Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 NFL Mock Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do we need to take a QB in the first round?
Yes
37%
 37%  [ 11 ]
No
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
Only if Luck or Barkley is there
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
Other
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
Mine is more like.

1. Trade down + get Perry
2. Stay at 12 and get Ingram

3. Trade down and get Hightower
4. Stay at 12 and get Kuechly

Really? I've heard you say numerous times that Hightower did not fit our defense. What changed your mind? Personally, I have some reservations about how well he would fit, but I love the guy as a player and would be thrilled if we drafted him. I have him #10 overall, on my big board.

Because I don't necessarily think he fits any worse than Kuechly. I guess what I'm saying is, I'd just prefer not to draft a natural MLB. I'd rather move Wright their and get a rushing SLB. Kuechly would be tremendous at MLB, but I don't think our defense as a whole would be great. And Hightower would be great as well. The thing that has made me accepting of taking Hightower is that it means we'll likely trade down (which I'd love) and after revisiting his tape he's actually a stronger pass rusher than I remember.

However, I'd preferably take a guy that will be a big time pass rusher like Ingram or Perry.
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
Mine is more like.

Really? I've heard you say numerous times that Hightower did not fit our defense. What changed your mind? Personally, I have some reservations about how well he would fit, but I love the guy as a player and would be thrilled if we drafted him. I have him #10 overall, on my big board.

Because I don't necessarily think he fits any worse than Kuechly. I guess what I'm saying is, I'd just prefer not to draft a natural MLB. I'd rather move Wright their and get a rushing SLB. Kuechly would be tremendous at MLB, but I don't think our defense as a whole would be great. And Hightower would be great as well. The thing that has made me accepting of taking Hightower is that it means we'll likely trade down (which I'd love) and after revisiting his tape he's actually a stronger pass rusher than I remember.

However, I'd preferably take a guy that will be a big time pass rusher like Ingram or Perry.

Fair enough. Personally, I think Hightower may be the best pass rushing MLB in the draft. As I said, I'm not sold on Ingram or Perry, but just because we might pass on them in the first round, doesn't mean we won't address the pass rush a little later. There is a lot of solid pass rushers that can be had slightly later in the draft. I'm still wishing for Curry in round 2, to man the LEO position. Trading down and selecting Hightower, might give us the ammunition to make sure Curry is ours. In fact, now that I think about it, I might even prefer a combo of Hightower and Curry to Kuechly and Curry. Trading down in round 1, might allow us to add another 2nd round pick as well, to get a pass rushing SLB like Irvin or Mclellin.

Wow! Imagine this.......

Trade down in round 1, for an additional 2nd round pick.

1. Dont'a Hightower MLB
2. Vinny Curry LEO
2. Bruce Irvin or Shea McClellin SLB
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
Mine is more like.

I'm not sold on Ingram being a dominant pass rusher at this point from SLB. Seems like he's had his best success rushing from a UT spot. It's kinda why I feel like in a 3-4 his best position may end up being at SILB.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it seems like if we got Hightower, I'd rather run Hightower at SLB and Wright at MLB.

ram29jackson wrote:
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be nice.

Though for me I'd rather get the pass rusher early because those positions seem to much more difficult to find late in the draft in relation to other positions.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
That would be nice.

Though for me I'd rather get the pass rusher early because those positions seem to much more difficult to find late in the draft in relation to other positions.
Which I agree with. But I still think Kuechly's coverage abilities are something we're underrating. I think either way, we're probably a player away from being an elite defense this year unless we hit big time in the 2nd or 3rd round as well.

So the question is, do we think Kuechly is that much better than any MLB we're going to be able to get this year or next year in the draft? Because if we do, I'd rather get him and take guys like Bequette, Irvin, and Kaddu in later rounds.

ram29jackson wrote:
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I don't think Kuechly would be THAT much better for us than Hightower. Which is why I'd rather trade and down at get more picks + Hightower than take Kuechly.

I'm not underrating his coverage skills. I realize he's one of the best coverage MLBs to come out in a VERY long time. But I feel that this defense needs a lot more help rushing the passer than they do covering the shallow middle half of the field. Hightower brings more of a pass rush.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
No. I don't think Kuechly would be THAT much better for us than Hightower. Which is why I'd rather trade and down at get more picks + Hightower than take Kuechly.

I'm not underrating his coverage skills. I realize he's one of the best coverage MLBs to come out in a VERY long time. But I feel that this defense needs a lot more help rushing the passer than they do covering the shallow middle half of the field. Hightower brings more of a pass rush.
I think we'd be potentially better in the immediate future (i.e. this year) with trading down, having Hightower at SLB and KJ Wright at MLB.

