Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers trade up for what

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greatone323

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Chargers trade up for what Reply with quote

What to know what you think the Chargers would trade up for if they packaged the picks with say Cleveland at #3. Would we be looking at Derrick Johnson LB Texas
supratony

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... theres no way we should trade up that high to take dj... i love the guy but i dont see him as a top 3 pick.... if we trade up that high... n if mike williams does run a 4.45 then thats the only guy worth trade'n up for... cause otherwise just stay where we are n take whoever is there...
boltfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Williams is the ONLY player we should trade up for, I dont care if he runs a 4-6 40. Come to think of it I hope he does run a 4-6 40, then he will more than likely fall!
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, guys it's been a while since I've posted. Do to a lot of things in my personal life. Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about the chargers draft. I never really wanted a WR cause I don't think it's a big need but I've always liked Mike Williams. I wished that their was a supplemental draft last year so we could have gotten him. I want to improve our defense but now I say if there is a chance to get Big Mike than I am all for it. I also am hoping we get Shaun Cody since I really like him in the 3-4 defense. I don't believe we could get both of them unless Mike falls to us which I'm hoping and wishing for.
TrueRedskin05

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all im a redskin fan i dont know if you guys will trade down it will just take to much i think to get 1 of the first 3 picks since all this stuff has gone on i dont know how far williams or edwards will fall if either 1 of them fall to #9 for the skins they will take either 1 of them but if both of them are still there i could see them taking williams because he catches anything thats close to him so if rampseys passes are alittle off he will make the catch unlike some off the recivers we have now but if you guys snag either edwards or williams you could be 1 of the contenders in the playoffs
sd screenwriter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Trade up possibility Reply with quote

I saw one mock draft that made a lot of sense (really the ONLY one I have seen that made sense) for a trade up for us. This would be for us to package our #12 and #60 to move up to the Titans at #6. This would only happen if one of the "big 2" receivers were still available.

What it does is get us the elite receiver we want without having to give up our other #1 to get it. At that pick we can get the best available DE; I also like Shaun Cody and hope he is still there at #28. I believe we should address the secondary via FA (Dwight Smith would be nice for a good price).

For the Titans, this works since 1) they still have big cap problems and 2) they can stockpile multiple picks to fill multiple needs and they can pay lower signing bonuses.

I think this scenario benefits both teams, and if Mike W. doesn't drop a sub-4.5 at his workout, I think he'll still be there at #6.
supratony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i totally like that idea.... of trading the 12 & 60 to move up to get mike.... cause what i've been hearing is that the chargers do not want to have top five picks anymore... not b/c we dont wanna suck that bad... the organization just doesn't want to have holdouts like we've had with all our top 5 picks...

and ya i hope that shaun cody does fall to our 28... but odds r that he's gonna be long gone by then....

o ya.... the last thing.... i'll be suprised if we brought dwight smith in for even an interview cause he was just put up on assualt charges n i dont think aj smith with what he said about bringing in 'character' guys will bring smith in now...
Titans2004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Titans fan, I'm hoping that only 1 WR is on the board when it is our turn to pick because then we might have a bidding war between the Bolts and Vikings with possibly the Skins getting in on the action...we will not trade out though unless we get great value...I like the sound of your #60, but like the sound of the Vikings #49 better...I honestly think that the Vikes will trade up to #3 in order to get the WR that they want...they have the extra draft picks and have filled all of their needs on the defensive side via FA so the only glaring hole is #1WR...it will be too risky for them to just wait for a WR at #7 because they could both easily be gone...this is Tice's last yr under contract so it is his money yr and he will do what it takes to get the guys he wants.
sd screenwriter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: You're on the money... Reply with quote

T2004-

I 100% agree with you and have posted as such on different threads. If one of the two receivers is still available at #6, the Titans are in nice position. I think all 3 teams would be bidding on that pick. I hope the Chargers come out with it, but I know AJ will not give up the farm to get it.

I fully expect Braylon to go first, so Williams is the likely guy if one is still there at 6. A lot of people have said that the Chargers need a speed guy, so Edwards is the better choice, but I am not one of those. I like guys who flat out CATCH THE BALL. Back in the "Air Coryell" days, we didn't have any real speed guys, they were all possession guys who ran great routes and caught anything that was close to them (Joiner, Chandler, Jefferson and Winslow). Having 3 guys that do the same in a Gates, McCardell and Williams would be fine with me, especially with the way Caldwell (before the injury) and Eric Parker have been coming along.

With that in place, we could spend the rest of the draft and next year's FA and draft on the O line and defense. Next offseason I fully expect us to trade either Brees or Rivers for a decent #1 pick to someone who needs a QB, so my guess is we will have two #1s again next year to continue upgrading and filling any holes that develop.

Here's hoping we get the chance to do business with ya, Titans!
supratony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as the draft comes closer.... i dont see us trade'n up unless its only a few spots... n the main reason is that this team is not willing to draft at top 5 anymore... n tenn's 6th pick will demand those kinda money.... so i only see the chargers trade'n to around 8-10... only b/c we can get someone good like dj, big mike or edwards without really give'n up too much n also not have'n to pay too much for that person we draft..... n i seriously doubt that vikes will trade down for a wr...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: