Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Willie Gay's Last Game? Steelers vs Panthers GDT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Willie Gay's Last Game? Steelers vs Panthers GDT Reply with quote

I have a dream! That after Thursday, William Gay will be cut.....

vs.

Thursday, September 1 @ 8 P.M. EST

This Week In Steelers News
(Credit : www.Steelers.com )

The Steelers placed one player on their Reserve/Injured List and released five others, reducing their roster to 84 players. The team needs to release four more players before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline to get their roster to the league-mandated 80 players.

Rookie running back Baron Batch was placed on the team’s Reserve/Injured List after suffering a season-ending knee injury in training camp. Batch was the team’s seventh-round draft pick in this past year’s NFL Draft.

The five players released include tight end Vaughn Charlton, cornerback Kevin Dockery, wide receiver Eric Greenwood, wide receiver Kenneth Moore and tight end Miguel Chavis, who was waived/injured.

What To Watch For This Thursday

Arrow Starting NT. No news has been mentioned about the injury Casey Hampton suffered in Saturday's win over the Atlanta Falcons. Will we see Ziggy Hood getting reps at the NT spot with the top defense?

Arrow O-Line Woes. If the issues with the line weren't already enough, Maurkice Pouncey now has sustained an injury to the same ankle that kept him out of the Super Bowl. Can the offensive line (at least, what's left of it....) overcome adversity and use the last game of the pre-season as a prep game for the season opener against Baltimore?

Arrow Down Town Brown. (Hey, it's got a nice ring to it.) Will we continue to see more first team reps for Brown? Can he continue to produce? Is he who we hope he is?

Arrow It's due or die for some Steelers. The roster will need to be downsized to NFL opening gameday roster size following this game. Who makes the cut? Who gets a chance on the practice squad? And who ends up being buried next to Mitch Berger in FourThreeMafia's garbage cans? For well-known college stars such as John Clay, Wesley Saunders and Donavan Warren, Thursday is their last time to shine if they want a contract in the next 2 weeks. Let's hope some of these guys can get their acts together and gain a spot on the roster.

Arrow Last but not least, let's hope this happens several times Thursday....

So William Gay can be handed one of these on Friday......

GO STEELERS!
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Willie Gay's Last Game? Steelers vs Panthers GDT Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I have a dream! That after Thursday, William Gay will be cut.....

vs.

Thursday, September 1 @ 8 P.M. EST

This Week In Steelers News
(Credit : www.Steelers.com )

The Steelers placed one player on their Reserve/Injured List and released five others, reducing their roster to 84 players. The team needs to release four more players before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline to get their roster to the league-mandated 80 players.

Rookie running back Baron Batch was placed on the team’s Reserve/Injured List after suffering a season-ending knee injury in training camp. Batch was the team’s seventh-round draft pick in this past year’s NFL Draft.

The five players released include tight end Vaughn Charlton, cornerback Kevin Dockery, wide receiver Eric Greenwood, wide receiver Kenneth Moore and tight end Miguel Chavis, who was waived/injured.

What To Watch For This Thursday

Arrow Starting NT. No news has been mentioned about the injury Casey Hampton suffered in Saturday's win over the Atlanta Falcons. Will we see Ziggy Hood getting reps at the NT spot with the top defense?

Arrow O-Line Woes. If the issues with the line weren't already enough, Maurkice Pouncey now has sustained an injury to the same ankle that kept him out of the Super Bowl. Can the offensive line (at least, what's left of it....) overcome adversity and use the last game of the pre-season as a prep game for the season opener against Baltimore?

Arrow Down Town Brown. (Hey, it's got a nice ring to it.) Will we continue to see more first team reps for Brown? Can he continue to produce? Is he who we hope he is?

Arrow It's due or die for some Steelers. The roster will need to be downsized to NFL opening gameday roster size following this game. Who makes the cut? Who gets a chance on the practice squad? And who ends up being buried next to Mitch Berger in FourThreeMafia's garbage cans? For well-known college stars such as John Clay, Wesley Saunders and Donavan Warren, Thursday is their last time to shine if they want a contract in the next 2 weeks. Let's hope some of these guys can get their acts together and gain a spot on the roster.

Arrow Last but not least, let's hope this happens several times Thursday....

So William Gay can be handed one of these on Friday......

GO STEELERS!

Nice thread and pics to go with it.

No Hood at NT, better not. NT isn't something a player just does. It is a position that requires years of training, so let Gray get the start and see what he has for the PS spot. Hoke will be back, but might as well see what Gray can do.

Your friend Willie - better be gone. Seems like gifts were thrown at the CB's as a helper to get rid of Willie. Nice pink slip btw.

The OL will plug in Legursky, so they will be ok. I want to see Gilbert win LT, another gift. I prefer Scott for backup. Too bad Flo isn't back, but once again injuries could allow that to happen.

Down Town Brown (DTB) but probably TD-Brown is for real. Look at his workout regime vs Starks. This guy will be one of the best in a few years if his QB isn't throwing from a wheelchair or witness stand. If only the other players were like this?
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think so. Gay fits in as the 3rd CB well. They just need to not play any CBs for this game and they will be safe. The question will be who to keep with C. Allen, C. Butler, K. Lewis, C. Brown and Warren.

Even if they keep 10 DBs
Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden, William Gay, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy, Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown,Crezdon Butler

Could they keep more? not likely.

Cortez Allen will be PS material I think. He has not been able to make it to the field because of injuries. Curtis Brown just will not be cut even though he has shown nothing but he is a 3rd round pick.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
steelerrocker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet would be that they'd go with Hoke over Hood at NT. If Hampton actually missed games in the season they'd probably rotate them, but I expect him to be ready week 1.
blitzburgh9256

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Hoke will be ready at NT. But this is a clear sign that NT has to be THE number one priority in the draft next year. Of course taking BPA in mind. Hampton will be done in 2-3 years. If we can get a quality first rounder I would be excited for our dline future.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blitzburgh9256 wrote:
I agree that Hoke will be ready at NT. But this is a clear sign that NT has to be THE number one priority in the draft next year. Of course taking BPA in mind. Hampton will be done in 2-3 years. If we can get a quality first rounder I would be excited for our dline future.

It had better not be because there is crap for NTs coming out next year. Gray is my lead-pipe lock for the practice squad

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
blitzburgh9256 wrote:

It had better not be because there is crap for NTs coming out next year. Gray is my lead-pipe lock for the practice squad

If they spend another 1st on a DL, Im gonna shoot somebody.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
gatek99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slight off topic, but it has to do with cuts.

How much do they players get paid to be a part of a training camp roster? Do they get paid weekly? daily? how much?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is weekly - 12 years ago it was 1,500 a week.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lambert wrote:
It is weekly - 12 years ago it was 1,500 a week.

Did you get one? Seriously.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Lambert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend that I played with did.
Gunny Highway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Gray get a bunch of reps to see if he has what he needs to contribute in the future then stash him on PS. I'd also like to see Brett Greenwood make the PS for further development.
blitzburgh9256

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say this if we don't take a NT in the first 2 rounds of this coming draft or the year after I'm going to be scared. I like Gray quite a bit while we talked about draft prospects last year, but for him to be the most important position player on the dline.....not liking that. A good reload at DE with Hood and Heyward ( yes, i know to early to tell), but NT needs to be filled with somebody who is capable of being a leader who can take up 2-3 blockers and still make the tackle.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blitzburgh9256 wrote:
Let me say this if we don't take a NT in the first 2 rounds of this coming draft or the year after I'm going to be scared. I like Gray quite a bit while we talked about draft prospects last year, but for him to be the most important position player on the dline.....not liking that. A good reload at DE with Hood and Heyward ( yes, i know to early to tell), but NT needs to be filled with somebody who is capable of being a leader who can take up 2-3 blockers and still make the tackle.

Be prepared to be scared then

SteelCityYaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Center Maurkice Pouncey said that his injured ankle is painful but will not keep him from missing the opener on September 11th vs. the Baltimore Ravens. Pouncey acknowledged that it was the same injury/ankle that caused him to miss the Super Bowl.

It appears as though cornerback Keenan Lewis won’t miss any time after injuring his knee Saturday night. Lewis diagnosed his injury as tendonitis in the knee and expects to be ready for the Ravens. In fact, Lewis took part in practice today along with cornerback Bryant McFadden (hamstring).

Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) was a limited participant in practice while Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring) was forced to sit. Both players hope to play Thursday night vs. Carolina.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/08/29/pouncey-ok-steeler-injury-updates/

Jack Lambert ~Greatest MLB Ever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: