Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers vs Ravens...Round 1...FIGHT!!! (Gameday thread)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Steelers vs Ravens...Round 1...FIGHT!!! (Gameday thread) Reply with quote

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
-Vince Lonbardi

Sunday, September 11th, 2011 - M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, MD - 1PM EST
http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=PIT
http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=BAL

Ten Random Thoughts About the Game

1. Why NFL...WHY?

Why make the best rivalrly game in football a season opener? The teams aren’t in full stride and while the game is far from meaningless, the first game of this series should not be played until at least a month in IMO. But even more bothersome is the fact that the game is at 1 PM. Are Oakland vs Denver, New England vs Miami and even New York vs Dallas more entertaining games?

Not a huge deal, but I feel it was a poor decision.

2. Thank you sir, may I have another?

This just in...the Steelers OLine is awful. In the divisional round this past January, Terrell Suggs absolutely destroyed Jon Scott, and I don’t see it being much different this time, regardless of who is starting at LT for us. Willie Colon has always struggled against the Ravens in every facet of the game. Flo wasn’t great either, but at least he generated some decent push and was better equipped to handle the Ravens massive 3-4 front. Pouncey looked decent at times last year against Ngata, and looked completely outmatched as times as well. I expect the same in this contest, but ultimately expect the Ravens to control the line. Even if Pouncey plays well, we still have Chris “Who me block?” Kemoeatu, and Doug Legrusky, who is a glorified backup starting at RG…just as all our RGs have been in recent memory,

ON THE OTHER HAND….the Ravens OLine isn’t much better…at least not at the ends. If James Harrison is truly healthy, he will punsh McKinnie all game long. McKinnie has a nice first punch but doesn’t offer much more beyond that, at least not enough to contain Silverback. And if Harrison is beating him consistently in the first half, watch for McKinnie to give half a$$ed effort in the 2nd. Mike Oher….I like his story. He is a solid player and would be an upgrade for us easily. BUT, he is not nearly as good as hyped., even at RT. If Lamarr Woodley is anywhere near worth what he just got paid, he will have success against Oher. Not saying he has to dominate, but Woodley needs to show consistency as a pass rusher from the season opener to the end of the season…something he has yet to do in his career. Matt Birk is a shell of his former self and will be handled. The Ravens do have a nice set of guards in Grubbs and Yanda, but as always, the Steelers shouldn’t have an issue controlling the line either.

3. Lee Evans: Difference Maker?

The Ravens lost two proven Steeler killers in Todd Heap and Derrick Mason, and while that makes me happy, I do worry about their newest acquired weapon in Lee Evans. Evans is excellent at getting open down the field, and will allow Flacco more oppurtunities this year to challenge us deep. Not sure he will be the cosnsitent Steeler killer the other two were, but he could have a huge impact on this game…both directly and indirectly.

Of course…this all depends on Flacco’s line giving him time.

4: What can Brown do for you?

While the Ravens have Evans, I expect Brown to be our X-Factor. I think the Ravens can handle Ward for the most part, and with their inexperience at CB, I expect them to have to double Wallace and keep a safety over the top for help all game. That will leave Brown one on one most of the game with the Ravens nickel CB….which I expect to be Dominque Foxworth, but im not sure. Whoever it is, I expect it to be a mismatch, and if Ben and Brown get hot early, I expect some chances to open up for both Ward and Wallace downfield, and well as Heath Miller.

Of course….this all depends on Ben’s line giving him time.

5: Issac Redman...mo iz betta?

I don’t think anyone can argue that Redman deserves more touches. Not saying he should be splitting the carries 50/50 with Mendy, but I think Redman should get 10 touches a game between the passing and running game, especially in a game like this. Mendenhall is a more dynamic player, but Redman is more decisive and a downhill runner, and IMO, has a better chance of success vs the Ravens. Obviously, Im in no position to make decisions, and I could be wrong, but I would personally split the carries 50/50 for this game, especially if Mendy looks like he is struggling early on.

6: Will the real James Harrison please stand up?

We all know the impact Harrison can have on the game, but with his back injuries, its hard to say if we will ever see the James Harrison of old again. There were times last year in the regular season he was notably quiet, which is why I take a little more out of his preseason performance than I normally would. Preseason is almost impossible to gauge in this case, because Harrison could very well just be phoning it in, but it’s a question to consider nonetheless. Even if he never gets back to that old level, he should still be very effective. I'm just hoping he still has one or two more top seasons in him, and if his back is 100%, I believe he does.

7: Big Ben: 3.0?

Some may ask…what was Big Ben 1.0 and Big Ben 2.0? Big Ben 1.0 was the young, game managing player we enjoyed as a rookie and 2nd year player. Big Ben 2.0 was the SB winning franchise QB that proved he could lead this team anywhere, but a huge ego came with it. So what is Big Ben 3.0? Its an upgrade of his on field persona as well as off. With the weapons we have this year and the real possibility of opening things up more, I could see Ben posting stats that are similar to all the other top statistical QBs. Ben is always efficient, but this could be the year he shuts some people up from the statistical standpoint. And his off field demeanor continues to improve drastically. He seems more mature in the manner he speaks and he seems to be staying out of the off field spotlight…which he needs to due for the remainder of his career in Pittsburgh.

Anyway you look at it, I see Ben making another leap this year.

8: Grumpy Old Men?

Ray Lewis and James Farrior represent two of the most consistent interior LB forces in the NFL over the last decade. Both are captains and leaders of two of the best defenses year in and year out. Farrior isn’t as historically good as Lewis, but he is sorely underrated and our defense wouldn’t have been what it has been without him there.

The question is begged though…at 36 years old, how much fuel do these guys have left? Every year people say “well, they are bound to decline soon”, but it has yet to happen. Both continue to keep playing at a very high level, but it doesn't last forever. In football years, these guys are in their twilight years and are just waiting for the inevitable. Whoever starts showing their chinks in their armor first could be a very impactful event that ultimately decides who wins this division.

Or both continue to defy mother nature for another season…or two…or three….

9: Terrell Suggs: Ugliest man ever?

Suggs is an awesome football player, and football players aren’t hired for their looks (except Brady Quinn and his free Myoplex). But Suggs needs to keep his helmet on….on and off the field. Maybe not the ugliest MAN ever, but he is up there with Marshawn Lynch and the McQuistan Bros. as on the of the ugliest currently in the league. But, when you are as good as he is and make the money he does…who cares?

Still Terrell, keep your helmet on…for real.

10: Do I really need a reason?

To counter the epic uglitude that Suggs brings to this thread, here are some slammin hotties….has to be done…

…Like I said….did I need a reason? Cool

Game Prediction
Hard to really predict anything about these games. Even when one team has a seeming disadvantage due to injuries and whatnot, the games always come out close. I think the game could easily go either way, and maybe this a slight homer pick since neither team gives much else to the other, but I say the Black and Gold take game one. I just feel we were strong in preseason, and while that doesn’t mean a lot, we are a team that actually is BETTER in the regular season. So, as long as Ben is upright all game, I predict a close win from our boys.

Steelers 23
Ravens 17

Have a good week gents, and GO STEELERS!!!!

43M

Its also important to note that the game is being played September 11th, on the 10 year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Please keep this in mind and keep your perspective, and realize that while we all love football and the Steelers, that in the end this is just a game....one we are fortunate enough to enjoy every year.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
SteelTom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread dude.

But the most important question of all, who is that first hottie? Shocked

Jamison on the sig!
armsteeld

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done..nice start for a fantastic football season Very Happy

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky

Last edited by armsteeld on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince LONbardi, eh brother? Cool

In all seriousness, what a beautiful way to start out this season. Epic GDT is Epic.

This is going to be one awesome weekend for me.... Can't wait!
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread 43...

Might want to remove/replace the pic of the 2nd girl tho... a little too racey IMO.

But great job, great write-up.

Nice addition...
Quote:
Its also important to note that the game is being played September 11th, on the 10 year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Please keep this in mind and keep your perspective, and realize that while we all love football and the Steelers, that in the end this is just a game....one we are fortunate enough to enjoy every year.

Class act!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
stefan52268

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread.

I have to agree the schedule makers dropped the ball on making this game week 1 and not prime time!

Sunday will just not come quick enough! Very Happy

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
greene91fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelTom wrote:
Great thread dude.

My Girlfriend! Laughing Laughing

Way to kick off the season 43! Nice job.

Thanks Lysar529 for the sig!

"Arguing with some people is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. The more you do it, the more you realize the pig is enjoying it."
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta edit that Lombardi misspelling.

Agree very much about Redman, would love to see him get a chance to grind this one out.
I think we go up big and hold them off late. Perhaps your score will be right, but I think we break away for a bit and they make an attempt to come back.

I have a feeling Saunders might get a chance in the red zone.

...you have a forum resume?
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to a hard-fought game this Sunday, gentlemen. This game will certainly dictate the overall feeling for each team for the rest of the season, IMO. The loser will be chasing from behind all year, while the winner will basically just not need to screw it up.

I love these weeks Smile

PSA: If your 2015 mock has the Ravens taking a RB in round 1, you're doing it wrong.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Looking forward to a hard-fought game this Sunday, gentlemen. This game will certainly dictate the overall feeling for each team for the rest of the season, IMO. The loser will be chasing from behind all year, while the winner will basically just not need to screw it up.

I love these weeks Smile

I wouldnt go that far. You make it sound like the division is riding on week one.

Its not like the winner goes up in the division by 3 games. One week can draw them even again, and if the other team wins the 2nd game, then the tables are turned.

I agree that this could set a tone going forward, but as I said...given that neither team has really gotten into stride yet, and there will be 15 games left to be played, game one wont decide anything by a long shot. Dont get me wrong...its important for both teams, but one game this early isnt going to give either team a remarkable advantage, especially since they play again.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
nevermore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect more of the same. I.e. the Ravens losing after having the lead for most of the 4th quarter.

SteelTom wrote:

Sandra Valencia.

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

I love these weeks Smile

I wouldnt go that far. You make it sound like the division is riding on week one.

Its not like the winner goes up in the division by 3 games. One week can draw them even again, and if the other team wins the 2nd game, then the tables are turned.

I agree that this could set a tone going forward, but as I said...given that neither team has really gotten into stride yet, and there will be 15 games left to be played, game one wont decide anything by a long shot. Dont get me wrong...its important for both teams, but one game this early isnt going to give either team a remarkable advantage, especially since they play again.

I certainly didn't mean to make it seem like I was implying this is a make or break kind of game, but more that I believe it will, like you said, set a tone for the season. The winner of this game essentially gains a game and a half on the other, as they will hold a game lead as well as the head to head advantage. It will most certainly put pressure on the loser to win the 2nd game of the season.

PSA: If your 2015 mock has the Ravens taking a RB in round 1, you're doing it wrong.
kmvoss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the effort put into the thread. I can't wait.

I got a pretty good laugh from the point about Suggs.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers offense is going to be something I want to keep a close eye on. The Steelers have so many big play targets this year and I'm interested to see who sits and who stays on the field. This could be that Big Ben quiets some of his critics with a big year and it starts against a team he's faired well against the past few seasons.

Also who is the Ravens #3 WR? Who ever it is will have to have a big impact for the Ravens. Lee Evans and Boldin I feel will get there fair share, but I feel it's the #3 that could decide the game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. Nuff said.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 1 of 29

Jump to: