Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My 2015 Off Season Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kingseanjohn


Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Posts: 3077
Location: Global
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: My 2015 Off Season Thoughts Reply with quote

It's late and I'm bored. So here's where I think we should go next season.

Re-sign at all costs: Houston (or tag if necessary)
Re-sign with high importance: Hudson, Bailey
Re-sign with right deal: Owens, Mauga, Parker, R Harris, D Harris
Re-sign if cheap: Vickerson, Gafford, Moses, Fleming, Martin, McKnight, Hammond

I know some are UFA, RFA, ERFA which changes things. And we should be getting a number of comp picks but I'm not going to worry about all that for right meow.

Draft!!! I'm assuming we pick in the 16-28 range.

1st: DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville. 6'3 209lbs. I actually may like him more than Amari Cooper. May sound dumb, I know. This might change once I do my full draft scouting. But for reals. I like him. I hope he lasts to our pick. HIGHLIGHTS

2nd: Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State. 6'3 247lbs. I know we have Kelce. But I'm not planning on keeping Fasano after his contract is up. Plus this also gives us a chance to dump him a year early, finally making Kelce the starter. Gives Alex a nice TE duo to throw to for years. TE also becomes a draft requirement imo if we don't re-sign Harris. HIGHLIGHTS

3rd: Marcus Peters, CB, Washington. 6'0 190lbs. I don't know the whole story on why he was kicked off the team. But the talent is there and if Dorsey, Reid, Sutton and Thomas think they can work with him, he should be picked. Couldn't find a decently done highlight video after a quick search.

4th: Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington. 6'3 246lbs. I know, I know we don't need another OLB. But yes we do. This guy is a beast. Makes a living behind the LOS. With Houston's contract still up in the air and Tamba's being up after 2016, I wouldn't mind another body there. I'm not fully sold on Dee Ford being anything more than a rotational pass rusher yet. Oh, he's also a former Judo Champion. I honestly don't think he'll last this far so hopefully we take him with a 3rd round comp pick that I think we'll get. His injury history does concern me a bit. But the talent is there. Couldn't find a highlight video after a quick search.

5th. Landon Turner, OG, North Carolina. 6'4 315lbs. We could use the depth and competition. I don't think Linkenbach will be back. Plus we don't know how well Jeff Allen will do coming back from injury and in a contract year. I'd like to get someone to groom as a replacement now. *He is an underclassman, so he may not declare.

6th. Kaelin Clay, WR, Utah. 5'10 188lbs. Hey, isn't he the guy who caught a 79 yard pass just to drop it short of the goalline today? He sure is! I also think it's pretty safe to say he won't make that mistake again. He posted this on Twitter after the game "I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS GAME BY MY SELFISH ACTIONS...I'll take this one 😔". He's a transfer who hasn't tapped his full potential yet imo. Very speedy guy who can be our WR deep threat and be a KR/PR. COACH TALK/HIGHLIGHTS PRE-UTAH HIGHLIGHTS.

7th. Tevin McDonald, S, Eastern Washington. 5'11 188lbs. If his off-field issues are a thing of the past, he could be a good pickup. I think he'd fit in with us as a FS with some roaming. His dad played for 12 years, 6x All Pro, currently coaching the Jets DBs and his brother TJ currently plays for the Rams. Football is in his blood and he's had a good football mentor growing up. Couldn't find highlights.



TLDR:
DeVante Parker
Nick O'Leary
Marcus Peters
Hau'oli Kikaha
Landon Turner
Kaelin Clay
Tevin McDonald


Thoughts?


**Updated on page 2**
_________________


2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:193/Yds:979/TD:9/YPC:5.1
Rec:38/Yds:283/TD:5


Last edited by kingseanjohn on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jakuvious


Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 10442
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on most points, regarding the free agents. I think most of us are more or less in consensus right now. Pretty clear who matters most. A couple of weeks ago I would've put more emphasis on retaining Owens, but I liked what I saw briefly from Fleming, and if he does well down the stretch, Gaines has been a heck of a player for us at NB, which makes Owens less a priority since we don't normally use two slot corners, even in dime, we use a NB and a S in the slot. But if anything doesn't pan out there, it'd be nice to have a trio of Gaines, Smith, and Owens next year, at worst.

McKnight I'm not sure has a spot here past training camp regardless, just given our talent at that position, but eh. A vet minimum kinda guy isn't worth much discussion as far as the roster goes.

For the draft, I do like Parker. If anything, I'm not sure he gets to us, because I think he'll probably have a nice offseason pre-draft. Now, I don't like him more than Amari, but that's neither here nor there. I suppose he may be there if we miss the postseason, but that's not an option. He is, though, someone I like more in general than I like for us. He's a bit too similar to Bowe, for me. Big bodied guy, great catch radius, good vertical despite not being crazy tall. Not quite as good YAC wise as Bowe, but a bit better long speed. Still not a great route runner or at getting separation in general. Which, with Smith, will translate to the similar lack of production Bowe gets, IMO. Look at that highlight video and ask yourself, how many of those passes does Smith even throw? A lot of jump balls. A lot of passes where he's covered pretty well. But I haven't seen as much of him this year. If his route running and release are improving, I may be swayed. Would be nice to have someone as consistent as he is in terms of catching the ball, I suppose.

Past Parker, my responses really depend on what kind of hypothetical free agency we have. O'Leary, Peters, and Kikaha are all players I like, but they're picks that I would consider luxury picks. Now, that could change in time, pending the status of Fasano, Owens, and Hali/Houston respectively. But it would depend on what we do at positions I see as bigger needs (OG, ILB, maybe DE and RT) at the moment. But then, we may be a good enough team here soon to where we can afford luxury picks. It has been kind of nice this year to not really be counting on a rookie to plug a hole whether that rookie is competent or not.
_________________

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
56 catches, 747 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, and one fumble that wasn't a fumble
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rearviewmirror


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Posts: 18720
Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think O'Leary is athletic enough to be overly successful in the NFL, plus Harris has been really solid blocking this year (surprisingly) and he still buku potential. Would much rather grab any OL spot or ILB
_________________

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KCDiehard88


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 3167
Location: Southwest MO
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the showing of our OLine today, we have to bring in bodies in that area. McGlynn is terribad. We don't know how Allen will come back and it's not like he couldn't have been improved upon anyway. Hudson better be resigned. Harris is decent, Fulton learning. Fisher is developing, but oh so slowly and Stephenson hasn't seen the light of day since his suspension.

We have to be able to protect our QB and simply we are not. I would trade out O'Leary, who just seems average when I have watched FSU, for the highest rated OL available.

But that's just me Smile
_________________
Adopt-A-Chief 2014
Dustin Colquitt P 6-3 210 Tennessee
Punts:42 AVG:44.5 In20:20 Lng:64
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jakuvious


Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 10442
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCDiehard88 wrote:
After the showing of our OLine today, we have to bring in bodies in that area. McGlynn is terribad. We don't know how Allen will come back and it's not like he couldn't have been improved upon anyway. Hudson better be resigned. Harris is decent, Fulton learning. Fisher is developing, but oh so slowly and Stephenson hasn't seen the light of day since his suspension.

We have to be able to protect our QB and simply we are not. I would trade out O'Leary, who just seems average when I have watched FSU, for the highest rated OL available.

But that's just me Smile


Keep in mind who we played against. By this standard, every team that has played against us this year has an absolutely awful RT by virtue of their inability to block Justin Houston.

This is probably the best DL in the league. And they actually did quite well in run blocking after that first drive or two.
_________________

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
56 catches, 747 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, and one fumble that wasn't a fumble
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrowheadRage58


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 4816
Location: Hate for the Donkeys is at a mile high
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Charles had like 10 for 98 after 5 for 0. Alot of it was his speed and the playcalling, but atleast the negative plays stopped.
_________________
49ers Finest wrote:

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
omar72587


Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Posts: 333
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
yeah Charles had like 10 for 98 after 5 for 0. Alot of it was his speed and the playcalling, but atleast the negative plays stopped.


To add to this, the bills d line, front 4 not 7, is fantastic! 4 legitimate probowlers against our young make shift line that we have developed this season, I actually think after that first drive we played well, aside from pass protection.
_________________
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t64/MV8448/Larry-Johnson.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jakuvious


Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 10442
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omar72587 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
yeah Charles had like 10 for 98 after 5 for 0. Alot of it was his speed and the playcalling, but atleast the negative plays stopped.


To add to this, the bills d line, front 4 not 7, is fantastic! 4 legitimate probowlers against our young make shift line that we have developed this season, I actually think after that first drive we played well, aside from pass protection.


And let's be honest, Alex played a solid game, but he wasn't doing our OL any favors. A couple of those were quick throws he just hesitated on.
_________________

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
56 catches, 747 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, and one fumble that wasn't a fumble
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiefer


Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 11639
Location: Somewhere in an Arizona Desert...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
Adopt-A-Chief: Albert Wilson
Catches: 11
Yards: 173
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiefer


Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 11639
Location: Somewhere in an Arizona Desert...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
omar72587 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
yeah Charles had like 10 for 98 after 5 for 0. Alot of it was his speed and the playcalling, but atleast the negative plays stopped.


To add to this, the bills d line, front 4 not 7, is fantastic! 4 legitimate probowlers against our young make shift line that we have developed this season, I actually think after that first drive we played well, aside from pass protection.


And let's be honest, Alex played a solid game, but he wasn't doing our OL any favors. A couple of those were quick throws he just hesitated on.

He was getting a free rusher in his face all game long. Charles couldn't pickup a blitz to save his life, and the OL seemed to be confused on who to block. Hes a guy who's gonna feel phantom pressure and go to his instinct, which is punish a defense with his legs. But he was escaping guys and standing tall in the pocket all game long.

Alex is going to be very beat up this week, you put Brady/Manning in a similar situation they'd wilt like tulips.
_________________
Adopt-A-Chief: Albert Wilson
Catches: 11
Yards: 173
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jakuvious


Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 10442
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
omar72587 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
yeah Charles had like 10 for 98 after 5 for 0. Alot of it was his speed and the playcalling, but atleast the negative plays stopped.


To add to this, the bills d line, front 4 not 7, is fantastic! 4 legitimate probowlers against our young make shift line that we have developed this season, I actually think after that first drive we played well, aside from pass protection.


And let's be honest, Alex played a solid game, but he wasn't doing our OL any favors. A couple of those were quick throws he just hesitated on.

He was getting a free rusher in his face all game long. Charles couldn't pickup a blitz to save his life, and the OL seemed to be confused on who to block. Hes a guy who's gonna feel phantom pressure and go to his instinct, which is punish a defense with his legs. But he was escaping guys and standing tall in the pocket all game long.

Alex is going to be very beat up this week, you put Brady/Manning in a similar situation they'd wilt like tulips.


I don't disagree entirely. But off the top of my head, I'd say 2 or 3 of the 6 sacks were the result of Alex either hesitating on his initial read, or running into a defensive lineman when he panicked to early. The pressure was there, no doubt, and it was pretty damn constant most of the game, but the sack numbers look worse because of Alex's hesitation.
_________________

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
56 catches, 747 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, and one fumble that wasn't a fumble
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mikek163


Joined: 24 Nov 2008
Posts: 5546
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dream mock-

Rounds 1-4 WR
Rounds 5-7 offensive line
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrowheadRage58


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 4816
Location: Hate for the Donkeys is at a mile high
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
My dream mock-

Rounds 1-4 WR
Rounds 5-7 offensive line


I agree. As long as we don't lose any key guys on D, we are going to be good...we could draft a CB, but from what we've seen from Gaines and the secondary as a whole it's really not important.

Just draft one WR after another...get a slot guy, an outside speed guy, and a big bodied guy to replace Bowe eventually. Then take any great value at OG or RT.
_________________
49ers Finest wrote:

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingseanjohn


Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Posts: 3077
Location: Global
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:
My dream mock-

Rounds 1-4 WR
Rounds 5-7 offensive line


I agree. As long as we don't lose any key guys on D, we are going to be good...we could draft a CB, but from what we've seen from Gaines and the secondary as a whole it's really not important.

Just draft one WR after another...get a slot guy, an outside speed guy, and a big bodied guy to replace Bowe eventually. Then take any great value at OG or RT.


I actually debated a bit between Parker and Trae Waynes. If Parker, Strong and Cooper are all gone I'd go Wayne. A good, physical man corner that we could use. Parker, Owens and Fleming are up in 2015. Sean Smith and Cooper's deal are up in 2016. We either need to extend someone soon or draft replacements now.

I really hope that we go BPA before needs.
_________________


2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:193/Yds:979/TD:9/YPC:5.1
Rec:38/Yds:283/TD:5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
samsel23


Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 3577
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:
My dream mock-

Rounds 1-4 WR
Rounds 5-7 offensive line


I agree. As long as we don't lose any key guys on D, we are going to be good...we could draft a CB, but from what we've seen from Gaines and the secondary as a whole it's really not important.

Just draft one WR after another...get a slot guy, an outside speed guy, and a big bodied guy to replace Bowe eventually. Then take any great value at OG or RT.



No thank you.


We are in this position because of our depth, we have depth our FO didn't panic.


if the right guy is there, no doubt WR is a need, but don't draft just to draft. I wouldn't be comfortable with 2 rookie WR's in Andy's system anyways.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group