But I think over the long hall, Kuechly is the better pick.

ram29jackson wrote:
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think over the long haul Ingram and Perry would be far better picks.
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:

I see them both as being 5-6 sack a year guys in this defense. I just don't see them as elite pass rushers.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

I see them both as being 5-6 sack a year guys in this defense. I just don't see them as elite pass rushers.
I think Perry has a higher upside than Ingram. I can see Perry getting 5-6 sacks next year with spot duty. I think he'd be a double digit guy as a starter.

ram29jackson wrote:
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Also, it seems like if we got Hightower, I'd rather run Hightower at SLB and Wright at MLB.

It all depends on where the coaching staff wants to play Wright. We have no say in it. Personally, I think Wright can be a good MLB, but I also believe he can be a very good WLB. I see Hightower with way more upside at MLB, than Wright though. Is it enough to make a huge difference in our defense? I don't know.

Although I definitely think Hightower would be an upgrade over Wright at SLB, I don't think it would be as much as we'd want. Neither are natural SLB's. I believe Hightower is a natural MLB, who could be moved around in a variety of situations, which could benefit us greatly. That could mean manning the SLB on certain plays, WLB on certain plays and I could even see him as a LEO in certain situations, but I see his primary position at MLB. With his skillset though, he is extremely versatile.

Last edited by TheOsprey on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 am; edited 2 times in total
chpjns15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a huge fan of Hightower. I wouldnt touch him until atleast the early 2nd, preferably the mid to late 2nd, but I think he will be gone by then. I currently wouldn't mind the idea of trading down for Perry, or even for McCellin. If we stay at #12, there is no doubt in my mind that we will select Luke Kuechly. He provides amazing talent at a position of need, low-bust potential, very high ceiling, good value, and great leadership. What more could we want???

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
jimbojones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this (I've assumed we trade down at some point and acquire a 5th round pick):

1 Kuechly – MLB – Boston College – I had such a hard time with this pick, because no-one jumps out at 12. In the end I’ve settled for Kuechly, who is the prototypical 4-3 Mike. Wright could stay at SLB. Wright showed some promise in the latter half of the season rushing the passer, and was in the backfield a decent amount. He should improve again at this, and Kuechly could stay in coverage and provide run-support.

2 Curry – DE – Marshall – Definitely a convergence of BPA and need at this point. Year 1 I would see Curry playing the Raheem Brock role, coming in for Bryant in passing situations (imagine a 3rd and long front 4 of Curry, Jones, MacDonald and Clemons). Clemons is only under contract for this year, so in Year 2 Curry would become the new LEO.

3 Spence – WLB – Miami – We want speed in the front 7, and Spence would provide it. He’s more talented than the 3rd round, but could easily slip as he is undersized. I think he’s ideal for Seattle – we use so many multiple DB packages he could actually perform a LB/S hybrid type role. He’s a sideline to sideline player and instinctive. I think he’s a steal here and along with Wright and Kuechly would transform our LB core into a real strength.

4 Norman – CB – Coastal Carolina – I think CB is a bigger need than many would think. Trufant is aging, Thurmond is struggling with injuries, and our 2 starters are both effectively rookies. Norman has starting potential and could be an upgrade on Browner sooner rather than later. In the meantime he adds depth to our DB group.

5 Ballard – RB – Mississippi State – Personal favourite! He is a big guy and he runs angry. I think he’s a perfect back to spell Lynch, and Washington can mop up the scraps in the 4th quarter when the defense is battered into submission. Much as it would be exciting to field a ‘Thunder and Lightning’ type combo, our offense is so predicated on Lynch’s running that we need someone who can take over if he goes down or gets lazy having been paid.

6 Jean-Baptiste – NT – Baylor – A bit of a crapshoot, this one, but we don’t really have any significant depth behind Mebane at 1-Tech. Jean-Baptiste has a great skill mix, having the size of an NT but also being able to disrupt and collapse the pocket.

7 Ryan – OT/OG – UConn – I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about this guy. But we could do with a versatile lineman, he’s got the size Cable likes and he came in for a visit. Along with Giacomini, Jeanpierre and McQuistan he gives us some genuine depth if (when) the starters go down with injuries.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spence is going to be virtually useless in the NFL and Josh Norman is probably going to go higher than that (I've heard quite a bit of buzz around him).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: