Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kevin Burnett

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patsfan01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Kevin Burnett Reply with quote

CaN somebody tell me a little about Kevin burnett and dowe have a chance at getting him?

I've heard all very good things on him and from what i have heard, wouldn't mind him in a Patriots uniform.
RD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be able to have a shot at him with our first rounder, but after workouts, who knows.

He is a great athlete, with great speed. He could really impress in workouts and move up in the draft. After Derrick Johnson, there is no set linebacker to be taken next.

Burnett is great in coverage, and can make plays all ovre the field. Im not sure how he fits in the 34, because he isnt the greatest at taking on blockers from an inside position. Outside, he'll be turned on the passer more often, which limits his strength, is cover ability.

He's a very good prospect, but probably fits the 43 better. We'd have to pack on some weight to his frame to play inside.
Patsfan01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Kevin Burnett Reply with quote

Which linebacker best fits the Patriots?
RD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the outside backers in the 34 are generally college ends. Guys like Demarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Justin Tuck, David Pollack, etc all fit the Pats well as OLB's.

Inside, I think Lance Mitchell is the best. He's built well now, and is proven at taking on blockers. Aside from his knee injury, he has first round ability. Robert McCune of Louisville needs some work, but he fits. Channing Crowder isn't an ideal fit, as he still needs work taking on blockers, but at his age and current size, he should be able to add the weight and strength to be able to sustain the beating it takes to play inside.

I'd say inside, Mitchell is the one clearcut player. Outside there are quite a few players.
Patsfan01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Kevin Burnett Reply with quote

sorry for all the questions, but can any of those outside linbackers/DE's play inside linebacker for us because thats a huge need with bruschi's future? I do know Justin Tuck played middle linebacker in high school but im not sure about anyone else.
rblevens

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl Blackstock and Kirk Morrison also...

Dan Cody if he drops...

Johnathan Jackson would be an awesome addition in the 6th round if he is available...He is better than the Goddard dude from Marshall that got invited to the combine...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl Blackstock is a good one, perfect fit for a 34 OLB.

Im not so sure about Morrison. He's only 6' 235, and struggles getting off blocks. Inside, you must be able to get off. A tad undersized, and already struggling with that, I dont know if hes a great fit. I love him as a player, I just dont know about the fit.

I think David Pollack could play MLB. The biggest issue of translating to that spot in regards to the combo ends/LB's is instincts. Mots of those guys are straight pass rushers. Pollack though has great football instincts and has been very active from his end spot. He makesp lays all over the place and shows good reaction skills. I think he could play ILB in the 34.

I dont think any of the other ends have the ability to play ILB< at least not for a few years.
rblevens

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Morrison down at being 240...I'll double check

I have said in a few threads that Pollack would be a great ILB in a 3-4...chances are that he will fall to us...

I also have heard that if we draft an OLB in the first round, we will move Vrabel inside...any truth in that? patriots.com expects Johnson and Phifer to both retire, and logistically, that move would make sense...

If Burnett bulks up 10 pounds he could be a good fit for our 3-4 at ILB. In a 3-4, the ILB have more coverage responsibilities and Burnett is awesome in coverage.

Personally, I would prefer to trade up for Justin Tuck...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: