Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFLN Top 10 QBs of the '90s
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was the QB of the '90s?
Brett Favre
36%
 36%  [ 35 ]
John Elway
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Troy Aikman
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
Steve Young
29%
 29%  [ 28 ]
Dan Marino
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Jim Kelly
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Warren Moon
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Drew Bledsoe
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Jeff George
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Randall Cunningham
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 96

FieldGeneral13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: NFLN Top 10 QBs of the '90s Reply with quote

NFLN recently aired a Top 10 Quarterbacks of the '90s special and their rankings were as follows:

1. Brett Favre
2. John Elway
3. Troy Aikman
4. Steve Young
5. Dan Marino
6. Jim Kelly
7. Warren Moon
8. Drew Bledsoe
9. Jeff George
10. Randall Cunningham

Agree or disagree?

Needless to say, I think there are some pretty egregious rankings there - particularly for Elway and Young. Elway at No. 2 is objectively unjustifiable, while Young at No. 4 is laughable. Favre and Young were the clear-cut Nos. 1 and 2 QBs of the decade - Favre was solidly No. 1, IMO, but you could definitely make a case for Young - and it was a considerable drop-off to Nos. 3-6 tier of Aikman, Marino, Kelly, and Elway in terms of decade productiveness/dominance.
fredsnotdeadyet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman won 3 Superbowls in the 90's, so I have to go with him as far as QB of the 90's.

Now if we are talking career then I would say another QB but for 90's i'm going to say Aikman.

props to Joe_is_the_best
Willink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Steve Young
2. Brett Favre
3. Dan Marino
4. John Elway
5. Troy Aikman
6. Jim Kelly
7. Warren Moon
8. Drew Bledsoe
9. Randall Cunningham
10. Mark Brunell

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
JMac79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
1. Steve Young
2. Brett Favre
3. Dan Marino
4. John Elway
5. Troy Aikman
6. Jim Kelly
7. Warren Moon
8. Drew Bledsoe
9. Randall Cunningham
10. Mark Brunell

I'd generally agree with this one, I think 1 and 2 (Favre and Young) could be somewhat interchangeable. Similarly, I think Aikman and Kelly might be able to be swapped as well; the Bills obviously had a great team, but I don't think they had nearly as much talent as the Cowboys, and it makes me wonder what Kelly could have done with similar weapons... if he would have been more productive than Troy.

In that regard, the most egregious error of the original list was Aikman at #2; yeah, he won 3 Superbowls, but he had a stacked team around him, and even then he had issues with winning games when Emmitt Smith wasn't running the ball (when he held out for a new contract).

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: NFLN Top 10 QBs of the '90s Reply with quote

FieldGeneral13 wrote:
NFLN recently aired a Top 10 Quarterbacks of the '90s special and their rankings were as follows:

1. Brett Favre
2. John Elway
3. Troy Aikman
4. Steve Young
5. Dan Marino
6. Jim Kelly
7. Warren Moon
8. Drew Bledsoe
9. Jeff George
10. Randall Cunningham

Agree or disagree?

Needless to say, I think there are some pretty egregious rankings there - particularly for Elway and Young. Elway at No. 2 is objectively unjustifiable, while Young at No. 4 is laughable. Favre and Young were the clear-cut Nos. 1 and 2 QBs of the decade - Favre was solidly No. 1, IMO, but you could definitely make a case for Young - and it was a considerable drop-off to Nos. 3-6 tier of Aikman, Marino, Kelly, and Elway in terms of decade productiveness/dominance.

I'd argue Young over Favre, but I do think that Young, despite a shortened career, had one of the greatest peaks of all time. Favre did as well, and he's just a step behind Young, if that far.

I'd go with Elway third. After him, Marino, even though I usually consider him to be more of an "80s" QB. His best years were in that decade. Kelly fifth. Aikman 6th. Moon 7th. After that, probably Cunningham, but after the top 7 it is rather interchangeable between the top guys.

J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
1. Steve Young
2. Brett Favre
3. Dan Marino
4. John Elway
5. Troy Aikman
6. Jim Kelly
7. Warren Moon
8. Drew Bledsoe
9. Randall Cunningham
10. Mark Brunell

I like it.

CK on the sig
DarrellGreen28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Brett Favre
2. Steve Young
3. Dan Marino
4. John Elway
5. Troy Aikman
6. Jim Kelly
7. Warren Moon
8. Drew Bledsoe
9. Randall Cunningham
10. Mark Brunell

Same as a poster above except he had steve at 1 and favre at 2
FieldGeneral13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NFLN Top 10 QBs of the '90s Reply with quote

Sandybaby716 wrote:

I'd argue Young over Favre, but I do think that Young, despite a shortened career, had one of the greatest peaks of all time. Favre did as well, and he's just a step behind Young, if that far.

I'd go with Elway third. After him, Marino, even though I usually consider him to be more of an "80s" QB. His best years were in that decade. Kelly fifth. Aikman 6th. Moon 7th. After that, probably Cunningham, but after the top 7 it is rather interchangeable between the top guys.

Young over Favre is certainly a defendable position from an efficiency stat standpoint. Both were machines during their peak. Still, I'd argue there are several factors that, IMO, give Favre a discernible edge.

Supporting Cast - Young had a lot more and better offensive weapons (Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Ricky Watters, Terrell Owens, Garrison Hearst) than Favre (Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Don Beebe, Mark Chmura, Edgar Bennett). Robert Brooks and Dorsey Levens were both headed to promising careers, but because of injuries they only played with Favre for a brief period of time and their impact was limited.

Weather - Favre played in crappy weather; Young played in very favorable conditions.

Head-to-Head - Favre owned Young head-to-head. Three straight seasons the Packers eliminated the 49ers in the playoffs, despite the teams being at least evenly matched and the Niners having HFA in two of the games.

Green Bay's convincing win in the '95 Divisional at Candlestick was a huge upset, as the Niners had the league's top ranked offense and defense (#1 in PPG, #2 in YPG, #2 in PAPG, #1 in YAPG) and everyone believed a third annual Dallas-SF NFCCG was a mere formality. Favre was flawless in the game (21-28, 299, 2 TD); Young was terrible (32 of 65, 308 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT).

They met again at Lambeau for the Divisional Playoff the following season, with Green Bay ripping San Francisco 35-14 in miserable rain-and-mud conditions. Favre managed the game as well as could be expected (11-15, 79 yards, 1 TD); Young was knocked out early (2-5, 8 yards).

The two teams played the following season for the Conference Championship at Candlestick. Again, the Packers won easily, 23-10, and Favre (16-27, 222, 1 TD) outplayed Young (23-38, 250, 1 INT).

The Niners finally beat the Pack in the Wild Card Playoff at The Stick the next season, 30-27, on the famous last-second TD pass to Terrell Owens, though again Favre (20-35, 292, 2 TD, 2 INT) outplayed Young (18-32, 182, 3 TD, 2 INT).

These are the cumulative stats for Favre and Young in the 5 games they started against each other (includes '98 regular season game won by GB):

Favre: 83-133 (62.4%), 1171 yards, 9 TD, 5 INT, 97.66 QBR, 4 W, 1 L
Young: 99-179 (55.3%), 954 yards, 4 TD, 6 INT, 63.86 QBR, 1 W, 4 L

I don't think there's any doubt Favre and Young were the two best of the decade, but the factors I outlined above, along with Favre's advantage in MVPs (which I think is a good reflection of the general inferiority of his supporting offensive cast compared to Young's and thus his greater value) and Super Bowl appearances, IMO give Favre the strongest claim to "Best QB of the '90s."

Sandybaby716 wrote:

After him, Marino, even though I usually consider him to be more of an "80s" QB. His best years were in that decade.

Agreed. Marino was still an elite QB in the '90s, but his best, dominant years were in the '80s. Marino and Montana were the "QBs of the '80s"; Favre and Young the "QBs of the '90s."
TD_Tommie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favre is #1 for me.
bluecheese555

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Vinny Testaverde? He was certainly better than George and Cunningham, who was only a full-time starter 4 seasons in the '90s.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Brett Favre
2. Steve Young
3. John Elway
4. Dan Marino
5. Troy Aikman
6. Jim Kelly
7. Warren Moon
8. Vinny Testaverde
9. Drew Bledsoe
10. Randall Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: NFLN Top 10 QBs of the '90s Reply with quote

FieldGeneral13 wrote:
Weather - Favre played in crappy weather; Young played in very favorable conditions.

I wouldn't say that Candlestick Park is very conducive to throwing the ball.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Favre was the right choice for #1. LOL at Jeff George being #9, he belongs no where near a top 10 QB list of any decade.
titwio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD_Tommie wrote:
Favre is #1 for me.

I agree. Brett was the best QB in the 90's IMO with Steve Young second.
seminoles1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Young was a better QB than Favre, so I think he should have been #1. Having him #4 is a travesty.

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift-Steve Prefontaine

The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: