Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Interest in Mario Williams? AJ... stop teasing me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Interest in Mario Williams? AJ... stop teasing me! Reply with quote

Quote:
Following back-to-back disappointing seasons that saw a supremely talented San Diego team miss the playoffs, the Chargers could be on the verge of making a big free-agent splash this offseason.

La Canfora: 2012 free agent class
With franchise tagging behind us, free agency looms. Jason La Canfora scouts the top players hitting the open market. More ...
The Chargers have assigned an unknown price that they would be willing to pay in order to sign presumptive free agent Mario Williams, U-T San Diego reported Tuesday. The newspaper also reported the team spoke with Williams' agent, Ben Dogra, at the NFL Scouting Combine last month, but it's unclear if Williams' name specifically came up in conversation.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827703c4/article/chargers-reportedly-interested-in-signing-lb-williams?module=HP11_headline_stack

I don't know why I let the man tease me. If ever there was a season for AJ to do something drastic and out of character this would be it but... we do I suddenly feel like I did when they promised me that Arrested Development was being brought back only to find out it was goin to be a movie and then... webisodes... and then nothing at all. Confused

Also to be clear, signing Mario would effectively mean no more VJ, no way we could afford both of the two in the same cap window we have right now. Gaither and Hardwick re-signed yes, but we'd be, if we were extremely lucky, getting Mario at the expense of losing VJ. That said... not having to go pass-rusher in the 1st would give us IMMENSE flexibility in the 1st - even if they're not a ton of pro-ready, prototypical #1 WR's in this draft class.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kamerion Wimbley - LB - Raiders
ESPN's Bill Williamson expects the Raiders to release OLB Kam Wimbley barring "a major change," and suggests the Chargers could be the favorites to land Wimbley in free agency.

Wimbley's agents haven't spoken to Raiders team brass in "several days," and Williamson reiterates that Wimbley is not amenable to any pay reduction. Williamson is just speculating on San Diego as the potential front-runner, but it makes sense. The Chargers are desperate for a pass rusher capable of handling heavy snaps, and they know Wimbley well from the division.
Related: Chargers
Source: ESPN.com

I am all for us having the flexibility with our Round 1 selection. I would love Kamerion Wimbley. He's shown he can be an effective pass-rusher, can play many snaps, and is a proven talent at the rush linebacker spot.

That being said I would love if we got Mario and said bye bye to VJAX. I'm trying to be realistic though and would love to see us go Cordy Glenn/Michael Floyd in round 1, and Kamerion Wimbley picked up in Free Agency.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanitizer wrote:
Quote:
ESPN's Bill Williamson expects the Raiders to release OLB Kam Wimbley barring "a major change," and suggests the Chargers could be the favorites to land Wimbley in free agency.

Wimbley's agents haven't spoken to Raiders team brass in "several days," and Williamson reiterates that Wimbley is not amenable to any pay reduction. Williamson is just speculating on San Diego as the potential front-runner, but it makes sense. The Chargers are desperate for a pass rusher capable of handling heavy snaps, and they know Wimbley well from the division.

I am all for us having the flexibility with our Round 1 selection. I would love Kamerion Wimbley. He's shown he can be an effective pass-rusher, can play many snaps, and is a proven talent at the rush linebacker spot.

That being said I would love if we got Mario and said bye bye to VJAX. I'm trying to be realistic though and would love to see us go Cordy Glenn/Michael Floyd in round 1, and Kamerion Wimbley picked up in Free Agency.

Uh....

Im pretty sure Kamerion Wembley is going into year 2 of a 5 year deal he got last offseason...

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanitizer wrote:
Quote:

I still don't think Wimbley's really proven he's all that effective. In each of his seasons with the Raiders a solid majority of his sacks came in multi-sack games against pretty poor level LT's (I don't consider hanging 2 and 3 sacks on Brandyn Dombrowski to be a good gauge of "effectiveness"). Now, if he's willing to settle on a much more amiable contract because the one he had with Oakland previously just got prematurely terminated, then I'm not opposed to the signing so long as there's not a ton of guaranteed money tied to it. But I wouldn't go so far as to pass on a quality option at OLB if one fell to us in the 2nd round (Wimbley's among those kind of guys I'd always consider to be not safe from "can be upgraded from" status as he's not particularly strong against the run).

I'll be honest, if AJ could become a bit more effective (bad word, maybe "proactive" is the more appropriate one) in his efforts to insure re-signing our own players that we want to keep and he could detach himself from Norv (which I really think is more on Dean now than anything because Dean doesn't like change and doesn't appear to like having instability or inexperience on the sideline), then I wouldn't really be opposed to AJ continuing to hold the front office reins (it's better than Spanos Junior!) so long as he is open to something which even the great Belichick was - go out and bring in a draft/scouting consultant/guru. There are a number of former GM's out there who were God awful at actually running the teams but had a real eye for talent in their eval. Look at Floyd Reese - terrible money management but extremely good talent identifier. AJ could really use one of those.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not even going to bother being excited over this because its never going to happen while AJ is the team's gm Laughing
The-Beast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that set price will fall well short of Williams expectations.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-Beast wrote:
And that set price will fall well short of Williams expectations.

I have a set price of 2 grand I am willing to pay for a Ferrari.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Chargers would make a serious offer if they plan on still running the 3-4. Sure, Mario can play OLB, but I think he is better suited for every down pass rushing from the 3 point stance.

That being said, I do expect a big move to be made that AJ normally wouldn't make. If he loses VJ (and I think that is looking more and more likely) then he will make a splash in free agency. If the Jets let Sione Pouha hit the market he could be a guy AJ goes after, or maybe a corner like Brandon Carr.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
I don't think the Chargers would make a serious offer if they plan on still running the 3-4. Sure, Mario can play OLB, but I think he is better suited for every down pass rushing from the 3 point stance.

That being said, I do expect a big move to be made that AJ normally wouldn't make. If he loses VJ (and I think that is looking more and more likely) then he will make a splash in free agency. If the Jets let Sione Pouha hit the market he could be a guy AJ goes after, or maybe a corner like Brandon Carr.

Brandon Carr is going to get a huge contract. He's really good. I could Soliai being an option.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:

Brandon Carr is going to get a huge contract. He's really good. I could Soliai being an option.

Oh I know. But this discussion started with Mario WIlliams who is going to be an even more expensive prize. If there is legitimate interest in Mario then the price tag for Carr is likely not out of the question.
lakeroy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Oh I know. But this discussion started with Mario WIlliams who is going to be an even more expensive prize. If there is legitimate interest in Mario then the price tag for Carr is likely not out of the question.
The difference is that the Chargers have a HUGE need for an OLB, but they don't have much of a need for a CB.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeroy wrote:
AntonioGates wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

The difference is that the Chargers have a HUGE need for an OLB, but they don't have much of a need for a CB.

I don't disagree, but Jammer is in his twilight years, and Cason is in his last year of his contract and inconsistent. Behind them are Gilchrist and Wright, who both have shown very little at this point. So we don't need a corner, but the corners we do have can be upgraded.
Stone85

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
sanitizer wrote:
Quote:

Uh....

Im pretty sure Kamerion Wembley is going into year 2 of a 5 year deal he got last offseason...

Read the first line from espn... lol

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Incidental contact? His blind are you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: