Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

D94W's "Young QBs Review" - Looking back on 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titwio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good write up but you forgot to add guys like Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy who were reviews I was looking forward to reading after I started going through your post.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
Pretty good write up but you forgot to add guys like Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy who were reviews I was looking forward to reading after I started going through your post.

I'll get to them in a part 2, coming soon. You know how much time I put in to watching every possible throw of all those included in this post? That took a ton of time as it is...

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Great Ponder write up, i do agree with a lot of it. Ponder has shown great accuracy, and has shown the ability to make every throw that is expected as an NFL Qb. There is concern with his pocket awareness, sometimes he seems to throw the ball sooner than he should and sometimes looks to scramble around more than he should. The Vikes pass protection has been horrible this year, so maybe he just has happy feet because he just anticipates a lot of pressure. If MN can fix its Oline, I think Ponder will settle down a bit in the pocket and make better reads, which should also give him better ball placement. And to comment on ball placement, when you dont have a clean pocket ball placement can be off. Ponder has shown pretty good poise all things considered, and I think he has the moxy to be a starting Qb, but i do agree, when he does make a horrible throw more bad throws seem to follow, but he still shows moxy in taking those shots and not fearing the consequences.

Overall, Ponder has impressed me. He has a better arm and better athleticism than I would have imagined, and the accuracy has been good. He really needs to work on pocket awareness, throwing the ball away, and better ball placement; which some of these issues will improve once he gets better protection.

Ponder does take a lot of sacks it seems, mainly due to the Oline being dreadful, but I have seen on a few occasions where Ponder is reluctant to throw the ball out of bounds. But maybe that goes to moxy and confidence, Ponder would rather try and make a play than give up and chuck the ball out of bounds.

Yes, the Oline's struggles could be a big part of why he's rushing throws and not placing them well. But overall, a QB still needs to place them better, pressure or no pressure. Many subpar QBs look great when they have good protection, a reliable target, and a good running game. I'm trying to assess more his base attributes and abilities without studying protection or considering how good the run game or defense or cast is - this is, afterall, about the QB, and not the team they play for. Very Happy

Read the Football FAQ!
-Hope-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoy your posts...good to see you around again.

Do you have any thoughts on Jake Locker's half against the Falcons? I was pretty impressed, but he did sail a few balls and a lot of it was designed rollouts so it seems he still has work to do. Sitting will be good for him, hopefully.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Jets fan, this is such a refreshing analysis of Sanchez. It's a nice change of pace from the typical "ZOMGZ SANCHEZ SUX!!!" that I always hear.

Props to Jamison for the sig.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
Really enjoy your posts...good to see you around again.

Do you have any thoughts on Jake Locker's half against the Falcons? I was pretty impressed, but he did sail a few balls and a lot of it was designed rollouts so it seems he still has work to do. Sitting will be good for him, hopefully.

Designed rollouts seemed to have fit him very well. He has a good velocity on his tosses while rolling out, and maintains good accuracy as well. I could see him being a real Elway-like threat on those rollouts and waggles, which would open up some really killer fake-rollout tosses to Johnson around the opposite end. Some really nice potential wrinkles with a QB who can throw that well off a rollout.

Read the Football FAQ!
Heavinsent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Agent wrote:
When you're declared the face of the NFL and then you play average, you're gonna take a lot of criticism. Not really surprising.

Funny, I've literally NEVER heard anyone say that before.

The biggest reason by far that Sanchez takes so much criticism is because he plays for a NY team.

Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavinsent wrote:
Double Agent wrote:
When you're declared the face of the NFL and then you play average, you're gonna take a lot of criticism. Not really surprising.

The biggest reason by far that Sanchez takes so much criticism is because he plays for a NY team.

It's the same reason Eli gets so much fame for being part of a Super Bowl winning team.

When you play in NY, where the media is literally twice the size and twice as loud as just about anywhere else in the league, every throw, play, win and loss is going to treated like it's the only thing you have ever done in your entire career.

Eli gets exceptions for his putrid plays because he wears a ring. Sanchez gets rotten tomatoes tossed at him for his bad plays because he doesn't wear a ring. That's just how it's going to be when you play in NY, regardless of just about anything else one could name.

Read the Football FAQ!
Heavinsent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Heavinsent wrote:
Double Agent wrote:

It's the same reason Eli gets so much fame for being part of a Super Bowl winning team.

When you play in NY, where the media is literally twice the size and twice as loud as just about anywhere else in the league, every throw, play, win and loss is going to treated like it's the only thing you have ever done in your entire career.

Eli gets exceptions for his putrid plays because he wears a ring. Sanchez gets rotten tomatoes tossed at him for his bad plays because he doesn't wear a ring. That's just how it's going to be when you play in NY, regardless of just about anything else one could name.

It's crazy how fickle the NY media is. I read the NY Post and after the loss to the Broncos, they were ripping into Sanchez and saying how he might not be our guy and stuff like that, but after they beat Buffalo last week they were calling him the Sanchize and talking about how clutch he is.

You're one of the very few people I have talked too that are actually level-headed about Sanchez.

Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavinsent wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Heavinsent wrote:
Double Agent wrote:

It's crazy how fickle the NY media is. I read the NY Post and after the loss to the Broncos, they were ripping into Sanchez and saying how he might not be our guy and stuff like that, but after they beat Buffalo last week they were calling him the Sanchize and talking about how clutch he is.

You're one of the very few people I have talked too that are actually level-headed about Sanchez.

Well, I do try!

But living in NY myself, I also see it first hand.

And being a Dallas Cowboys fan, I see the very same all or nothing mentality about Romo too.

Those high profile teams and locales, will always have a media and fan base that think you're the best player in the team's history when you win big, and think you need to be cut the next week if you lose.

Read the Football FAQ!
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to start reviewing Bradford, McCoy, Freeman and Matt Moore today.

I don't have time to put in Flacco and Ryan this time around, I'll get to them later in the week!

Read the Football FAQ!
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: D94W's "Young QBs Review" Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
I've gotten married and brought a little D94W into the world...

You and me both, my man. Aren't they the best? (The wife AND the lil one...) My boy is one month old now, such an awesome feeling. Very Happy

Great to have you back, hope to see more of you. Would be interested to see a TJ Yates writeup (granted, I know you won't have a LOT to go off of, not until the season is done at least...but a first impression following Sunday would be pretty cool).

I actually got to watch Yates' every throw this past Sunday while scoping out Gabbert.

Wondering if you saw him yesterday; I personally think he had a fantastic outing, but would like your assesment on him. He had one throw (that was dropped by Andre Johnson, interestingly enough) that REALLY made me feel good about his chances; He playfaked left, rolled out right, had Owen Daniels for a 4 yard completion...but waited it out, let AJ clear the "middle" coverage and threw a STRIKE to AJ, hit him in stride. One of the best throws I've seen from ANY Texans QB this season...

AJs gotta make that catch, but I digress. It was a FANTASTIC throw.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavinsent wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Heavinsent wrote:
Double Agent wrote:

Just read the NY Jets sub section, it is just as bad. Also stop reading the post, it is a terrible news paper
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: D94W's "Young QBs Review" Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
I've gotten married and brought a little D94W into the world...

You and me both, my man. Aren't they the best? (The wife AND the lil one...) My boy is one month old now, such an awesome feeling. Very Happy

Great to have you back, hope to see more of you. Would be interested to see a TJ Yates writeup (granted, I know you won't have a LOT to go off of, not until the season is done at least...but a first impression following Sunday would be pretty cool).

I actually got to watch Yates' every throw this past Sunday while scoping out Gabbert.

Wondering if you saw him yesterday; I personally think he had a fantastic outing, but would like your assesment on him. He had one throw (that was dropped by Andre Johnson, interestingly enough) that REALLY made me feel good about his chances; He playfaked left, rolled out right, had Owen Daniels for a 4 yard completion...but waited it out, let AJ clear the "middle" coverage and threw a STRIKE to AJ, hit him in stride. One of the best throws I've seen from ANY Texans QB this season...

AJs gotta make that catch, but I digress. It was a FANTASTIC throw.

I caught part of the game while flipping around watching Den/Min and Ten/Buf.

I probably missed that throw, as I don't recall that specifically. But I remember his little red zone toss to "Salad" Dressen, and I have to say, anytime you have a young signal caller who can toss a score a handful of yards away from the endzone, it's a good thing.

It's very difficult to get the ball to a receiver that close to the end zone - the windows are very small, and they close very quickly. Takes a fast decision and a faster release to throw those in from 3-4 yards out.

I wouldn't be too eager to unseat Schaub as starter though. He's one talented QB, and was it not just a couple seasons ago he was leading the league in passing yards? Yates is showing promise, but you already know you're getting quality in Schaub.

Read the Football FAQ!
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dallas94Ware Great writeup!

As for Ponder, it's funny you criticised his placement, he had awesome placement against the Broncos that resulted in a lot of YAC. He seems to have heeded your words. Razz

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: