You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How Rodgers+, compare to QBs in the late 80s, early 90s

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are Quarterbacks Better Today Than 20 Years Ago?
Yes, much better
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
It's the same level of professional athletics
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, worse
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

x0x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: How Rodgers+, compare to QBs in the late 80s, early 90s Reply with quote

From another thread:

GaTechRavens wrote:
x0x wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
x0x wrote:

Boomer and Rypien though, especially Boomer, no. Esiason was an exception QB, if you were back in 1989, you'd think different.

Now I wasn't really watching in 1989, but Boomer was pretty elite in the 90s, some people thought when he went to the Jets he was going to make a comeback and win another ring or two.

Don't be so shortsighted.

Boomer never came close to dominating at the level Rodgers is playing at now, nor did he have the consistent greatness Rodgers has already displayed.

Seriously? Rodgers has been good the past three seasons and great in 2011. Please don't hammer yourself in by discounting Boomer, Everett gets forgotten too but 88 & 89 were monster seasons.

Seriously?

Rodgers is having of the most dominant seasons of all time - and if it ends in a Super Bowl win, many people are going to call it THE greatest. Boomer never did that - not even close. He won an MVP one year but never played at such an obscene level. Rodgers has also had four great (not good, great) years in a row. Boomer never did that, and in fact consistently declined after the late 1980s to the point where the Bengals replaced him with David Klingler. I wouldn't anticipate that happening to Rodgers.

I feel that QBs like Jim Everett, Boomer Esiason and Dave Krieg, can be compared to potential Hall of Fame QBs right now.

Not like Brees or Brady who are Hall of Famers, but talking about past QBs who were on track to Canton or have great seasons.

I think personally we can compare peer numbers and find some correlations towards "dominance" and "top level" production.

To start, I'll put up Jim Everett as an example:

From 88-89, he put up some big numbers that compared like so
1988-1st in TDs, 2nd in Yards, 4th in Pass%, 3rd in TD%, 10th in INT%, 4th in Rating
1989-1st in TDs, 2nd in Yards, 9th in Pass%, 4th in TD%, 9th in INT%, 3rd in Rating

Now in 1990 with his team losing more often his numbers slid
1990-5th in TDs, 2nd in Yards, 15th in Pass%, 13th in TD%, 11th in INT%, 12th in Rating

What's interesting is that Montana's 1990 League MVP season came with quite similar bulk numbers as Everett, including YPA. However Montana had a higher completion percentage and won 14 games.

Now Everett didn't actually disappear, he simply lacked good teams to work with after the late 80s Rams, he had one more good year in 95:

6th in TDs, 5th in Yards, 9th in Pass%, 8th in TD%, 8th in INT%, 11th in Rating

Now this isn't really to prop up Everett but to showcase the gaps a little, at one point, Everett was a premier QB.

I thought about looking at the rankings of Rodgers' 2011 season, I'll do bulk stats and percentage stats:

1st in TDs, 3rd in Yards, 2nd in INTs, 5th in Completions, 13th in Sacks

2nd in Pass%, 1st in TD%, 1st in INT% (Tied), 1st in Rating, 1st in YPA, 3rd in YPC

No doubt impressive.

The common factors are gaps between peers, for Everett the big gaps were Marino and Montana in yards and percentages.

For Rodgers in previous seasons and now, it has been Brady and Brees.

But I don't want to stretch this first post too much, I'm just going to post Rodgers' rankings of last season:

5th in TDs, 7th in Yards, 5th in Pass%, 4th in TD%, 7th in INT%, 3rd in Rating

In that same token, here were Schaub's numbers:

9th in TDs, 4th in Yards, 7th in Pass%, 13th in TD%, 6th in INT%, 9th in Rating

The disparity in TDs accounts for the higher rating. But it goes to show winning is still the deciding factor between elite status and just a good/average QB.

What I want to do is make some 5 or so year timelines and put up the margins of certain QBs head to head.

Let's see how QBs like Elway and Marino come out statistically against QBs like Krieg and Everett.
Willink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Everett even in his time with the Rams never demonstrated the game-to-game consistency Rodgers has having watched both of them. For a time there he was definitely an upper-echelon quarterback on those Rams teams but I always thought of him as a Schaub-like QB more so than an "elite" QB. Krieg is in the same boat (and tbh I thought his coaching staffs at times didn't give him the opportunities he deserved), and like Everett he also had an influx of talented skill players like Largent, Warren, and Blades around him. Krieg could outplay Elway and then next week play like Tavaris Jackson.

I was going to make a post about Esiason in the other thread as I actually know him personally, but even if you take his first four "good" seasons he finishes in the top ten in passing categories less often than Rodgers has in the same span. Esiason during his prime was one of the best QB's in the NFL, but even his MVP season is dwarfed by what Rodgers current pace is. Over his last 27 games he has 70 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
x0x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
Jim Everett even in his time with the Rams never demonstrated the game-to-game consistency Rodgers has having watched both of them. For a time there he was definitely an upper-echelon quarterback on those Rams teams but I always thought of him as a Schaub-like QB more so than an "elite" QB. Krieg is in the same boat (and tbh I thought his coaching staffs at times didn't give him the opportunities he deserved), and like Everett he also had an influx of talented skill players like Largent, Warren, and Blades around him. Krieg could outplay Elway and then next week play like Tavaris Jackson.

That's very nice insight Wilink. I've gotten some mixed responses from my father on Everett, he doesn't remember much of him and the same goes for Krieg. To him they were I guess like Romo and Eli now, if they had won a Championship they get automatic recognition but they didn't. Both came close with Conference Championships.

Their careers remind me a lot of Mark Brunell. Just one Super Bowl season changes their whole career.

Quote:
I was going to make a post about Esiason in the other thread as I actually know him personally, but even if you take his first four "good" seasons he finishes in the top ten in passing categories less often than Rodgers has in the same span. Esiason during his prime was one of the best QB's in the NFL, but even his MVP season is dwarfed by what Rodgers current pace is. Over his last 27 games he has 70 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

How do you know him?

I'm a little confused by your call on his numbers, you can't say 70 TDs and 10 INTs is in the same context of the late 80s. Literally every time I look at those seasons it's Montana and one other QB who was a game manager that year, like Chris Miller or somebody like that, every other QB is pretty far out in INTs.

Montana's numbers are also to be held in context, that West Coast offense was only perfected in San Francisco and they had the perfect guys to run it like Craig.

Point being Rodgers in 2011 is huge, obviously, but how would you take his numbers from 08-10 and compare that to Esiason? Remember now Esiason had a much better run game unlike Rodgers.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: