Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki Was Wrong About Newton
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowerElite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki Was Wrong About Newton Reply with quote

Anyone remember the scouting report about Cam Newton that called him a fake, selfish, not accountable, and will struggle to win over a locker room? The scouting report that made the great Warren Moon recount it as the same unfounded prejudice that prolonged his initial entry into the NFL. With Cam Newton's great season obviously this guy Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly needs to be exposed as the fraud that he is.

Here's an excerpt of Cam Newton's scouting report produced by Pro Football Weekly's Senior Editor Nolan Nawrocki which was quoted inside of an article on NFL.com which covered Warren Moon's take on the whole matter along with a link for those that need a refresher.

Quote:
"Very disingenuous -- has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup," Nawrocki wrote in his scouting report. "Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law -- does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room ... Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness -- is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f0dd9c/article/moon-refutes-scouting-report-on-newton-writer-stands-by-it
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a LOT of people were wrong about Cam Newton. He's more than just a good QB, he's more than just a great athlete...he's a great QB.

In time, he will be a top 3 QB. He's got every single tool you can think of, plays tough on each down and has proven to be quite the leader when his team needs him to step up to the plate. He's made the Panther faithful forget that Andrew Luck was the guy they wanted this time last year.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When all a scouting report talks about is intangibles, it's not even worth reading.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite things. When he scores he takes the ball and gives it to a Panther fan. Love it.

Sig bet
Carolina_Champ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam Newton has made many "experts" look silly. That's why it annoys me when people speak with so much certainty when analyzing prospects. Until they're actually in the NFL, you NEVER know what your getting. No matter if its someone as "safe" as Andrew Luck or "risky" as Cam Newton.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to deny it, I did not like Newton as a prospect, and I got the same sort of impressions that Nawrocki did.

Watching Newton at the combine it was amazing how fake he came off in his press conferences and in some of his interviews. How he wanted to be "an icon" and "an entertainer". It just came off as if this guy has the biggest ego in the world.

Now I assume I would have come up with something entirely different had I been interviewing him with a GM and OC in the room as a Head Coach, but as an outside observer I got the same type of vibe.

I was wrong, not going to say anything different. But what it does show is the importance of the interview processes in the draft build up.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
I am not going to deny it, I did not like Newton as a prospect, and I got the same sort of impressions that Nawrocki did.

Watching Newton at the combine it was amazing how fake he came off in his press conferences and in some of his interviews. How he wanted to be "an icon" and "an entertainer". It just came off as if this guy has the biggest ego in the world.

Now I assume I would have come up with something entirely different had I been interviewing him with a GM and OC in the room as a Head Coach, but as an outside observer I got the same type of vibe.

I was wrong, not going to say anything different. But what it does show is the importance of the interview processes in the draft build up.

Some of the greatest players of all time have massive egos. Not just n football, but in every sport. Why would that be a red flag even if it were true?
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki Was Wrong About New Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
Anyone remember the scouting report about Cam Newton that called him a fake, selfish, not accountable, and will struggle to win over a locker room? The scouting report that made the great Warren Moon recount it as the same unfounded prejudice that prolonged his initial entry into the NFL. With Cam Newton's great season obviously this guy Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly needs to be exposed as the fraud that he is.

Here's an excerpt of Cam Newton's scouting report produced by Pro Football Weekly's Senior Editor Nolan Nawrocki which was quoted inside of an article on NFL.com which covered Warren Moon's take on the whole matter along with a link for those that need a refresher.

Quote:
"Very disingenuous -- has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup," Nawrocki wrote in his scouting report. "Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law -- does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room ... Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness -- is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f0dd9c/article/moon-refutes-scouting-report-on-newton-writer-stands-by-it

I love Cam's play. He's one of the most gifted QBs to come into the NFL in a long time. The criticisms you're quoting though are not related to his skill, and they are the type of thing that might show up somewhere down the road. Time will tell whether he was right or wrong, or maybe even very wrong.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
khodder wrote:

Some of the greatest players of all time have massive egos. Not just n football, but in every sport. Why would that be a red flag even if it were true?

It seemed like a nothing else matters but me ego and in the consummate team sport where your Quarterback needs to be Leader and command the locker room's respect and be able to elevate their play with his leadership it seemed that Newton was never going to be able to do that.

It is just the impression I got from him, from the outside looking in. It is hard to tell what a person is like from the outside, and it is why I was never vocal about my impressions of him like that and if I were a reporter/journalist I would never publish an article like this one unless I had sat down with him and interviewed him one on one.

My impression was obviously incorrect, but it is the impression I got from him.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki Was Wrong About New Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:

they are the type of thing that might show up somewhere down the road. Time will tell whether he was right or wrong, or maybe even very wrong.

That may be the case if those criticisms were from an individual that knew Cam Newton, but they were not. They are from an editor of a draft magazine who has "anonymous sources" which may or may not exist. That's sorta the beauty of freedom of the press. The press can completely fabricate information while giving it "validity" in the minds of some by using the ol' "I shall protect my sources" routine. Rolling Eyes
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0NzTCGW-tA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you so sure that he's wrong? What he said really doesn't even relate to football, so who knows if it's false or not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of people thought what he did, but no one that said stuff like this actually knew him.
He's just proving all of you wrong.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
What makes you so sure that he's wrong? What he said really doesn't even relate to football, so who knows if it's false or not.

That's the issue. So many people focused only on Newton's intangibles and paid no mind to his athletic skills.

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, nobody should have taken this seriously. The author himself, when grilled on the story, admitted that he didn't know Newton personally, he'd never even had a conversation with the guy.

At the time, he was working on a book about the draft and these comments got him a lot if cheap PR. That was pretty much it.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: