Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Olympics anyone ?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LondonBengal


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3198
Location: London, England, UK
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Olympics anyone ? Reply with quote

Just reading that Roger Goodell has expressed the view that american football could be a possible olympic exhibition sport in the future, and how Usain Bolts' 100m time might project into a sub 4.0 second 40 time, made me wonder if you American guys have enjoyed the London Olympics, and how the games have gone down stateside ?

It's been wonderful being here in London, with a warm glow hanging over the city during otherwise troubled economic times, and they've done a wonderful job of using the fantastic historic cityscapes as backdrops for the events; something Beijing couldn't have done.

Everything appears to have gone well so far apart from a couple of minor snags; (like showing the South Korean flag when the North Korean ladies football (soccer) team was introduced);...ouch !!!!!.

Having worked for some years in London and witnessing that pretty derelict part of town get a full facelift has been excellent, and all achieved at a considerably reduced price tag than what Beijing cost in '08.

We've even had some sunshine.....wow !

You Americans have pretty much dominated sports like swimming. I know its not technically a football post, but any views from across the pond ?
_________________
" Democracy is a system where two idiots can out-vote a genius..........."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
futbudds


Joined: 20 May 2008
Posts: 1594
Location: Neptune Beach Fl
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed it thoroughly. Our media coverage aside it has been awesome to watch. Women's soccer at old trafford, all of the crew events, Wimbledon, I even watched the coma inducing race-walking event because of where it took place. One thing that I haven't gotten enough of is hearing different accents during the events. Yeah I want a yank to win every event but I wouldn't mind at least a couple interviews from other athletes that can hold up to an interview in English. And 'Jess' is easily the biggest and best story in this games, with the dude from Grenada in second.

Bolt has about as much of a chance of playing football in the NFL as he does Getting playing time for Man U. One doesnt simply fall into either of those sports. It takes almost a decade to develop the touch it takes to play competitive futbol in europe much less for the premier league. And he would have to put on twenty pounds to play in the nfl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE DUKE


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 15601
Location: Centerville, OH
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBC tape delaying everything stole most of the mojo from these Olympics for me. I knew Bolt won the 200 tonight well before it aired. I really didn't care to watch at that point. I understand why they do it for the ratings, but for me i've watched a lot less than in the past.
_________________

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
INbengalfan


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 5525
Location: Richmond, IN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tape delay thing bothered me at first, but I adjusted. I love ther on demand option the day after. Just skip ESPN, see what you can on tape delay, but watch just what you want on demand. As a former distance runner, I had to wait a day to see the whole 10K run. Not that big of a adeal though.

I love the Olympics, BTW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 18570
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
The tape delay thing bothered me at first, but I adjusted. I love ther on demand option the day after. Just skip ESPN, see what you can on tape delay, but watch just what you want on demand. As a former distance runner, I had to wait a day to see the whole 10K run. Not that big of a adeal though.

I love the Olympics, BTW


I just stopped paying attention to the news. Then i didn't even know it was tape delayed.
_________________


Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LondonBengal


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3198
Location: London, England, UK
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

futbudds wrote:
Bolt has about as much of a chance of playing football in the NFL as he does Getting playing time for Man U. One doesnt simply fall into either of those sports. It takes almost a decade to develop the touch it takes to play competitive futbol in europe much less for the premier league. And he would have to put on twenty pounds to play in the nfl.


The funny thing for me, was that Bolt wasn't the fastest guy in any of the sprints over the first 40 metres. Sure, he won over 100 metres because of his blistering finish, but Yohan Blake was in the lead after 40.

Yohan Blake probably ran something like a 3.85 sec first 40 metres. Wow.

Went to Old Trafford to watch the 0-0 (bore) draw between Spain and Morrocco mens football (soccer). Probably 10k there in a practically empty 70k stadium. The Olympic Park in London however was spectacular.

If the stadium had a roof, it would have been blown off.
_________________
" Democracy is a system where two idiots can out-vote a genius..........."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carson4MVP


Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 1657
Location: Hilliard
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:
The tape delay thing bothered me at first, but I adjusted. I love ther on demand option the day after. Just skip ESPN, see what you can on tape delay, but watch just what you want on demand. As a former distance runner, I had to wait a day to see the whole 10K run. Not that big of a adeal though.

I love the Olympics, BTW


I just stopped paying attention to the news. Then i didn't even know it was tape delayed.


I used the tape delay to my advantage, making my girl think I was Nostadamus the first couple days of the Olympics with my prediction of wins. I rarely missed... Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group