You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alfonzo Dennard at #10? Let's discuss this.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillsOfBuffalo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Alfonzo Dennard at #10? Let's discuss this. Reply with quote

This is my first post here so I will introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am a software engineer working in Manhattan. However I grew up all the way through high school in Lancaster and I am a huge Bills and Sabres fan. I will die a Buffalo fan no matter where I am.

I am going to make the assumption that we revert to a 4-3 scheme under Wannstedt. Our 2 largest defensive needs are clearly a strong pass rusher at DE and a #1 Cornerback so I will assume we go DE/CB with the first 2 picks to give Wannstedt a solid set of personnel to build a good defense.

1. DE at #10 vs. CB at #10.
A lot of people seem to want Coples at #10 and then a CB like Gilmore in round 2, which is most certainly not a bad idea, but the problem is, Coples isn't the best pass rusher in this class, arguably not even top 5. The consensus best 4-3 DE pass rushers in this case include the likes of Nick Perry, Melvin Ingram, Vinny Curry, Andre Branch, etc. I would imagine at least one of these names is available at our 2nd round pick. I believe Dennard + Curry/Branch would be much better than Coples + Gilmore at making the opposing Quarterback's job difficult.
Also consider that there is a very good chance Coples doesn't fall to #10 anyway. The next best DE at that point becomes more of a reach than Dennard who I don't think is a reach at all at #10. This draft might not be strong on pass rushers, but there will be many very solid pass rushers available at our 2nd round pick, therefore I believe we should take the potential elite CB at #10.

2. Alfonzo Dennard vs. Dre Kirkpatrick
I believe Dennard is a smarter, better CB than Kirkpatrick who many believe will end up sliding over to Safety. Safety might be one of our least positions of need. Also, according to many recent mocks, there is a very good chance that Kirkpatrick will not even fall to #10 anyway, making Dennard the easy CB choice. However if Claiborne magically falls to us, he is the obvious choice.

Based on this, I believe Dennard at #10 and the best available pass rushing 4-3 DE in the 2nd might be the best way to improve our defense through the draft.
BeastM0de23RB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Eric!

Very well written post, and I have to agree with your assessments for the most part. My only issue is the lack of WR discussion here. I think a WR in the first is a very good possibility, and I wouldn't rule out OT either.

If the Bills were to go WR in round 1, who would you have them taking, assuming that Blackmon is long gone?

Also, if you don't go WR round 1, who is a WR you would like to see in a Bills uniform next year?

“Experiences are the chemicals of life with which the philosopher experiments” - M.P.H.
NIKEJWN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastM0de23RB wrote:

Very well written post, and I have to agree with your assessments for the most part. My only issue is the lack of WR discussion here. I think a WR in the first is a very good possibility, and I wouldn't rule out OT either.

If the Bills were to go WR in round 1, who would you have them taking, assuming that Blackmon is long gone?

Also, if you don't go WR round 1, who is a WR you would like to see in a Bills uniform next year?

I think if we sign Stevie we can wait a bit for WR. This class is loaded with guys and I dont necessarily think we need to draft a # 1 WR we need a # 2. Im not totally sold on Couples either, but from my understanding he is the top 4-3 DE. Perry, Curry, and Ingram are solid as well. My ideal situation would be to trade back for someone who might want to get Reiff or Martin if they slip to 10. Pick up an extra draft pick and still get one of those guys in the mid teens. As for Denard, personally I dont see much of a differeance between him and Gilmore and they importance on a pass rush to this team is to great at this point to not get one unless we make a move in free agency or through trade. CB along with WR might be one of the deepest positions in the draft. Guys like Gilmore, Jenkins, Minnifield, Hosley all would be very nice selections in rd 2.

Max's 2010 Annual Draft Contest Winner

Adopt a Bill 2011- SS George Wilson
CB Drayton Florence
BillsOfBuffalo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Jeffrey in round 1 over Floyd, but I consider them essentially equal. If we go defense round 1 and 2 as my post suggests, I would rank WR in round 3 as follows.

1. Ryan Broyles. He has great hands, quickness, and is an excellent route runner. Could be our version of Wes Welker.

2a. Jordan White. He is probably THE sleeper deep threat. The only concern I have is Fitz cannot throw the deep ball well, but he can still open the field up.

2b. T.Y. Hilton. One of the quickest receivers in the draft. Will create a lot of mismatches especially if Stevie is matched up with opponent's top CB and/or double coverage.

3. Ryan Swope. Very quick and is good at adding a lot of yards after the catch.

I think any of these guys can come in and start as the #2 WR.

If we go WR in round 2, then the obvious targes are Kendall Wright (who will probably go round 1) and Mohamed Sanu.
BillsOfBuffalo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKEJWN wrote:
BeastM0de23RB wrote:

I think if we sign Stevie we can wait a bit for WR. This class is loaded with guys and I dont necessarily think we need to draft a # 1 WR we need a # 2. Im not totally sold on Couples either, but from my understanding he is the top 4-3 DE. Perry, Curry, and Ingram are solid as well. My ideal situation would be to trade back for someone who might want to get Reiff or Martin if they slip to 10. Pick up an extra draft pick and still get one of those guys in the mid teens. As for Denard, personally I dont see much of a differeance between him and Gilmore and they importance on a pass rush to this team is to great at this point to not get one unless we make a move in free agency or through trade. CB along with WR might be one of the deepest positions in the draft. Guys like Gilmore, Jenkins, Minnifield, Hosley all would be very nice selections in rd 2.

I agree with this. This draft seems to be incredibly deep with #2 wide receivers. Can definitely pick up a solid #2 in round 3. As for Dennard vs. Gilmore, I believe Dennard is strictly better. Dennard is very intelligent and can play all coverages well. He is especially good in man coverage which is what we need playing the likes of Tom Brady twice a year. Also with Miami looking for a franchise QB, we could be playing an elite QB a minimum of 4 times per season in the near future.
BeastM0de23RB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, I don't really think the number (1 or 2) really matters, but in this case, it can be argued that Steve isn't a true 1. Regardless of the numbers associated, it's definitely apparent how much we are lacking at WR. We have Steve and David Nelson, and that's about it. The others, if they can stay healthy, more power to them. But we HAVE to add a premier WR talent this offseason, even if we retain Steve. We have too much inexperience at the position, and when Donald went down, it was apparent just how much we were lacking. We seriously can't consider going into the season with the same WR corp we currently have. That would be ridiculous. IMO, we have to address WR in the first 3 rounds. We need another option for Fitz, and a guy that will take more pressure off Steve.

“Experiences are the chemicals of life with which the philosopher experiments” - M.P.H.
NIKEJWN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastM0de23RB wrote:
Typically, I don't really think the number (1 or 2) really matters, but in this case, it can be argued that Steve isn't a true 1. Regardless of the numbers associated, it's definitely apparent how much we are lacking at WR. We have Steve and David Nelson, and that's about it. The others, if they can stay healthy, more power to them. But we HAVE to add a premier WR talent this offseason, even if we retain Steve. We have too much inexperience at the position, and when Donald went down, it was apparent just how much we were lacking. We seriously can't consider going into the season with the same WR corp we currently have. That would be ridiculous. IMO, we have to address WR in the first 3 rounds. We need another option for Fitz, and a guy that will take more pressure off Steve.

I agree we need to add to the WR position, and really we were a number 2 from being a very good core. Whether that is adding a vetran through free agency or drafting a guy. I really think Stevie will be the # 1 guy. I know he has his drops and his lapses from time to time, but considering he is playing with a bunch of no names beside him, and played injured for much of the season his numbers we not all that shabby. He also had some very good nights against some good corners this year. I would be very comfortable adding a vet WR someone like Meachem who would be a nice # 2 to go with Nelson as the slot.

CB Drayton Florence
NIKEJWN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsOfBuffalo wrote:
NIKEJWN wrote:
BeastM0de23RB wrote:

I agree with this. This draft seems to be incredibly deep with #2 wide receivers. Can definitely pick up a solid #2 in round 3. As for Dennard vs. Gilmore, I believe Dennard is strictly better. Dennard is very intelligent and can play all coverages well. He is especially good in man coverage which is what we need playing the likes of Tom Brady twice a year. Also with Miami looking for a franchise QB, we could be playing an elite QB a minimum of 4 times per season in the near future.

Denard is a very skilled CB and yes in my opinion he is the # 3 CB in this draft class, but I was more getting at Gilmore is not far behind him. I think he is over shawdowed a bit in the SEC by these other guys, but he is a very strong physical CB as well and would not be any consolation prize in rd 2. I am really starting to think trade back and pick up an extra third is the best option, then move one of our thirds and our extra 4th to get back into rd 2 would be ideal.

CB Drayton Florence
BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice write up.

I agree that our pass rush pick could be addressed in the 2nd round, and possibly even by a better DE than we would take at #10.

Personally my favorite DE in this draft is Frank Alexander from Oklahoma. No one really talks about him, and he should be available in the 2nd, possibly even the 3rd round. I really think he could turn out to be the best pass rusher in this class, when all is said and done.

Dennard will shoot up draft boards (more than he has already), and he may be the 2nd CB taken. He really showed his skill in the Bowl game against South Carolina when he basically shut down Alshon Jeffrey. Yes, Jeffrey had 148 yards, but over 50 of that was on a hail mary to end the 1st half, and another 78 was on a catch and run. Other than those 2 plays (one of which Dennard was not even involved in) Jeffrey had 2 catches for 18 yards. Unfortunately, he also showed off his lack of composure, getting himself tossed for throwing a punch at Jeffrey.

Another guy that improved his stock was Stephon Gilmore. Blocked extra point returned for a score, a nice INT near the end of the half to help set up the hail mary to Jeffrey, as well as other nice plays. He is the guy I really want, but I think he may have moved himself up to above our 2nd round pick.

I think, ideally, I'd like to trade out of our #10 spot, pick up extra picks, and get a guy like Floyd, Gilmore, Kuechly, or Dennard in the 1st, and get our pass rusher (Curry/Jenkins/Alexander) in the 2nd.

I also agree with BM23RB about our dire need of another WR. If we are to help this team as a whole, we need to add another real weapon in the passing game. Floyd is my favorite WR not named Blackmon, and I think he's a good fit for our offense. I understand that this draft will be deep in WR talent, but not in elite talent. There are really 3 guys that would help us immediately, and I think we need to get one of them.

bucsfan333 wrote:
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
"Thanks BBF, but I need someone bigger and more scary to be my backup." - Nobody ever
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Very nice write up.

I agree that our pass rush pick could be addressed in the 2nd round, and possibly even by a better DE than we would take at #10.

Personally my favorite DE in this draft is Frank Alexander from Oklahoma. No one really talks about him, and he should be available in the 2nd, possibly even the 3rd round. I really think he could turn out to be the best pass rusher in this class, when all is said and done.

Dennard will shoot up draft boards (more than he has already), and he may be the 2nd CB taken. He really showed his skill in the Bowl game against South Carolina when he basically shut down Alshon Jeffrey. Yes, Jeffrey had 148 yards, but over 50 of that was on a hail mary to end the 1st half, and another 78 was on a catch and run. Other than those 2 plays (one of which Dennard was not even involved in) Jeffrey had 2 catches for 18 yards. Unfortunately, he also showed off his lack of composure, getting himself tossed for throwing a punch at Jeffrey.

Another guy that improved his stock was Stephon Gilmore. Blocked extra point returned for a score, a nice INT near the end of the half to help set up the hail mary to Jeffrey, as well as other nice plays. He is the guy I really want, but I think he may have moved himself up to above our 2nd round pick.

I think, ideally, I'd like to trade out of our #10 spot, pick up extra picks, and get a guy like Floyd, Gilmore, Kuechly, or Dennard in the 1st, and get our pass rusher (Curry/Jenkins/Alexander) in the 2nd.

I also agree with BM23RB about our dire need of another WR. If we are to help this team as a whole, we need to add another real weapon in the passing game. Floyd is my favorite WR not named Blackmon, and I think he's a good fit for our offense. I understand that this draft will be deep in WR talent, but not in elite talent. There are really 3 guys that would help us immediately, and I think we need to get one of them.

Gotta admit Dennard surprised me with his play, but disappointed with his lack of maturity. I usually don't want to have anything to do with these types. Still pretty much not interested...Finnegan is the same type of hothead and has already proven he can compete against NFL caliber talent.

Also, I just can't get on board to the extent most have with Curry. I put him in my initial mock draft as my 1st preferred option in the 3rd round only because at that point I would risk taking him. My problem with the guy is that he weighs 240# stinkin' wet! That's just too light for me to want as a full time DE unless I can get him cheap. Even then, he needs to gain almost 20# IMO to keep from being successfully run at over and over and over...

I agree with wanting to trade out of the 10th pick & I really like the idea of going after ILB's Kuechly or Hightower. I love Barnett, but he's long in the tooth and there is no way I believe he can play 16 games next year. Older bodies just get injured much easier, besides I think he is a better option outside than Morrison. Anyway, we need bodies desperately and given the depth at WR, we could easily land a quality player with an extra 2nd rounder.

Adopt a Bill:
I'd like to adopt myself as GM!
BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Very nice write up.

Gotta admit Dennard surprised me with his play, but disappointed with his lack of maturity. I usually don't want to have anything to do with these types. Still pretty much not interested...Finnegan is the same type of hothead and has already proven he can compete against NFL caliber talent.

Yeah Dennard will probably be a very good CB in the league, but I wonder if his issues would be more than we would want to deal with. To be fair to him though, I haven't heard of any other problems with him, aside from the fight with Jeffrey in the Bowl game, and I haven't done enough research on him, outside of football, to know what kind of personality he has.

Quote:
Also, I just can't get on board to the extent most have with Curry. I put him in my initial mock draft as my 1st preferred option in the 3rd round only because at that point I would risk taking him. My problem with the guy is that he weighs 240# stinkin' wet! That's just too light for me to want as a full time DE unless I can get him cheap. Even then, he needs to gain almost 20# IMO to keep from being successfully run at over and over and over...

I usually don't like 4-3 DE's under 250-255 lbs either, but I can't help thinking about the success Schobel had in Buffalo, at around 240 lbs.

I don't have Curry as my best "2nd tier" DE prospect either, just usually list him first (Don't know why LOL). My favorite DE coming out this year is Frank Alexander. I think he plays the position as well as anyone in this class, and I love the fact that he can not only rush the passer, but is also good against the run. No one is really talking about him at this point, and he could, at least as of right now, be available in the 3rd round.

Quote:
I agree with wanting to trade out of the 10th pick & I really like the idea of going after ILB's Kuechly or Hightower. I love Barnett, but he's long in the tooth and there is no way I believe he can play 16 games next year. Older bodies just get injured much easier, besides I think he is a better option outside than Morrison. Anyway, we need bodies desperately and given the depth at WR, we could easily land a quality player with an extra 2nd rounder.

Yeah I think trading down would be our best option. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen.

I think if we are going to add a WR, it should be in the first round (Unless a guy like Claiborne falls to us). I really think that any one of the "Big 3" would offer more to this franchise than any of the other WR prospects, and I think that we could improve our team as a whole more if we take a WR in the 1st, rather than taking one in the 2nd or 3rd, where we could be getting our pass rusher and our CB or OT.

Think about something like this:
1. WR-Floyd/Jeffrey
2. CB-Gilmore/Hosley, DE-Curry/Jenkins/Branch/Ingram
3. DE-Alexander/Cam Johnson, CB-Hayward/Prater

OR

1. CB-Kirkpatrick/Dennard, DE-Coples/Perry/Mercilus
2. WR-Jones/Wright (Baylor)/McNutt/Toon, Above mentioned CB's and DE's
3. Above mentioned DE's and CB's, WR-Streeter/Hilton/Broyles

Honestly, the more I think about it, I really like the thought of Floyd in the 1st, and a combo of DE/CB in the 2nd-3rd. I think it would be more beneficial than a DE or CB in the 1st (aside from Claiborne) and a WR later.

1. Floyd
2. Jenkins/Branch/Curry
3. Hayward

OR

1. Floyd
2. Gilmore
3. Alexander

bucsfan333 wrote:
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
"Thanks BBF, but I need someone bigger and more scary to be my backup." - Nobody ever
NIKEJWN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Very nice write up.

Yeah Dennard will probably be a very good CB in the league, but I wonder if his issues would be more than we would want to deal with. To be fair to him though, I haven't heard of any other problems with him, aside from the fight with Jeffrey in the Bowl game, and I haven't done enough research on him, outside of football, to know what kind of personality he has.

Quote:

I usually don't like 4-3 DE's under 250-255 lbs either, but I can't help thinking about the success Schobel had in Buffalo, at around 240 lbs.

I don't have Curry as my best "2nd tier" DE prospect either, just usually list him first (Don't know why LOL). My favorite DE coming out this year is Frank Alexander. I think he plays the position as well as anyone in this class, and I love the fact that he can not only rush the passer, but is also good against the run. No one is really talking about him at this point, and he could, at least as of right now, be available in the 3rd round.

Quote:

Yeah I think trading down would be our best option. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen.

I think if we are going to add a WR, it should be in the first round (Unless a guy like Claiborne falls to us). I really think that any one of the "Big 3" would offer more to this franchise than any of the other WR prospects, and I think that we could improve our team as a whole more if we take a WR in the 1st, rather than taking one in the 2nd or 3rd, where we could be getting our pass rusher and our CB or OT.

Think about something like this:
1. WR-Floyd/Jeffrey
2. CB-Gilmore/Hosley, DE-Curry/Jenkins/Branch/Ingram
3. DE-Alexander/Cam Johnson, CB-Hayward/Prater

OR

1. CB-Kirkpatrick/Dennard, DE-Coples/Perry/Mercilus
2. WR-Jones/Wright (Baylor)/McNutt/Toon, Above mentioned CB's and DE's
3. Above mentioned DE's and CB's, WR-Streeter/Hilton/Broyles

Honestly, the more I think about it, I really like the thought of Floyd in the 1st, and a combo of DE/CB in the 2nd-3rd. I think it would be more beneficial than a DE or CB in the 1st (aside from Claiborne) and a WR later.

1. Floyd
2. Jenkins/Branch/Curry
3. Hayward

OR

1. Floyd
2. Gilmore
3. Alexander

I think that is the direction we have to go in no particular order. I do think we have to address one of the major holes in free agency being WR or DE. Personally I would rather it be DE, just because like mentioned there is better talent at the WR and CB positions than the pass rush positions. I am really leaning towards the tarde back situation big time. I just have a feeling we might be sitting at 10 and have a major problem on our hands on what to do. WIth Nix going BPA at 10 that would most likely be Jeffrey or Floyd unless one of the DE makes a major push in the work outs. CB isnt as pressing of a need, with Williams, Rogers, McKelvin, Florence all under contract still but I think the talent is to good to pass up.

If we sign a DE in the off season lets say Cliff Avril just for name sake or someone of his talent level. Then go in the draft.

1. Floyd
2. Gilmore
3. Alexander

I would be more than happy.

CB Drayton Florence
billzz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the short answer to this question is no.

btw.. gilmore is my favorite CB in the draft. he is more polished the johnathan joseph coming out of south carolina.

he is a big time talent.

Rodgers, Williams, and Gilmore would make me really happy.
- Diaz III at 155 for lightweight belt.

Claim a MLB player- Aaron Judge NYY Noah Syndergaard NYM
BillsOfBuffalo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my big board for #10 right now would look something like this:

1. Claiborne
2. Blackmon
3. Coples
4. Jeffry
5. Floyd
6. Dennard
7. Mercilus/Perry/Upshaw (whichever projects best as a 4-3 RE)

But I think the best case scenario would be to trade down to the the 17-25 range and pick up starting CB, DE, and WR in the first 2 rounds.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: