Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Team Needs for 2012 NFL Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Team Needs for 2012 NFL Draft Reply with quote

I'm putting together a Mock Draft database in MS Access 2003 that I intend on distributing to any who want it on this site the first week in February (I may float some test versions out there sooner).

What I need from you guys are the top 7 team needs which will be a one click reference when making the mock. I figure no one on this site knows this team better than it's fans.

Listed positions are QB, RB, FB, WR, TE, OT, OG, C, DE, DT, ILB, OLB, CB, FS, SS, K, P, LS, RS

Any and all help is appreciated.[/quote]

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Manning is healthy:

1. CB
2. SS
3. DT
4. OG
5. C
6. WR
7. DE or a LB...I haven't seen any games but Brackett might be done and Wheeler at OLB doesn't make me feel good.

If Manning is not healthy, QB is the #1 need and move everything above down a spot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coltsmanic808 wrote:
If Manning is healthy:

1. CB
2. SS
3. DT
4. OG
5. C
6. WR
7. DE or a LB...I haven't seen any games but Brackett might be done and Wheeler at OLB doesn't make me feel good.

If Manning is not healthy, QB is the #1 need and move everything above down a spot.

Pretty much this. Nevis was the best DT we've drafted in over a decade, but we need someone next to him atleast.

CB and S are easily the #1/#2 areas of concern. I have them 1a 1b really, and it would just depend on the value and who is there at the pick.
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colton wrote:
coltsmanic808 wrote:
If Manning is healthy:

1. CB
2. SS
3. DT
4. OG
5. C
6. WR

Pretty much this. Nevis was the best DT we've drafted in over a decade, but we need someone next to him atleast.

CB and S are easily the #1/#2 areas of concern. I have them 1a 1b really, and it would just depend on the value and who is there at the pick.

Yup. If there was an Eric Berry caliber SS in the top 5, I would trade down and immediately take him but I'll settle for Morris Claiborne or maybe trading down to grab Barkley if available and grab Alfonzo Dennard in the second. That's where most people are mocking him now and I heard he's the best Tampa 2 CB in the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to elevate the WR position in that order more ... we could realistically not have Garcon, Gonzo, or Wayne come back ... we'd have Austin Collie and Dallas Clark ... that's it. Now if the FO let's all 3 go that'd be insane because I at least see Garcon coming back, but you never know what can happen. All 3 could get a better offer.

I think regardless of Manning's health you have to put QB #1. He's 36, costs $28 million if he is back in Indy next year, and coming off major neck surgery (3 surgeries to be exact). He could be 1 hit away from having his career ended prematurely. We can't stand another season with Painter and Orlovsky at QB.

My order:

QB - Explained above

CB - Ive repeatedly said we've got the worst secondary in the NFL ... #s don't lie - ranked 18th in passing yards given up, giving up 71.9% completion percent to opposing QBs, and given up 23 passing TDs ... ranked 26th. Oh and we're last in INTs with only 6 (tied with Minnesota). We're tied with New Orleans with the least amount of takeways on defense with 12. In my opinion we need more than 1 CB ... Powers is the only CB worth being an NFLroster.

OG - protect your investment at QB / HOPEFULLY open up holes to run the ball

WR - Explained above / could lose Wayne, Garcon, will not resign Gonzalez. Need a target for whatever QB there is playing next year.

SS - Bullit should be back, but Caldwell is terrible. Need security / depth

LB - Sims, Angerer, and Connor i'm comfortable with, but we need more depth.

DT - Nevis is a beast, but his back injury is concerning. We'll have Eric Foster back, and Antonio Johnson / Moala / Tyler Brayton will still be on the roster coming training camp. Could use 1 more addition, but its not a necessity.

^ Props to WalterRedskins

"I don't have to call myself a Guru."
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colts21 wrote:
I think you have to elevate the WR position in that order more ... we could realistically not have Garcon, Gonzo, or Wayne come back ... we'd have Austin Collie and Dallas Clark ... that's it. Now if the FO let's all 3 go that'd be insane because I at least see Garcon coming back, but you never know what can happen. All 3 could get a better offer.

I think regardless of Manning's health you have to put QB #1. He's 36, costs $28 million if he is back in Indy next year, and coming off major neck surgery (3 surgeries to be exact). He could be 1 hit away from having his career ended prematurely. We can't stand another season with Painter and Orlovsky at QB.

My order:

QB - Explained above

CB - Ive repeatedly said we've got the worst secondary in the NFL ... #s don't lie - ranked 18th in passing yards given up, giving up 71.9% completion percent to opposing QBs, and given up 23 passing TDs ... ranked 26th. Oh and we're last in INTs with only 6 (tied with Minnesota). We're tied with New Orleans with the least amount of takeways on defense with 12. In my opinion we need more than 1 CB ... Powers is the only CB worth being an NFLroster.

OG - protect your investment at QB / HOPEFULLY open up holes to run the ball

WR - Explained above / could lose Wayne, Garcon, will not resign Gonzalez. Need a target for whatever QB there is playing next year.

SS - Bullit should be back, but Caldwell is terrible. Need security / depth

LB - Sims, Angerer, and Connor i'm comfortable with, but we need more depth.

DT - Nevis is a beast, but his back injury is concerning. We'll have Eric Foster back, and Antonio Johnson / Moala / Tyler Brayton will still be on the roster coming training camp. Could use 1 more addition, but its not a necessity.

I only didn't put WR up that high is because I believe if Manning comes back, I don't see everyone leaving for a crappier QB situation than ours though I could see why that's a concern. Bullit is Sanders 2.0. I said this last year that Bullit might not be the best investment. I'd be alright with taking Kuechly in the second honestly depending on how the first round/entire offseason panned out.

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going with the idea that Manning returns healthy, Mathis, Saturday and Garcon are resigned. Wayne, Diem and Gonzalez aren't resigned and Brackett is released.

QB - Regardless of Manning returning, we need to draft one
CB - Outside of Powers, I have zero confidence in any of our CBs
S - Can't even say that I have confidence in Bethea let alone Bullitt and D Caldwell
WR - Gonzalez has been a healthy scratch all year long, he won't be back. Wayne might not be worth the price tag and Garcon might get most of the cap space opened up by Wayne's departure
DT - Love Nevis and Moala, hope to bring in someone to rotate in with them that can be a monster
OG - I am hoping that Ijalana can stay healthy and play RT, then move Linkenbach inside to RG and let both Pollack and Diem go.
LB - Angerer and Connor are definitely set as starters next year, Brackett will likely be cut and Wheeler is expendable

After those
C - in case Saturday leaves (could move Pollack here though)
DE - in the outside chance that Robert Mathis isn't resigned this would jump up the list.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want to update this now that we are into free agency? Top 7 needs in order:

QB,RB,FB,WR,TE,OT,OG,C,DE,DT,OLB,ILB,CB,FS,SS,K,P,RS

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB - Luck
CB
NT - even if we address this position in F/A we still need to draft one
TE - we have a blocking TE in Eldridge
WR
MLB - I like Kavell Connor but I'm not sure if he and Angerer play the same position in the defense, looking for a TED LB
OLB - if we do trade or release Freeney we'll need depth or competition for Hughes
S
OG/C - Mike McGlynn is currently penciled in at LG but he's probably only a stop gap
CB - yes listed twice because what we have sucks
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
JRT2006

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks @ Duke for asking this question, on that note, I'm curious about draft strategy.

Lets consider a "reach" 15 spots ahead of big board position for my mock, how likely is your FO to reach for a player and if so, at which of the positions of need you've listed?

Thanks
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRT2006 wrote:
Thanks @ Duke for asking this question, on that note, I'm curious about draft strategy.

Lets consider a "reach" 15 spots ahead of big board position for my mock, how likely is your FO to reach for a player and if so, at which of the positions of need you've listed?

Thanks

Doubt it. It should be all defense in the second onwards unless Fleener is available.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coltsmanic808 wrote:

Doubt it. It should be all defense in the second onwards unless Fleener is available.

Agreed. Frankly, we need enough upgrades in talent at enough different positions that I think taking BPA and addressing needs will generally result in the same player. I do think we'll find room for a WR or TE somewhere in our draft if we don't get Fleener in the 2nd, though.
PainterNTheNeck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less (but not zero) pressure to draft OL since FA signings. We need a good pass catching TE- I agree that Fleener would be nice & I'm sure Luck would be pleased. If none of the 3 (~4) elite TEs are still available in 2nd, then secondary help, secondary help, secondary help, ad infinitum.... but a NT is a must too if Pagano is wanting to make strides towards 3-4 in yr one. As an aside- what of Freeney, Mathis & Redding in a 3-4 scheme? Redding is most true 3-4 DE, but still seems weird to picture Freeney & Mathis as OLBs except in 3rd down/obvious blitzing situations. Strong rotation if that's what Pagano has in mind. Their place in new scheme would affect our needs at OLB&DE. All in all, I wouldn't be mad if we got a TE, NT, WR and a bunch of S/CBs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: