Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants will use franchise tag on JPP if no long term deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acgott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Giants will use franchise tag on JPP if no long term deal Reply with quote

Quote:
@AdamSchefter: Giants will use their franchise tag on DE Jason Pierre-Paul if the two sides fail to reach a long-term deal by March 2, per team source.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/569829051541692416
Go_Giants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not think that is a surprise to any Giant fan. 26 year old probowl caliber defensive ends are not easy to find.

Love how the mock drafts on other boards kept on having JPP leaving the Giants in free agency despite me making it clear the franchise tag would be used on him.
Ice_Dude_2008

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Giants wrote:
Do not think that is a surprise to any Giant fan. 26 year old probowl caliber defensive ends are not easy to find.

Love how the mock drafts on other boards kept on having JPP leaving the Giants in free agency despite me making it clear the franchise tag would be used on him.

Other boards often hope for such things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with it but they really need to lock him up long term at some point soon.

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im happy we got him signed for this year but we need to lock him up long term and get another DE to play the other side to help him out.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiscoBlue21 wrote:
Im happy we got him signed for this year but we need to lock him up long term and get another DE to play the other side to help him out.

We still have Ayers
Honestly, with JPP being tagged, DE is less of an immediate need and DT becomes the glaring weakness.

Wynn played well in limited snaps, Ayers played great before injury, and Moore will probably always be weaker against the run but he is still disruptive when he gets on the field.

DT?
Hankins goes without saying. Bromley never really saw the field. Jenkins slowed down massively as the year went on. Patterson and Kuhn, yeah...
Acgott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayers is coming off a major injury, he may not be ready for training camp

Ayers had 5 sacks last year, his career high is 5.5, he is not a going be a pass rushing machine. He is also going to be 30

JPP is inconsistent and also has major injury concerns.

Wynn played in 5 games. Not enough sample for him to see if he is a big part of the future.

There is a reason why Moore can't get on the field. The coaching staff doesn't trust him

We definitely need another top pass rusher especially with Spags scheme which relies on top notch pass rushers
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
There is a reason why Moore can't get on the field. The coaching staff doesn't trust him

We definitely need another top pass rusher especially with Spags scheme which relies on top notch pass rushers

I'm hoping these two counteract each other. Spags can correct whatever flaw Moore has shown that keeps him off the field, and Moore can then fill the void and give JPP a disruptive force on the other side. Ayers may have only registered 5 sacks but it seemed like he was frequently getting into the backfield causing issues even if he wasn't getting home.

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
Acgott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very worried about Spags. If Moore has talent hopefully Spags can get it out of him, but spags had a ton of talent with us and has done nothing since then

Ayers did great with us last year but he is still a 30 year old DE coming off a major injury. One great year does not mean we can depend on him
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
I am very worried about Spags. If Moore has talent hopefully Spags can get it out of him, but spags had a ton of talent with us and has done nothing since then

Ayers did great with us last year but he is still a 30 year old DE coming off a major injury. One great year does not mean we can depend on him

29th in yards allowed
22nd in points allowed

Things honestly can't get much worse on defense then last year. If Spags fails he will be shipped out along with Coughlin. Can't really lose. Personally I think you are holding to much against him. He was in a bad situation as the Rams coach, a horrible situation as the Saints DC, and a very low impact position as the Ravens secondary coach. Just get this defense back to average and we can win enough games to contend for the playoffs given all the talent we have on offense.

Acgott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Spags will be great for us, but one thing is for sure is that we need another top pass rusher
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:

Ayers had 5 sacks last year, his career high is 5.5, he is not a going be a pass rushing machine. He is also going to be 30

Wynn played in 5 games. Not enough sample for him to see if he is a big part of the future.

Wynn was solid in preseason as well. I think he has a bright future if he continues to grow.

Ayers isn't a long term answer, but he still has a couple of years left of good football.

Moore couldn't get on the field with a D coordinator that gave Romo 5 minutes in the pocket on a game winning drive and let Blake Bortles and the Jaguars lead a game winning drive... Moore will get bullied by the run game, but he is still disruptive. He's young and makes boneheaded mistakes, but he has the talent.

JPP ended the season very strongly and has always been good against the run. However, next to Hankins, we have nothing - long term or short term.

JPP, Ayers/Moore, gives us a decent DE rotation. But we were bullied against the run last year. We need DT help.
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope Fowler falls to us or Shane Ray is still on the board as well

Kodaraw wrote:
Acgott wrote:

Wynn was solid in preseason as well. I think he has a bright future if he continues to grow.

Ayers isn't a long term answer, but he still has a couple of years left of good football.

Moore couldn't get on the field with a D coordinator that gave Romo 5 minutes in the pocket on a game winning drive and let Blake Bortles and the Jaguars lead a game winning drive... Moore will get bullied by the run game, but he is still disruptive. He's young and makes boneheaded mistakes, but he has the talent.

JPP ended the season very strongly and has always been good against the run. However, next to Hankins, we have nothing - long term or short term.

JPP, Ayers/Moore, gives us a decent DE rotation. But we were bullied against the run last year. We need DT help.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think Fowler goes top 5. Sad
Go_Giants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Hopefully Spags will be great for us, but one thing is for sure is that we need another top pass rusher

I can't guarantee he will be great, but one I know for sure is that he will be better than Fewell. To be fair to Fewell I would give him a B- as a grade, would have it be a B, but his blitze packages were the worst I ever seen. He would send seven on his blitze schemes and some how all seven of them managed to get block by the five offensive linemen.

Fewell rarely came up with adjustments he was more of a just stick the system type of defensive coordinator. Spags was all about making defensive adjustments. I also felt Fewell had a passive defense, if the offense went with four wide out, he would sit back and let his secondary deal with the pressure. Most of the time when Spags saw four wide outs he wound send a blitze to put the pressure on the QB.

Hopefully we can build the defense up so that we win 50/50 with our offense and defense like we always do. However at worst, we fix the offensive line and have to win like Greenbay does, with our offense and having the defense able to slow the other offense down. I think Spags is at least capable of slowing an opposing offense down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: