Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Any prospect workouts scheduled?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KManX89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Any prospect workouts scheduled? Reply with quote

It's about that time of the season where free agent spending begins to die down a bit, and teams start scheduling private workouts with prospect players. Now, as we all know, TT is not a FA guy, he is a draft and develop guy...

Yeah, I get that, but (and this is what should annoy even those who approve of his purely D&D approach to a certain extent, which I can also get behind, I'm a DD-guru myself obviously, as you can tell by reading all my mocks) TT and MM don't seem to spend a whole lot of time working out prospects to see if they fit into our scheme, either, at least not compared to other teams like New England and Dallas, who both spend a lot of time working out prospects prior to DD (Dallas has already scheduled private workouts with OT Terron Armstead and FS Kenny Vaccaro and we're still 5 weeks away from the draft). It's not to say that they don't do any of this, as they've held private workouts with Shea McClellin (who many scouts and experts had him going to us last year before the Bears reached for him at #19) and Nick Perry prior to DD last year, but they didn't hold private workouts with anyone else, that I'm aware of, and I have yet to see a single workout scheduled with any of the 2013 prospects for the Pack this year on the FootballGuys website.

So, unless there's some scheduled visits/workouts that I don't know about (on a Fantasy Football/NFL news site other than the one I check out), they don't seem to be taking full advantage of the deep draft class this year other than the Pro Day visits. You'd think they'd schedule workouts with guys like Kawann Short, Datone Jones (both of whom are possible picks for us at #26, since DE is such a pressing need), possibly a mid round RB prospect like Christine Michael, or even higher-round backs like Lacy and Bernard to see where they would potentially fit in with us (MM did say he wanted to get Cobb off special teams, and Bernard is dangerous in both the running and return game, so I definitely wouldn't rule out Bernard in the 2nd at #57 for us if he's there). Anyone else a little bothered by this?
smetana34

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go figure. Ted's probably sitting on these.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT brought in way more than that last year. Couldn't find the thread(prolly 20 pages back) but all the beat writers should mention who comes in. TT doesn't bring in many guys he likes because that stuff is common knowledge. The visits are used as recruiting for late rounders who might go undrafted and to clear up any red flags on prospects (for the most part). I think McMillan was brought in last year. If he doesn't have pretty good ideas on who he likes by now he hasn't done his job. He's talked to these guys at shrine games, pro days, scouting combine, campus visits etc. Keep that in mind.

Sorry if that was worded weird... On break at work on my phone.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
CentralFC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Any prospect workouts scheduled? Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
It's about that time of the season where free agent spending begins to die down a bit, and teams start scheduling private workouts with prospect players. Now, as we all know, TT is not a FA guy, he is a draft and develop guy...

Yeah, I get that, but (and this is what should annoy even those who approve of his purely D&D approach to a certain extent, which I can also get behind, I'm a DD-guru myself obviously, as you can tell by reading all my mocks) TT and MM don't seem to spend a whole lot of time working out prospects to see if they fit into our scheme, either, at least not compared to other teams like New England and Dallas, who both spend a lot of time working out prospects prior to DD (Dallas has already scheduled private workouts with OT Terron Armstead and FS Kenny Vaccaro and we're still 5 weeks away from the draft). It's not to say that they don't do any of this, as they've held private workouts with Shea McClellin (who many scouts and experts had him going to us last year before the Bears reached for him at #19) and Nick Perry prior to DD last year, but they didn't hold private workouts with anyone else, that I'm aware of, and I have yet to see a single workout scheduled with any of the 2013 prospects for the Pack this year on the FootballGuys website.

So, unless there's some scheduled visits/workouts that I don't know about (on a Fantasy Football/NFL news site other than the one I check out), they don't seem to be taking full advantage of the deep draft class this year other than the Pro Day visits. You'd think they'd schedule workouts with guys like Kawann Short, Datone Jones (both of whom are possible picks for us at #26, since DE is such a pressing need), possibly a mid round RB prospect like Christine Michael, or even higher-round backs like Lacy and Bernard to see where they would potentially fit in with us (MM did say he wanted to get Cobb off special teams, and Bernard is dangerous in both the running and return game, so I definitely wouldn't rule out Bernard in the 2nd at #57 for us if he's there). Anyone else a little bothered by this?

Yeah, our GM and head coach rarely do any research on prospects heading into April. It's more or less like picking out of a hat.
smetana34

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Any prospect workouts scheduled? Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

Yeah, our GM and head coach rarely do any research on prospects heading into April. It's more or less like picking out of a hat.

Basically. I think he has just one big dart board he throws at.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: