Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jake Long visited Giants today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Jake Long visited Giants today Reply with quote

Thoughts
Elitist10

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont see how it could hurt to at least bring him in for traning camp/preseason, if healthy he's probably an upgrade to what we have until Beatty is back, if not then we're right back to where we are now.

Minimal risk with the potential for a solid pay off, I'd make these type of moved all day.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some help in settling a dispute on this.

If Long checks out ok and is healthy for the regular season. I proposed a contract of 2 years, $10m overall (4 this year, 6 next) with $3m signing bonus/guarantees. I feel this is reasonable for a player of his calibur (in 2013 he ranked 7th in PFF among all OTs, last year finished 36th in 8 games) and his current shape (coming off an ACL). He proposed league minimum with no guarantees.

Am I crazy high with this offer?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy was once so good. Even in college he had 1 multi sack game against him and it propelled a scrub into a top5 pick (vernon gholston)
Acgott

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:

If Long checks out ok and is healthy for the regular season. I proposed a contract of 2 years, $10m overall (4 this year, 6 next) with $3m signing bonus/guarantees. I feel this is reasonable for a player of his calibur (in 2013 he ranked 7th in PFF among all OTs, last year finished 36th in 8 games) and his current shape (coming off an ACL). He proposed league minimum with no guarantees.

You are absolutely way too high. He is worth nothing more then the veteran minimum. If he was anywhere close to his old self he would be on a team even with him recovering from his ACL.
Crickett

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:

You are absolutely way too high. He is worth nothing more then the veteran minimum. If he was anywhere close to his old self he would be on a team even with him recovering from his ACL.

Signed a one-year, $1.095 million contract. The deal included a $350,000 signing bonus. Another $1 million is available through incentives.

This is what Joe Barksdale got. I think this would be fair for Jake Long too.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Long is worth more than the minimum if you're confident in his recovery and readiness. And if we have the space this year, there's no reason to not spend it on a 1 year deal, the slate will be completely clean next year and its not like you get a reward for each million you're under the cap.

Even if we could get 2 guys to beat him out, we really could use more camp competition and depth (because we all know we're going to have another injury up front at some point).
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injury prone player meets medical staff. This might not end up well.

Seriously though, he cant be any worse than Newhouse there and it gives Flowers a chance to develop properly

"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Crickett

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Injury prone player meets medical staff. This might not end up well.

Seriously though, he cant be any worse than Newhouse there and it gives Flowers a chance to develop properly

He only needs to hold up until November. And yes, I know that's a tall order for Long, but at this point what choice do the Giants have? Having Flowers at LT and Newhouse at RT is really stretching it.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:

Crazy high, yes lol way over market value

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, Chris Chester, a 32 year old mediocre OG, just got 1 year, $2.8m from the Falcons after being release by the Redskins.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who really cares about the money? If he's healthy and the Giants think he can help them win, sign him up. It's not like it's coming out of my pocket.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
bagh

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's our cap situation now any way?
ESKY008

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagh wrote:
what's our cap situation now any way?

I think roughly $7.5 mill in space but we still need to sign Collins and Flowers.
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we sign the guy and let him start at LT so we can get Flowers to settle in at RT before pushing Beatty for the franchise LT.

Long, Pugh, Richburg, Schwartz, Flowers is a really good OL to help us get this offense in the top 10.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: