Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB options
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: QB options Reply with quote

Created this so that the Tebow thread can remain just that instead of discussion about potential successors.

Anyway I'm going to throw all the names I can think of out there, so I'm not necessarily endorsing said prospect.

Free agents
Matt Flynn
Jason Campbell
Brian Hoyer(RFA)
Brady Quinn(I want to resign him at very least as a backup)

Trade possibilities
Matt Moore(Franchise QB potential IMO. If Miami trade a ransom for RG3 we could absolutely steal Moore.
Peyton Manning(depending on the demand. A lot of talk that Indy must cut him he's untradeable)
Ryan Mallet(I severely doubt it given we passed on him 4 times)
Jimmy Clausen(He was an original draft choice of John Fox. Actually I forgot the Fox/Moore connection too)

Draft
Luck/RG3(99.9% chance not happening)
Landry Jones
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Kirk Cousins
Ryan Lindley
Nick Foles

Thoughts?

By the way, I think in terms of what's likely, I think there are 4 franchise QB types that could start over Tebow right now: Luck, RG3, Flynn and Moore. Now free agency comes first so logically we ought to reach out to Matt Flynn. I think Flynn will be highly coveted by everyone except Indianapolis because only the Colts control their own destiny in the Luck/Griffin sweepstake. Teams like Washington can't be sure they'll be able to trade up for RG3.

I expect Flynn to receive offers from the Broncos, Redskins, Browns and Seahawks. Washington has the most money to offer and he fits Shanny's offense perfectly, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Flynn in DC. I do think they'd prefer Griffin, but the pressure is too great to wait until draft day incase you miss out.

In terms of Matt Moore, the Dolphins aren't going to trade him unless they find another QB. I think Peyton Manning to the Jets is looking likelier than the Phins because Peyton will control his own destiny and surely prefer the contender.

That leaves RG3 and the possibility of trading for Matt Moore. Given that I've got Luck as a Colt, Flynn as a Skin and Manning at the Meadowlands, that leaves the Dolphins, Seahawks, Browns and Broncos fighting for RG3.

Miami is the logical choice as they genuinely do seem to covet a guy that'll sell tickets and make Miami a talked about franchise. He doesn't really fit in Cleveland, and neither Denver nor Seattle will have the ammunition to match the Dolphins offer.

So that leaves Matt Moore as the last remaining probable franchise QB, or you can trade for Mark Sanchez if the Jets quit on him.

The other options are, bring in someone to keep the seat warmer that is better than Tebow until we land a franchise QB. And by someone, I mean Jason Campbell.

Or draft a rookie in the mid rounds to compete with Tebow... My favourites being Weeden and Lindley, although I was FAR more impressed with Tannehill's game film than I expected.

Thoughts, gentlemen?[/img]
B Dubbs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dare you suggest trading for mark sanchez! Haha. Thats all we need!

You're right about Matt Moore. I could definitely see Fox wanting to bring him in and i wouldn't be against it.

As far as the draft goes, at this point, we might be out of reach to be able to go up and get Luck or RG3. It would cost a lott to trade up that far. For guys that will be there when we are up, i would stay away from Weeden in the earlier rounds since he is so old. I would much rather get a guy that has more years to dedicate to the team.

Moral of the story: Say "no" to Mark Sanchez!!

Props to matthouston91 on the sig and jonnyj20 on the avatar.
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoyer will probably be traded by NE for a 2nd.

Clausen is down right awful. Just because a guy was liked as a college prospect doesn't mean he will like him after failing w/ him.

Mallett won't be dealt yet. He can definitely be developed further and be traded for more. I dont think we'd invest a 3rd and not try to max out his value. Though Belichick likes having a good backup so essentially kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone. He has raw talent but needs more work. Hoyer is clear superior and imo 3rd best QB in AFCE after Brady and Fitzpatrick. But I loved him in college. Graded him as a 3rd round guy.

QBs I'd look at:
Brantley UF
Harris Mia
Lindley SDSU
Davis ECU
Moore Boise

Late round guys worth looking at imo. Though I wouldnt trade much for stop gap QB.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
broncospride95

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Flynn, Manning of course, or Tannehill in orange and blue next year.

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
whenmidgetsatak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:

Sweet baby jesus you can't be serious...

^This guy is our forum mod
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should look into Case Keenum as a late round prospect. He's got good mobility, a really fast release, and is really accurate. He takes mostly shotgun snaps, but he can take it from under center. He's a good prospect that may need more time to develop, but he's worth a look.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenmidgetsatak wrote:
Donut wrote:

Quote:
NFL Network's Michael Lombardi believes Patriots backup Brian Hoyer makes a better trade target for quarterback-needy teams than Eagles backup Kevin Kolb.
That's not to say Lombardi believes Hoyer is a better QB, just that the Eagles believe they can get "a great price" for Kolb. "If teams evaluate New England's Week 17 game against Miami," said Lombardi, "they'd see that Hoyer demonstrates the skills needed to be a starter." In 42 career attempts, Hoyer has posted a 61.9 completion rate, 6.3 yards per attempt, and 77.9 passer rating. His passer rating in preseason games is just north of 95.0.

Lombardi really liked him. Again I loved Hoyer coming out. He hasn't let me down and he's looked really good in development. IMO he is better than Cassel was in NE. I think he could get a 2nd, even if its a future 2nd. Though Kolb brought in a lot... 2nd is pretty reasonable in comparison(Though Flynn on market could hurt or help his value and he won't have a big tag and BB can just chill w/ him as a backup for another yr if the market isnt there.). Honestly I have more confidence in Hoyer than mallett to be a reliable starter in the league. though mallett has a lot of potential, I think much more of Hoyer. Though Hoyer looked better as a rookie than mallett.
Joe_is_the_best wrote:
I think we should look into Case Keenum as a late round prospect. He's got good mobility, a really fast release, and is really accurate. He takes mostly shotgun snaps, but he can take it from under center. He's a good prospect that may need more time to develop, but he's worth a look.
Another good late round guy to take a shot on. Though I think he could really raise stock by showing his athleticism in combine.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncospride95 wrote:
I'd like to see Flynn, Manning of course, or Tannehill in orange and blue next year.

This. Any of these 3 I'd be very pleased with.

whenmidgetsatak wrote:
Donut wrote:

Hoyer is considered one of the better backups in the league, and people see him as a potential starter. Not sure his values up to a 2nd rounder yet, but the Pats will get something for him this offseason.

B Dubbs wrote:
You're right about Matt Moore. I could definitely see Fox wanting to bring him in and i wouldn't be against it.

I would bet just about anything that Fox doesn't want Matt Moore. He had Moore in Carolina, and he had the opportunity this offseason to bring him in for free to compete for the job, or at least for a backup job. Matt Moore did the same thing a few years back with Carolina under Fox. 2009 he performed admirably when he had to start for about half a season (98.5 rating, 8 touchdowns/2 interceptions, 61.6 comp %), came in the next year as the starter for Fox and stunk up the joint, bad (55 rating, 5 touchdowns/10 interceptions, 55 comp %).

Even this year Matt Moore wasn't that good. His team just started playing good down the stretch, and yes, that team does have some GOOD players, and definitely has guys at receiver who can make plays. Moore didn't even average 200 yards per game in the air this year, and his TD/INT ratio (16/9) was nothing to write home about. Where you think he can be a franchise QB is the same clouded judgment that makes people think Tebow can be a franchise QB. The team around him started playing up tot heir ability and went on a hot streak, he just happened to be under center while it all went down... this guy is by no means a franchise quarterback.

Paul-Mac wrote:
Jimmy Clausen(He was an original draft choice of John Fox.

The owner in Carolina has final say on their draft choices, (especially when it comes to the big names). The Clausen pick looks more like a pick of his than the Fox.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are trying to replace Tebow with a drafted player the guys we need to be looking at are guys like:

Matt Barkley
Landry Jones
Aaron Murray
Tyler Bray

(see what I did there....we won't draft a replacement QB this season)

Jamison. mad props on this amazing Sig!!!
Reggie Nelson#1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:

Clausen is down right awful. Just because a guy was liked as a college prospect doesn't mean he will like him after failing w/ him.

Mallett won't be dealt yet. He can definitely be developed further and be traded for more. I dont think we'd invest a 3rd and not try to max out his value. Though Belichick likes having a good backup so essentially kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone. He has raw talent but needs more work. Hoyer is clear superior and imo 3rd best QB in AFCE after Brady and Fitzpatrick. But I loved him in college. Graded him as a 3rd round guy.

QBs I'd look at:
Brantley UF
Harris Mia
Lindley SDSU
Davis ECU
Moore Boise

Late round guys worth looking at imo. Though I wouldnt trade much for stop gap QB.

We both have the same list but I'd add Weeden to it.
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm, AnAngryAmerican wrote wrote:
This team won't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Clayton looks at the Bronco QB options:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7423168/denver-broncos-qb-options-tim-tebow
RazorStar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want someone to actually compete with Tebow and force him to be a better QB. I think Matt Flynn is that guy and I wouldn't mind pulling for him in FA.

Chad Henne would be good too. I would not mind him on our bench at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RazorStar wrote:

As a Miami native I have the pleasure of watching good old Chad Henne week in and out. Let me tell you...he is REALLY bad. He and Tebow on the same team would make for the least accurate tandem in the NFL.

Dolphins fans all hate Henne. He stinks.

Jamison. mad props on this amazing Sig!!!
DiehardBronxFan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RazorStar wrote:
I want someone to actually compete with Tebow and force him to be a better QB. I think Matt Flynn is that guy and I wouldn't mind pulling for him in FA.

Has this franchise really fallen so far that we would be considering Chad Henne as our solution at Quarterback? No thank you. No to Chad, No to Matt Moore, No to all the rest of the Mediocre quarterbacks that will never do anything more than lead a Mediocre team to Mediocre results.

Go get somebody who has the potential to be a star (Flynn, Tannehill, Weeden), or don't get anybody at all (i.e. wait until next year). If you're looking for someone to "Help" Tebow next year and be a contingency, than get an older guy who doesn't have dreams of being "The Guy", who can help teach and advise Tebow, and who can come in and manage the game at necessary.

The WORST thing this team can do is to make a big change at Quarterback, for somebody that isn't the long term answer.

Right now, if I'm the Broncos, and I feel like I have to give Tebow at least a shot next year, but am far from convinced that he is the answer, and I'm not able to move up into the top 5 to get Luck or RGIII, this is what I do. Sign a veteran free agent to come in and help Tebow grow. Trade out of my first round pick this year for a #1 next year and a second/third whatever this year. Then I have 2 number 1's next year, and If I find out (or, more accurately, prove to the fans) Tebow isn't the answer and need to go in a different direction, I've got all the firepower I need to move up and get a true star (Barley, Jones, Bray, etc.).
germ-x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Denver sings Matt Flynn it won't be to compete for a job or push Tebow. Flynn would be handed the starting job for what the franchise would hope is at least the next 4-6 years, depending on his contract.

Tim Tebow would either continue to be developed and used as a role player on offense, his position completely changed, or IMO more than likely traded.

If Denver drafts a QB in the 1st round Tebow's days in Denver would be numbered. They may keep Tebow around for 2012 in case the draft pick isn't ready, but Tebow wouldn't be part of the long term plans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: