Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FOOTBALL'S BACK BABY!! - Steelers vs Redskins Gameday Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: FOOTBALL'S BACK BABY!! - Steelers vs Redskins Gameday Thread Reply with quote

"I THINK ITS SAFE TO SAY WE'RE ALL READY FOR A GOOD OLD FASHIONED GAME OF FOOTBALL!!!!"

FOOOOOOTBAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

More Info: http://www.steelers.com/schedule-and-events/game/2011/preseason1/

So, I was going to do a big long write up, but Ill just save that for the regular season opener thread. Besides which, there really isnt much to talk about in terms of game plan, since there really arent any in preseason. This is all about sifting through the rubble and finding players that can contribute to the Pittsburgh Steelers this year and into the future. I will briefly cover the training camp matchips I see....

QB Dennis Dixon vs QB Charlie Batch
Dixon has reportedly looked terrible in training camp, and while Batch is getting older, he may still be the better option for our 3rd QB for one year. He is also a good mentor and locker room prescence

RB Baron Batch (rookie) vs RB Meewelde Moore

Before the preseason I didnt think Batch would show much. He is reportedly sho

WR Antonio Brown vs WR Emmanuel Sanders

Brown is lighting it up at camp and Sanders is injured. I dont forsee Brown completely taking over the slow position, but I could see him pushing to take more time away from Sanders in the regular season.

WR Limas Sweed vs WR Arnez Battle
Sweed IMO is as good as gone. Still cant catch, even though he is over his depression. IMO, anyone who seen him play in college a good bit knew it had little to do with depression. Battle is playing better in all phases from reports Ive read. Sweed will be cut in the end IMO and will officially be a bust.

TE Wesley Saunders vs TE (Forget his name...the guy we signed)

If Saunders shows ANY potential, he will be kept IMO. DJ will definitely be TE number two, so he isnt in this discussion

OG Ramon Foster vs OG Keith Williams

I seriously doubt they give up on Foster unless he really sucks this preseason and Keith Williams absolutely blows up.

DE Aaron Smith vs DE Ziggy Hood
Not a real battle...they will split time, but it could determine who sees more time and the starts on Sundays.

ILB Stevenson Sylvester vs ILB Larry Foote
Again, not a real battle. Both will be backups. Could determine main backup. If Sylvester is doing as well as they say, Foote and his grossly overpaid salary should be cut and we should look into a freaking LT to challenge Jon Scott (who seems like he is just being handed the job).

CB William Gay vs CB Keenan Lewis

I have to be honest, if Lewis and Butler cant beat out Gay, I will be disgusted. Gay sucks, and its sad if these guys cant do anything. Lewis is looking good in camp, but we heard this last year too, and look what happened. Ricardo Cocllough 2.0?

P Daniel Sepulveda vs P Jeremy Kapinos

I cant see Sep losing the job, but Kapinos is said to have been looking better at times.

There may be some I missed, but these are the main positional ones and I did this in a hurry.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
gatek99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battles I want to see are our 5th/6th WR and our Kicker battle. Apparently Grisham, Lyons, and Greenwood played with the 2nd team offense today and I hear that Waters has a strong leg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentally need to hear on tv during the game them break down a play where Batch throws to Batch.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you give up on Sweed dammit! He's going to break out this year!

Twisted Evil
Steelers_Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the NFL preseason package this year, so I'm gonna get to watch them all Twisted Evil
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:

Twisted Evil

I love your enthusiasm and I totally agree. I am looking forward to seeing Batch vs. Leftwich as well. I am a big Leftwich fan, as it's fun watching how hard he throws the football. Also, I have a gut feeling Sylvester will be the STAR of TC with Baron Batch a close second.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Twisted Evil

I love your enthusiasm and I totally agree. I am looking forward to seeing Batch vs. Leftwich as well. I am a big Leftwich fan, as it's fun watching how hard he throws the football. Also, I have a gut feeling Sylvester will be the STAR of TC with Baron Batch a close second.

Quick question...what has Sweed ever done to warrant enthusiasm? Sure, he has the physical, but has shown none of the mental ones thus far.

I hope I am wrong, but I see no reason to be optimistic about him. He seems like a good guy and I hope he can turn it around, but it probably wont be here.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, the first GDT of the season. This brightens my day.

So who exactly is on the Redskins nowadays? I don't think I know of anyone.

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Twisted Evil

Quick question...what has Sweed ever done to warrant enthusiasm? Sure, he has the physical, but has shown none of the mental ones thus far.

I hope I am wrong, but I see no reason to be optimistic about him. He seems like a good guy and I hope he can turn it around, but it probably wont be here.

Let me counter your question with a question -

What has Cameron Heyward done to warrant enthusiasm?
What did Pouncey do to warrant any?
What did Timmons do?
What did Polamalu do?

You see where I'm going with this Wink

(I do realize Sweed was a 2nd rounder not a 1st.... FYI)
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:

Heyward is in his first year and hasnt gotten a chance to proven anything.

steelcurtain29 wrote:
What did Timmons do?
What did Polamalu do?

For those other 3, I just have to ask...were you serious?

If so, no, I have no clue where you are going with that.

Pouncey was a great center as a 21 year old rookie.

Timmons and Polamalu both had mediocre rookie years, but improved every year after that, to the point where Troy is the best at his position by far, and Timmons is one of the top at his position.

SWEED, is now in his 4th year, and the only things he has done with mentioning are get hurt, drop easy catches when given chances to play, and faked an injury after one of them.

If you have faith in Sweed still, cool...but those were terrible comparisons/examples....whatever they were.

simonwayne wrote:
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Heyward is in his first year and hasnt gotten a chance to proven anything.

steelcurtain29 wrote:
What did Timmons do?
What did Polamalu do?

For those other 3, I just have to ask...were you serious?

If so, no, I have no clue where you are going with that.

Pouncey was a great center as a 21 year old rookie.

Timmons and Polamalu both had mediocre rookie years, but improved every year after that, to the point where Troy is the best at his position by far, and Timmons is one of the top at his position.

SWEED, is now in his 4th year, and the only things he has done with mentioning are get hurt, drop easy catches when given chances to play, and faked an injury after one of them.

If you have faith in Sweed still, cool...but those were terrible comparisons/examples....whatever they were.

My point was that you never really know until you try. All potential players are merely a gamble.

We know Sweed has had trouble, but it's not reason to not have faith.

Remember Troy's rookie year? Extremely average. Next season? BOOM!

We have no idea how the new and "improved" Sweed will do. It's not worth giving up faith, but realistically, it's unlikely he'll do anything.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Quick question...what has Sweed ever done to warrant enthusiasm? Sure, he has the physical

You answered your own question.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Quick question...what has Sweed ever done to warrant enthusiasm? Sure, he has the physical

Physical tools mean nothing without the mental ones. Same reason I said I dont like Taylor Mays.

After 3 years of doing nothing, its time to look past physical tools. And in that case, there is nothing to be optimistic about...at least not based on what he has shown to this point.

simonwayne wrote:
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Physical tools mean nothing without the mental ones. Same reason I said I dont like Taylor Mays.

After 3 years of doing nothing, its time to look past physical tools. And in that case, there is nothing to be optimistic about...at least not based on what he has shown to this point.

Well, I liked him coming out of college and wanted the Steelers to take him, so I really hope he does well. He just gets injured too much! If he is able to get on the field, hopefully he improves mentally. He just has wayyy bigger upside than Battle.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

And the mental means nothing without the physical.

Physical attributes (Being tall, fast etc.) are definitely enough to be enthusiastic and have hope for a player. Having hope and enthusiasm is not the same as expecting anything and I do think it would be wrong for anyone to expect anything.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: