You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bledsoe signing question?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Bledsoe signing question? Reply with quote

How did the Cowboys sign Bledsoe already? I thought F/A couldn't be signed until March 2nd, and why haven't any of the other players around the NFL that have been cut this week been signed by other teams? Sad
CowboyYankee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the deals are "official" until March 2nd. But obviously teams can make announcements whenever they want. They should make the free agent signing period start the day after the last day to put the franchise tag on a player. If anyone can think of a good reason for the week inbetween then please school me.
Slade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: But Reply with quote

He is signed right? I thought if you did what they have done with Bledsoe but it isn't official then that would be considered tampering.

I understand that March 2nd is the day that players w/o contracts become either restricted or unrestricted free agents. But it seems like once a player is "cut" or "released" then they are on the market, but no other players that have been cut this week have signed with new teams.
CowboyYankee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt he is signed. I think the tampering issue went out the window on Feb 22. I'm not sure about any of this (except that DB is on our team). The NFL is pretty confusing this time of year.

Maybe someone else can clear this up.....
Battlelordz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal is already official. There is a cut date and a FA date. Last Tuesday was the cut date. As a courtesy Buffalo/Cleveland announced last week that they were releasing Bledsoe/Garcia.
ParcellsIsGod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, from what I udnerstand, when Bledsoe was RELEASED he then became elible to sign with another team. He's a free agent who is not property of any other team. That's why we were able to sign Woody Danzler, b/c he was released from Atlanta after an injury. If we release Roy Williams today, he could sign with another team right away. If another team wants to sign an unrestricted free agent like Vinny Testaverde, though, they'll have to wait until march 2nd (we could have signed him earlier, though, b/c we have first rights).

Jerry Jones wasn't even allowed to talk about Bledsoe to the media, b/c he was property of another team. But the next day he was released and we all know what happened next.

This post isnt' based on anything official that I've read, just personal observation...
Slade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

That's why I'm wondering why haven't there been any other signings... There have been some good players "released' i.e. Tennessee in the last few days... And no one is interested in those players? Sad
Battlelordz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a statement that we mean to get who we have our eyes set on. You should see the same when FA starts up next week......

Geez, can it get here any quicker? I'm frigin jonesin!
ParcellsIsGod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slade wrote:
That's why I'm wondering why haven't there been any other signings... There have been some good players "released' i.e. Tennessee in the last few days... And no one is interested in those players?

I think a lot of those Titan guys want to see what their values are on the OPEN market when everyone is ready. They're probably hoping for a bidding war. At Bledsoe's conference, a reporter asked him why he didn't wait a week to see what his value would be on the open market. Bledsoe probably could have gotten a lot more money if he waited for the free agency bidding frenzy to hit.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParcellsIsGod wrote:
OK, from what I udnerstand, when Bledsoe was RELEASED he then became elible to sign with another team. He's a free agent who is not property of any other team. That's why we were able to sign Woody Danzler, b/c he was released from Atlanta after an injury. If we release Roy Williams today, he could sign with another team right away. If another team wants to sign an unrestricted free agent like Vinny Testaverde, though, they'll have to wait until march 2nd (we could have signed him earlier, though, b/c we have first rights).

Jerry Jones wasn't even allowed to talk about Bledsoe to the media, b/c he was property of another team. But the next day he was released and we all know what happened next.

This post isnt' based on anything official that I've read, just personal observation...

Good post. That's my understanding as well. Not that I'm an expert or anything.

Another reason why you haven't seen teams sign players who have released is because many teams are still trying to get under the cap by March 2 or won't be under the cap until current contracts expire on March 1. As such, they have to wait for March 2 or cut more players. The Boys, meanwhile, are already well under the cap, so they could make the Bledsoe signing official sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how you guys are asking and that was answered today in Mick's Mail on cowboys.com. here's the question and answer

Could you please clarify to me how the Cowboys signed Bledsoe before March 2? I mean, if the March 2 date for the start of free agency means absolutely nothing, why don't we go sign Plaxico Burress or other players now before other teams get them? How does all of this work?

Mickey:Good question. Since Buffalo released Bledsoe, he became a free agent, no different than Willie Blade or Woody Dantzler. Burress is different. His contract is expiring, and technically in the NFL, players' contracts don't expire until the start of the league calendar year, which is March 2. Burress, technically still has a contract, but when the Bills cut Bledsoe on the first day they could, he no longer had a contract. Hope that makes sense.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's scary - I sound like Mick! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is off topic, but speaking of Mick, he;s always gotten blasted by fans because everyone thought he hated Quincy Carter. I didn't think that was true, but now I do. It seems as if he goes out of his way to talk about how bad a player and now a person he was. At this point and time it's unecessary. Just thought I'd bring that up.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: