Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: RB Reply with quote

I was reading something ClevelanDawg wrote on another board, and read a link he put up, and now I'm convinced. We need to draft Ronnie Brown.

If DJ is gone, Brown is the BPA. Maybe even if he isn't gone. He is ideal for us.

Team guy -- came back for Senior season, even though he knew he wouldn't get the carries, just to help the team win (worked out well, Auburn went undefeated).

Excellent size -- near 230 with room to add more, to compete in the division of big backs (Jamal, Rudi, Jerome/Duce).

Great hands -- not saying much for Auburn's WRs, but coaches said he had the best hands on the team.

Blocks well -- played FB (well) and excelled in pass protection/blitz pickup.

Limited mileage -- unlike other backs entering the draft, he was not the workhorse of his offense (like Benson) or injured (Caddilac), giving him the freshest legs in the draft.

Depending on the combine, I would take him over DJ. Then we could ship Green out for some late picks to get linebackers.

Got to get working on a new dream draft.
ForeverCleveland08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks, BPA after DJ wouldnt be Brown, we dont need a HB, im confident in Suggs and i dont want green anymore. I would pick up Sproles as a back up and a returner then get another HB with the picks we'd get if we traded Green which hopefuly we will. Thats whats Up
duke2056

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting a RB helps us little to none this year. Bad, bad idea. We need defense or O-line, preferably defense with the 3rd pick.
If we draft RB, look for 2-14
docc2183

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind Brown, I guess, but he'd have to to turn some heads in workouts. Certainly not a need, per se, but I think he's an upgrade and certainly a better fit for what we're gonna be trying to do. Still rooting for DJ or a trade down. Maybe Minnesota will fall in love with Mike Williams and want to trade up to get him now. Who knows. Brown is far-fetched, but if he's our guy, expect him to be something special.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If we draft RB, look for 2-14

I wonder if that's what Ravens fans though when they drafted Jamal Lewis when Priest Holmes was on the roster. Or Saints fans when Deuce McCallister was picked when Ricky Williams was the man. That's the thing about BPA. It does not matter who is on the roster. You take the player who makes your team better.

Think about this. We play in a division of big backs. Can't deny that. Neither Suggs nor Green weigh more than 215. Running the ball wins games, and to do that in this division you need a big back. Suggs will still get plenty of PT (look at what Kevin Faulk does for NE). But we need a bruiser to make everything work. Running game eats up clock and makes the defense better by having them on the field less. Running game sets up big plays in play action, the thing Romeo said he wanted to do. We could trade Green for a late (4th rd i would hope) pick, and get a linebacker with that pick. That would be a good spot for a little experiment I think should be conducted. We should see if Simon Fraser is the next Mike Vrabel.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we got DJ. There will be what if's no matter what happens. I just think we'd be missing out on something really special with Brown.
ForeverCleveland08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Duke, next years gonna prepare us for a playoff run in 06, We need not worry about getting a "Bruiser" this year, we need to worry about filling in gaps with the best players available. Like Savage said, hes not worrying about getting a Big Stars or 2. And if he meant it for the FA im sure it'll be the same for the draft. Im also not saying that DJ wont be a big star but we need LBs and DJ will fill in nicely, so would Darryl Blackstock. Thats Whats Up
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForeverCleveland08 wrote:
Like Savage said, hes not worrying about getting a Big Stars or 2. And if he meant it for the FA im sure it'll be the same for the draft.

Sorry, but that's wrong. In the Savage plan, you fill your holes in FA and get Pro Bowlers in the draft. I trust him to make the right pick.

Whether it's DJ or RB or ARolle or a trade down or whatever, it's going to be the best possible option to make this team better. That's all we can ask as fans.

I'm just presenting a possibility. As unpopular as it may be, you have to admit RB would make this team better. Just in a different way that DJ would.

As far as the "P" word goes, 06 might be a bit soon. I've got another "P" word for you. Patience. It might take more than 2 years to get this ship turned around and up to speed. Just take solace in the fact that we'll never be that bad again.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to show you I'm not totally out there:

Pete Prisco of NFL.com writes:

"Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn: He is a big, fast back who is stronger than Williams, but doesn't have Williams' elusiveness. Compared to Jamal Lewis by some scouts."

Runs like Jamal Lewis. Blocks like a fullback. Catches like a WR. Team first attitude. Seems like a great pick to me.

Pete goes on, much later in the list:

"Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas: He's ranked higher than this on most boards, but the feeling here is that he doesn't play as well as his reputation. He's tall and rangy, but I've seen him run around blocks. That's not a good thing. "

Good guy. Fantastic athleticism. Good coverage ability.

Not quite a toss up in my mind. Personally, I give the edge to Brown.
ForeverCleveland08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, dont think so. In 06 we'll make it to the playoffs, not saying that we'll win any of the playoff games but im just saying that we'll make it there. And as far as patience goes i like every other true Browns fan has plenty of it. I have up until now and will until the day i no longer need it.
ForeverCleveland08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit Brown is a great HB but i feel as if we need DJ more. Thats Whats Up
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when our 2 running backs ran for over 100 yards against a SUPER BOWL TEAM that meant nothing? That's confusing... When we put Terrelle Smith in, both running backs sprung for so much yardage against a great defense... If we get our O-line established (which should be our main concern) we will have our rushing game... It's too bad that you guys have already lost faith in our RB's... .shoot, James Jackson ran well in that game... Why would we want to get a position that we already have good players in, when we have so many other needs? doesnt make sense to me...
duke2056

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditchdigger, you're a moron. If the Browns draft a RB at 3, or even if they trade down ang get one, I will send you a check for 100 bucks, I am dead serious. I just pray the Browns are not as clueless as you as to how to draft.
As for your Deuce Mcalister and Jamal Lewis comment: 1) Holmes and Williams were traded for value, ain't no one trading for Suggs or Green. 2) Jesus Christ couldn't run behind our line. 3) We badly need a linebacker or corner (good corner I might add). 4) Ronnie Brown being compared to Jamal Lewis DOESN'T make him Jamal Lewis. here's a nice example like the one's you made for us earlier: Remeber when Ryan Leaf was compared to Brett Favre???? You can't compare ANYONE to ANYONE else, cause ya never know if ANY player coming out will 100% for sure be a good player.

I am no longer a Browns fan if they draft a RB, period
Buckscorner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: 26.5 % of Browns fans want Clarett c&p from Bernies Insi Reply with quote

If the Browns draft a running back this April, I hope it's...

This is from Bernies Insiders

Cedric Benson, Texas 35.7 %
Maurice Clarett, Ohio State 26.5 %
Cadillac Williams, Auburn 21.9 %
Ronnie Brown, Auburn 11.6 %
Frank Gore, Miami 4.3 %
ForeverCleveland08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, we dont need a HB, i have alot of confidence in Suggs and even if we keep Green i wont be to upset. Thats Whats Up
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to re-post my comment....

So when our 2 running backs ran for over 100 yards against a SUPER BOWL TEAM that meant nothing? That's confusing... When we put Terrelle Smith in, both running backs sprung for so much yardage against a great defense... If we get our O-line established (which should be our main concern) we will have our rushing game... It's too bad that you guys have already lost faith in our RB's... .shoot, James Jackson ran well in that game... Why would we want to get a position that we already have good players in, when we have so many other needs? doesnt make sense to me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: