Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Meet DL Chris Jones
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefs82

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Meet DL Chris Jones Reply with quote

Quote:
HT: 6'6" WT: 310LBS.
POSITION: DT
SCHOOL: Mississippi St.
ARM LENGTH: 34 1/2"
HANDS: 10 3/4"
Overview
A late-bloomer on a middling high school team, Jones went from unknown prospect to a top 50 prospect nationally during his senior year, leading the squad to their first-ever playoff win. Despite late pressure from other top schools, Jones stayed true to MSU, which is near his home in Houston, Miss. He started three games as a true freshman, receiving honorable mention All-SEC honors from league media after tying for the team lead with seven tackles for loss. Jones had a sophomore slump, however, making just 26 stops, 3.5 for loss, and playing a reserve role the entire season. He rebounded in 2015, starting every game and making 44 tackles, 7.5 for loss, and 2.5 sacks, leading him to take his talents to the NFL as an early entrant.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:68/Sacks:22/FF:4
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Jones but he was a bit raw for round #1 and unlikely to last til late round #2. Hence the trade down.

He has been rising. Prototypical size for a 3-4 DE. He is stout at the point of attack. Pass rush was an issue. I gather some of that is seen as coachable. I'm guessing he turns into another Tyson Jackson without the high first round baggage.

J

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's the next Muhammad Wilkerson. Even when he gets stood up he doesn't get moved back, had no problem with double Teams and splits them with raw aggression.

Got like 5 game tapes on draftbreakdown.com if anybody wants to watch him. He's a beast, just needs to work on technique. Can't coach that body type or athletic ability.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
I think he's the next Muhammad Wilkerson. Even when he gets stood up he doesn't get moved back, had no problem with double Teams and splits them with raw aggression.

Got like 5 game tapes on draftbreakdown.com if anybody wants to watch him. He's a beast, just needs to work on technique. Can't coach that body type or athletic ability.

Wilkerson had noticeably better workout numbers. How much of Wilkerson's game is attributable to being an athletic freak? This is important because Jones is unusual, not freakish. Someone else for comparison is going to be Allen Bailey, also a workout freak.

I am sticking with Tyson Jackson whom we know well. If we get that, he's a hell of a pick.

J

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

Wilkerson had noticeably better workout numbers. How much of Wilkerson's game is attributable to being an athletic freak? This is important because Jones is unusual, not freakish. Someone else for comparison is going to be Allen Bailey, also a workout freak.

I am sticking with Tyson Jackson whom we know well. If we get that, he's a hell of a pick.

J

This guy has more upside than Jackson. Now if we can just give him Tambas motor....

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Chiefer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

J
noticeably? Slight edge goes to Wilk, but head-to-head they're very similar.

I don't know how anybody can watch his film and see Tyson. thats just not a good comp, seems like you're reaching. Tyson is a standard two-gap DE, jones well isn't.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes noticeably. Bailey is much more like Wilkerson than Jones.

valkrei wrote:
This guy has more upside than Jackson. Now if we can just give him Tambas motor....

You forget how good TJ was. We just hoped for much better.

J

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

J

This is false...and neither Wilkerson or Jones are freak athletes. If anything Jones is a better athlete.

You would think getting a Tyson Jackson might be a good pick since he started on a couple pretty good defenses...but i'm gonna say that would be a disappointment. Jones should be more disruptive as well as giving a better pass rush.

Tyson was neither a great athlete, nor was he a hard working intellectual or instinctive type...really closer to 3rd round prospect than even 2nd.

onejayhawk wrote:

J

No...I really don't think anybody did (well we didn't expect it in any way). Tyson ended up being exactly what we all thot he would be.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

J

I don't know how anybody can watch his film and see Tyson. thats just not a good comp, seems like you're reaching. Tyson is a standard two-gap DE, jones well isn't.

Jones can literally pull off just about every DL move there is. Not one position he can't play on the DL. He's a very good athlete, not a stationary object like Tyson. Dude had the #1 or #2 PFF pass rush grade in college football. That doesn't always mean a lot, but Tyson never got any pass rush and anyone who thinks Jones is another Tyson is just mad about the position we took and know nothing about the player.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
valkrei

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
Chiefer wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

J

Jones can literally pull off just about every DL move there is. Not one position he can't play on the DL. He's a very good athlete, not a stationary object like Tyson. Dude had the #1 or #2 PFF pass rush grade in college football. That doesn't always mean a lot, but Tyson never got any pass rush and anyone who thinks Jones is another Tyson is just mad about the position we took and know nothing about the player.

He is also 6'6 310, Dude I hope he can be put in some field goal blocking packages.

onejayhawk

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

J

This is false...and neither Wilkerson or Jones are freak athletes. If anything Jones is a better athlete.

Fine. They are comparable, though Wilkerson has the edge. That's fine. MW is a stud. You expect excellence somewhere.

Vertical 40 Yard Dash 3 Cone Drill Broad Jump 20 Yard Shuttle

MW 6'4" 315 lbs 26 Reps 26.0 inches 4.96 Secs 7.31 secs 106.0 inches 4.59 secs
CJ 6'6" 310 lbs 26 reps 24.5 inches 5.03 Secs 7.44 Secs 106.0 inches 4.62 secs

When you crunch those numbers, taking height and weight into account, MW comes out noticeably better, 9.5 to 9.1 and 4.92 to 1.94. For comparison, Dontari Poe came out with 10.5 and 1.4. That's a big reason why he's the best in the NFL. Both numbers relate to penetration, usually termed explosion and suddenness. Neither Jones nor Wilkerson is particularly explosive, though MW is better. Wilkerson has good suddenness. Jones is average.

Bottom line, Jones is a 2-gap 5-tech. He has excellent functional strength and exhibits a natural knee bend. He's a roadblock but he's not a pass rusher. Ideally, he keeps Justin Houston's jersey clean. With his height, you don't want him in 1-tech or 0-tech.

J

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones ran a 4.88 on his best 40
Wilkerson a 4.96

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Jones ran a 4.88 on his best 40
Wilkerson a 4.96

I just posted the combine numbers. Do you know the 10-yard splits? Those are what is important for the big guys.

I hope he is another Muhammad Wilkerson. It's just a very high bar.

While we are at it, please stop saying he can play anywhere along the line. BS. He cannot play the middle of an odd front. Rather say that he can play either end.

He is also likely to come out in nickel packages. That's OK. He can be Ty Warren to Allen Bailey's Richard Seymour. We already have a Vince Wilfork.

J

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:

valkrei wrote:

J

No forgetting here, I just never thought he was great.

Chiefer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:

valkrei wrote:

J

Really gonna make me pull up the numbers?

Chris Jones Height: 6'6 Weight: 310 LBs
Arm Length: 34.5
40 YARD DASH: 5.03 SEC
10 Yard: 1.7 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 26 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 24.5 INCH(29.5 at his Pro Day)
BROAD JUMP: 106.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.44 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.62 SEC

Muhammad WilkersonHeight: 6'4 Weight: 315
Arm length: 35 1/4
40 Yrd Dash: 4.96 SEC
20 Yrd Dash: 2.94
10 Yrd Dash: 1.73 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
Vertical Jump: 26
Broad Jump: 08'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.59
3-Cone Drill: 7.31
+ 10 pounds, 5.04/5.17/5.36 40 range before Combine

Wilk compares to Howard a little bit too. Bailey has lost some athletic ability gaining weight, honestly I view him as the new Tyson Jackson. These guys are valuable though no doubt.

Tyson is actually a decent athlete, similar in some aspects to the two above. He actually has the best 10-yard split.

I have a feeling Reid the Younger is going to make sure he does well on run defense. Toub probably called dibs for some special teams work. He's not getting an easy road to minutes on this team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: