Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Things Other Than the Redskins Thread 4.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strasburg could get injured on any pitch in his career, any pitch.

If it were me and I knew I was going to have him in an inning count, I wouldn't have started him till may.

IMO, this org played this wrong from the beginning and now they have a star who is greatly upset with the way he's being handled and that's never a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MikeT14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this org didn't expect to be in the playoffs either. gambled and lost on that.

- mike23md on the sig!
footy_29

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Strasburg could get injured on any pitch in his career, any pitch.

If it were me and I knew I was going to have him in an inning count, I wouldn't have started him till may.

IMO, this org played this wrong from the beginning and now they have a star who is greatly upset with the way he's being handled and that's never a good thing.

Young arms need rest. You start him early so he has the rest needed before he picks it up again. ALL major league teams do this. ALL OF THEM. If Strasburg cannot understand the necessity and respect the organization for looking out for him long-term, he's an idiot or a complete [inappropriate/removed].

Blknite01's masterpiece
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I still can't believe their shutting Strasburg down, worst decision in dc sports history. (yes, even worse than Cerrato and Haynesworth) IMO he is as good as gone when he's up to be a FA if we make a deep postseason run. An agent should never be telling ateam/GM how to run their team.

Ive never been a fan of Boris, and I'm certainly not now.

I don't think Boras made the call. I'll take Rizzo at his word that he evaluated all of the medical evidence and made the right call. Yes, Strasburg is upset. He wants to play. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't upset.

However, the Nationals have to do what is best for their franchise both this year and in the years to come. Right now, they've still got a very good rotation behind Gonzalez, Zimmerman, Detwiler, and Jackson, and Lannan is a solid guy as well. The bats are coming around, so while it would be great to have Strasburg, they don't need Strasburg. Would he be great to have? Abso-frickin-lutely. Will they fail in the postseason without him? Possibly, but I'm not sure it's as clear cut as some have made it out to be. Is it worth the risk of ruining a guy who could be a long term ace for us? I say no with every fiber of my body.

As for all of the 20/20 hindsight options:
- Don't start him early in the season: Remember, the Nationals were supposed be competing for the 2nd wild card this year. They were competitive with the Braves and the Mets throughout April and May for first place, but they didn't really grab the top spot until late May. I would argue that given that this team needed Strasburg in April and May more than September because A) the offense wasn't near healthy or producing early in the season and B) the team didn't believe it could win the pennant until June when they started to put some space between themselves and the rest of the division.
- Stretch his starts out (either start every sixth day or skip a start): It wouldn't matter since he'd still have to throw on his off days. Giving him his starts and regular playing time allowed Strasburg to get a sense of rhythm for playing in the pros. It taught him what he needed to do on his on and off days, how to deal with the travel, and all of the other aspects of being a professional baseball player. Since he's been so dominant, we forget that he's a 24 year old kid.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is a big music fan, in part because she spent a lot of time overseas as a kid.

I just introduced her to "It's Tricky." I'm still a bit surprised by that.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I still can't believe their shutting Strasburg down, worst decision in dc sports history. (yes, even worse than Cerrato and Haynesworth) IMO he is as good as gone when he's up to be a FA if we make a deep postseason run. An agent should never be telling ateam/GM how to run their team.

Ive never been a fan of Boris, and I'm certainly not now.

I don't think Boras made the call. I'll take Rizzo at his word that he evaluated all of the medical evidence and made the right call. Yes, Strasburg is upset. He wants to play. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't upset.

However, the Nationals have to do what is best for their franchise both this year and in the years to come. Right now, they've still got a very good rotation behind Gonzalez, Zimmerman, Detwiler, and Jackson, and Lannan is a solid guy as well. The bats are coming around, so while it would be great to have Strasburg, they don't need Strasburg. Would he be great to have? Abso-frickin-lutely. Will they fail in the postseason without him? Possibly, but I'm not sure it's as clear cut as some have made it out to be. Is it worth the risk of ruining a guy who could be a long term ace for us? I say no with every fiber of my body.

As for all of the 20/20 hindsight options:
- Don't start him early in the season: Remember, the Nationals were supposed be competing for the 2nd wild card this year. They were competitive with the Braves and the Mets throughout April and May for first place, but they didn't really grab the top spot until late May. I would argue that given that this team needed Strasburg in April and May more than September because A) the offense wasn't near healthy or producing early in the season and B) the team didn't believe it could win the pennant until June when they started to put some space between themselves and the rest of the division.
- Stretch his starts out (either start every sixth day or skip a start): It wouldn't matter since he'd still have to throw on his off days. Giving him his starts and regular playing time allowed Strasburg to get a sense of rhythm for playing in the pros. It taught him what he needed to do on his on and off days, how to deal with the travel, and all of the other aspects of being a professional baseball player. Since he's been so dominant, we forget that he's a 24 year old kid.

This... you do not hurt your star pitcher just to win a few extra games that may not be needed to get into the playoff series.

Also - remember that these guys have AGENTS. If an agent sees that the Nats are just going to pitch the arm off of one of their guys (and lead to his career being shortened, and therefore affecting the money the agent can make long term off the player), they will do what they can to push their players away from going to the Nats and push them towards signing elsewhere.

Its not just about Strasburg and this season, folks.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMU plays WVU this coming Saturday at Fed Ex.

Would love to see us win but I really don't think its gonna happen. All I want is for us to play close and to get a bit more exposure for our hopeful FBS transition sometime in the next 10 years.

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:

Would love to see us win but I really don't think its gonna happen. All I want is for us to play close and to get a bit more exposure for our hopeful FBS transition sometime in the next 10 years.
My prediction: eers- 80 dukes- 13
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

God I hope not. I just want to be within 20 points.

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

We put up 70 vs Clemson and 69 vs Marshall. Be prepared bro
MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantasy question. Should I start P Garçon or B Lafell this week? I'm a little worried about Garçons injury status. Lafell scored a td week 1 and I have Cam Newton as my QB.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Fantasy question. Should I start P Garçon or B Lafell this week? I'm a little worried about Garçons injury status. Lafell scored a td week 1 and I have Cam Newton as my QB.
I'd start LaFell. If Garçon plays I don't expect him to finish the game when we build our big lead. Wink Cool
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

We put up 70 vs Clemson and 69 vs Marshall. Be prepared bro

Well, I was hoping we'd keep it within 20, but I guess within 30 is ok too.

MikeT14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- mike23md on the sig!
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:

Laughing

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 61 of 100

Jump to: