Kelce as the FULL TIME STARTER and full time THREAT...cool. Wilson in the mix from the start (no Hammond or Jenkins) DAT with a bigger role. Even consider worse case and Kush/Morse is the Mcglynn of last year and the OL doesn't improve. Well based on last year, we'll somehow survive and even improve with the extra star power and secondary threats.

Now what if the OL improves? Still not a top 10 offense on paper, but Andy Reid combined with a QB who doesn't turn it over and uses his legs, a top tier group of skill players, and a competent OL can be a top 10 offense.

What is this offense capable of? One positive thing they must keep doing is RZ Touchdowns, ranking 3rd and 9th the past two years. Any reason why that won't continue?

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than last year, but not top 10 does not leave much room. I have faith that the attention given to the OL will pay off. Kelce and Charles will be up a notch. Maclin will replace Bowe with room to spare. Top ten, but just.

This is also an offense with a lot of weight on three key people, with no depth. An injury to Kelce or Smith would cause serious problems. JC has a bit of bepth, but I am not comfortable with Knile for a long stretch.

All that said, this defense can crush rocks and the ST may be better. Field position will not score you a lot of points, but it sure makes things easier.

J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While an injury could derail us quite a bit, I think we can rest in the fact that we can sustain a QB injury more than other teams. Chase is a drop off, but much less of a killer than if Rivers, manning, Flacco, Ben, Luck, or Brady went down.

On the other hand an injury to Maclin or Kelce or even Charles would be more of a blow than those same teams losing similar skill players. We can't offset it with outstanding QB play. Ravens can't afford to lose much either...they don't really have much skill wise and Flacco hasn't ever really carried a team through a regular season. Their OL health is important.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
ViperVisor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 10 in points per drive.

http://thefakefootball.com/2015-fantasy-football-outlook-kansas-city-chiefs/
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am predicting that they will be in the 10-15 range. So early to guess though. The offensive line will be the true key to their level of success.

"I can't get a life if my heart's not in it."
{ Noel Gallagher }
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViperVisor wrote:
Top 10 in points per drive.

http://thefakefootball.com/2015-fantasy-football-outlook-kansas-city-chiefs/

I agree with this. Don't know if we'll crack the top 10 in points, but do think this is very likely.

We haven't been a top 10 offense since probly 2005. It's time.

Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody on Twitter last night said we would barely be a CFL offense Laughing Laughing Laughing

We were average last year and I don't see how we could possibly be worse. Remember last year was the first year Jamaal has ever played with leg injuries and didn't feel completely healthy. He'll be better this year, not to mention Kelce should turn into a superstar

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
somebody on Twitter last night said we would barely be a CFL offense Laughing Laughing Laughing

We were average last year and I don't see how we could possibly be worse. Remember last year was the first year Jamaal has ever played with leg injuries and didn't feel completely healthy. He'll be better this year, not to mention Kelce should turn into a superstar

That guy is supposedly credible. The issue with analysts, tweeters, posters, etc...is they get that "no WR TD's and Alex not throwing down field" in their heads and forget to gauge the actual production of the overall offense.

jimmydee1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine with me....CFL offense....let them underestimate us, then when we put 30 or more on them, let them say it was an anomaly....all the way to the playoffs. Don't mind being underestimated at all....gives us the upper hand. Now....GO BEAT SOMEBODY!!!! Wink
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/WR-Albert-Wilson-Tries-to-Build-Upon-Successful-Rookie-Season/ad996335-2963-43de-a560-15821103087b

This article shows the stats from games 13-16 (The "Bert" Games if you will). Alex really hated throwing to Bowe over the last 2 years. Those 4 games Kelce 30 targets, Bert 24, Bowe 23. We will be soooooooooo much better with Conley/Bert/Maclin/Kelce as our pass catchers. They just all fit Alex much better.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/WR-Albert-Wilson-Tries-to-Build-Upon-Successful-Rookie-Season/ad996335-2963-43de-a560-15821103087b

This article shows the stats from games 13-16 (The "Bert" Games if you will). Alex really hated throwing to Bowe over the last 2 years. Those 4 games Kelce 30 targets, Bert 24, Bowe 23. We will be soooooooooo much better with Conley/Bert/Maclin/Kelce as our pass catchers. They just all fit Alex much better.

I won't.

And yes, those pass catchers add to an already potent CFL offense that finished in the top half of the NFL. 15-20 other teams should probly start looking to the CFL for offensive ideas.

mayanfootball

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
I am predicting that they will be in the 10-15 range. So early to guess though. The offensive line will be the true key to their level of success.

Oh, so true
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the poll, I don't think the offense changes much statistically. It's very difficult, just logistically, to have a top 10 scoring offense and top 10 scoring defense. Last year only the two superbowl teams did it, and they were both just on the edge of it (Seattle 1st in D, 10th in O, New England 4th in O, 8th in D.) Great defense leads to more ball control which leads to less scoring. Great offense leads to more aggressive play calling on each side and more clock stoppage. We're obviously in the former category there.

I think the offense will be better. I just think it won't translate statistically. It isn't going to be something where Alex throws for 4000 yards or we put up some 40 point games or anything. I think it's going to just be a situation where we do much better on those late game 3rd downs, we can actually make a legit attempt at late game comebacks, and the offense generally just does a better job of supporting the defense. Because that's their role. That has to be their role. I don't want, need, or expect an elite O. I just want one that can score a TD on 1st and 9 against Denver. An offense that doesn't throw short passes on 3rd and long. And an offense that doesn't repeatedly allow sacks when down in the 4th quarter.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
67 catches, 862 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, one fumble that wasn't a fumble, and one very trolly fumble recovery for a TD
Chiefer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all starts with the OL, if they can at least be competent we'll have a better Offense.

Grubbs should be a big boost next to Fisher/Kush. Kush seems to be taking over that center spot, while right guard has up to 4 guys competing there. Stephenson needs to just prove himself at RT, which I think he has the talent for. Allen/Sherrod are wild cards at tackle.

Fisher just needs to not scrrew up
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
To the poll, I don't think the offense changes much statistically. It's very difficult, just logistically, to have a top 10 scoring offense and top 10 scoring defense. Last year only the two superbowl teams did it, and they were both just on the edge of it (Seattle 1st in D, 10th in O, New England 4th in O, 8th in D.) Great defense leads to more ball control which leads to less scoring. Great offense leads to more aggressive play calling on each side and more clock stoppage. We're obviously in the former category there.

I think the offense will be better. I just think it won't translate statistically. It isn't going to be something where Alex throws for 4000 yards or we put up some 40 point games or anything. I think it's going to just be a situation where we do much better on those late game 3rd downs, we can actually make a legit attempt at late game comebacks, and the offense generally just does a better job of supporting the defense. Because that's their role. That has to be their role. I don't want, need, or expect an elite O. I just want one that can score a TD on 1st and 9 against Denver. An offense that doesn't throw short passes on 3rd and long. And an offense that doesn't repeatedly allow sacks when down in the 4th quarter.

Actually, the poll doesn't deal with just the regular points scored stat. I don't judge a top 10 offense solely on points scored. Points scored by offense is part of it, but also points per drive, and offense adjusted for SOS.

Philly is a good example...as good as Chip Kelly is, Philly was really just a borderline top 10 offense last year despite being 3rd in points. They were 12th in points per drive..one ahead of KC.

KC 2013 is another good example...top 10 in points, but 11 non-offensive TD's. They were more a middle of the pack offense. 19th in points per drive.

And like Viper said in an earlier post..."Top ten in points per drive". If that happens, we're pretty much a top 10 offense in my eyes, considering our schedule.

Yes, it is tough to have both. That's why KC has a chance to be one of the better teams in the league if the offense improves a little. It's not like they were far off last year...#2,#16.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: