Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive Line
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Offensive Line Reply with quote

Why does it seem that ever since our OL got decimated, it got better?

Does anyone think that Norv is trying to compensate by doing things he should have been doing the entire time like chipping their best pass rusher with our TE/FB's? But for some reason our worst players seem to be playing better. Even Clary isn't completely screwing up, and even getting some movement in the run game.

Why is this happening???

P.S. Did anyone else find that Suggs headslap on McMichael hilarious? Laughing

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Zappaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was coming here to post something about this. Our line has played lights out the last 3 or so games, no wonder Rivers has looked like Rivers of old. The last 2 weeks I was always wondering if it was just that we were playing bad pass rush defenses but the Ravens came in with the best pass rush D and a VERY good overall D and our line stonewalled them. Stats show they only had 1 QB hit (though I'd say it was worth 3-4 cuz Suggs laid the lumber to Rivers, made me cringe) the entire night and gave our O time to develop. Mathews once again had a good game with 90 yards though he has GOT to fix the fumblitis.

I have got to say Gaither has really played lights out and may have played well enough to get some serious consideration for the future. I believe Acee said that even though McNeil got his long term contract that there is a part in the contract that says if McNeil doesnt pass a physical from the Chargers training staff because of his neck then it can void the contract getting them out without having to pay the 10m+ owed next season. You have got to think that this could be a real option depending on how Gaither finishes out the season and what we can do contract wise with him. Also because it is the Chargers staff that gets to okay the physical, well yea it would be easy for them to say no.

As for Clary.. he still needs to go. lol.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Gaither dominating, the team has been able to help out Clary on every play while allowing Gaither to dominate on his own. When McNeill or Dombrowski were playing we weren't able to do this. Clary still needs to go regardless.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, I said the jury was still out on Gaither... well, after 3 fantastic performances, I'm completely sold!

The guy is a beast in the running game, always mauling guys, in pass defense, he can get moved a little with bull rushes, but he compensates that by locking on with his guy and not letting him go!

What a difference from McNeil... especially in the running game!
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaither deserves a lot of the praise, but Tyron Greene has really opened my eyes. I think LG is his most natural position and a lot of our plus sized runs have gone to our left side. Very, very pleased with the Gaither/Greene combo.

God last night's game was awesome
Zappaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The performances in the last few games really makes me think that it might be time to move on from Dielman and McNeil. The run game has improved a ton with Gaither/Greene and maybe moving forward with them would be best for the team. Also that would unload some pretty sizable contracts which could allow us to bring in another playmaker. I would have no problem leaving those guys on the left side, replacing Clary at RT and using the money saved to bring in some quality depth.

oh yea... THANK YOU KC!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
Gaither deserves a lot of the praise, but Tyron Greene has really opened my eyes. I think LG is his most natural position and a lot of our plus sized runs have gone to our left side. Very, very pleased with the Gaither/Greene combo.

God last night's game was awesome

Yah, i agree, but I thought Greene looked REALLY good pulling around and blocking those LB's, i thought he did a great job on Ray Lewis multiple times. I think he could be a pretty solid LG and he's a weird compliment to Gaither, going from 6'9" and just a massive man, to a 6'2" short squatty guard next to him, their completely different players.

Next week will be a test for Green trying to block Suh.

And yah i know Clary still has to go, but for some reason, he's randomly decided to play half decently and actually get movement in the run game, and, well, i guess he just decided to not screw up bad enough to make game changing plays in pass pro. Though he was getting help (finally) from our TE's FB's and RB's (The Head slap was still REALLY making me laugh.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
SanDiegoScrubs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to sign Gaither long term? My biggest fear though is once he gets a big contract he'll turn into Mcneill 2.0.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanDiegoScrubs wrote:
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to sign Gaither long term? My biggest fear though is once he gets a big contract he'll turn into Mcneill 2.0.

I agree that he might lose his edge if he is signed long term. I think the team can sign him to a reasonable short term deal after this year, but his stock is certainly going up after his last few weeks.

But I do not see any scenario with both McNeill and Gaither here next year. I do not imagine either will play RT for us, and we are paying McNeill too much to back up. So either Gaither walks, or McNeill is cut/traded and Gaither is signed.

You are right though: Green, Hardwick, and Vasquez have also stepped it up. Just the entire team attitude seemed to change yet again when it hit December. Just wish they had played like this against the Jets, Chiefs, Raiders, and Broncos. If they win half of those they are in great shape now, but it couldn't be that easy of course Sad
Buck Melanoma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching Gaither's performance against the Ravens last night, I'm ready to move on from McNeill. His run blocking has always been suspect & with the health issues .... could be time. Green has looked far more comfortable on the left side. Early in the year he seemed to have regressed quite a bit, but the switch seems to agree. Chemistry with Gaither may be better than with Clary as well. I've always felt that Vasquez is a mauler & that Clary, while a hard worker, was/is part of Vasquez' issues.

After watching this unit against a defense like Baltimore, it's obvious this is no fluke. Vanden Bosch has been a pain in our side for years. We'll see what our guys do with him, Suh, & Fairley this week.
Stone85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaither is absolutely a boss. Trade McNeill or something.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Incidental contact? His blind are you?
mgoblue44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:
Gaither is absolutely a boss. Trade McNeill or something.

After 3 games? Lol no
Stone85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade deadlines don't apply to us, so yeah. Laughing

He's played at a pro bowl level the last three games. if he continues this then trade mcneill... if he doesn't retire first, that is.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Incidental contact? His blind are you?
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:

He's played at a pro bowl level the last three games. if he continues this then trade mcneill... if he doesn't retire first, that is.

Mcneill just got a sizable contract so I doubt we can trade him or cut him with how the cap shapes up. I am ready to move on from his injury riddled past. I wish we had traded him previously and just gone with Dom. Mcneil offers us nothing because we can never depend on him to be on the field on Sundays.

Resign Hardwick, Gaither, move Dielman if we can get anything of value. Draft someone to actually compete with Clary.

Gaither, Green, Hardwick, Vasquez, Clary/McMichael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Stone85 wrote:

Mcneill just got a sizable contract so I doubt we can trade him or cut him with how the cap shapes up. I am ready to move on from his injury riddled past. I wish we had traded him previously and just gone with Dom. Mcneil offers us nothing because we can never depend on him to be on the field on Sundays.

Resign Hardwick, Gaither, move Dielman if we can get anything of value. Draft someone to actually compete with Clary.

Gaither, Green, Hardwick, Vasquez, Clary/McMichael

McNeil has something in his contract that says if he were to fail a Chargers team physical because of this neck issue then the team does not have to pay anything to him. Basically that is the teams "out" incase his neck is a problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: