Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Davone Bess and Brandon Marshall
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Davone Bess and Brandon Marshall Reply with quote

I didn't know that Davone Bess and Brandon Marshall rank up with the top WR Duo's in the NFL.

http://thefinsiders.com/blog/2011/comparing-marshall-bess-to-the-best-of-the-rest

Quote:
Dallas: Miles Austin (69 for 1,041yards, 15.1 avg, 7TDs and long of 92 yards for a TD) & Dez Bryant (45 for 561yards, 12.5 avg, 6 TDs and long of 46).

NY Giants: Hakeem Hicks (79 for 1,052yards, 13.3 avg, 11 TDs and long of 46 for a TD) & Mario Manningham (60 for 944yards, 15.7 avg, 9TDs and long of 92 for a TD).

Green Bay: Greg Jennings (76 for 1,265yards, 16.6 avg, 12 TDs and long of 86 for a TD) & Donald Driver (51 for 565yards, 11.1 avg, 4TDs and long of 61 for a TD).

Indianapolis: Reggie Wayne (111 for 1,355yards, 12.2 avg, 6TDs and long of 50 yds) & Pierre Garcon (67 for 784yards, 11.4 avg, 6 TDs and long of 57 for a TD).

NY Jets: Braylon Edwards (53 for 904yards, 17.1 avg, 7TDs and long of 74 for a TD) & Santonio Holmes (52 for 746yards, 14.3 avg, 6 TDs and long of 52 yards).

Pittsburgh: Mike Wallace (60 for 1,257yards, 21.0 avg, 10 TDs, and long of 56 for a TD) & Hines Ward (59 for 755yards, 12.8 avg, 5TDs and long of 43 yards).

Baltimore: Anquan Boldin (64 for 837yards, 13.3 avg, 7 TDs and long of 61yards) & Derrick Mason (61 for 802yards, 13.1 avg, 7TDs and long of 42yards).

Philadelphia: Jeremy Maclin (70 for 964 yards, 13.8 avg, 10 TDs and long of 83 for a TD) & DeSean Jackson (47 for 1,056yards, 22.5 avg, 6TDs and long of 91 for a TD).

Really this puts it into perspective about how good our passing game can be. Just think of how good this offense can be with a good run game like we had in 08 and 09.

UniversalAuthor
Russ57

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this point below when I picked Bess over Davis and Starks. That duo beat the Marks brothers with Marino tossing the rock. Hard to say Henne sucks when you look at those stats.

Still, forget the run game and imagine the likes of brady or manning:)

Bess is way more than "just a niche player" IMHO.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
I made this point below when I picked Bess over Davis and Starks. That duo beat the Marks brothers with Marino tossing the rock. Hard to say Henne sucks when you look at those stats.

Still, forget the run game and imagine the likes of brady or manning:)

Bess is way more than "just a niche player" IMHO.

You don't need a great QB when you have a good run game. Cassel played well last season, mainly because of the run game. It took a lot of pressure off of him.

UniversalAuthor
fasel1515

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Davone Bess and Brandon Marshall Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
Really this puts it into perspective about how good our passing game can be. Just think of how good this offense can be with a good QB.

Fixed it for you!
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
Hard to say Henne sucks when you look at those stats.

Anddddddddddddddddddddddd..........................................

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bess is probably the best signing that this regime has made. If Marshalls hip has healed all the way we could see these guys hit top 5.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
Bess is probably the best signing that this regime has made. If Marshalls hip has healed all the way we could see these guys hit top 5.

Top 5 what?
patdt13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
Jaytotha wrote:

Top 5 what?

Bess is easily one the better slot receivers in the legaue

#TeamMeowgatron
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdt13 wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:
Jaytotha wrote:

Top 5 what?

Bess is easily one the better slot receivers in the legaue

True. This really shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone. Marshall is a top 6 or 7 number 1 WR, and Bess is a top 5 slot receiver. So of course they would rank out pretty well as a duo, and I think they will do even better next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to bring everybody back down to earth a little...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/07/dan-henning-dissects-time-with-dolphins-but-wont-talk-about-brandon-marshall/

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not convinced. Bess and Marhsall are good, but they stunk in the redzone for us last year. The knock on Marhsall has always been his off the field issues, and as evidenced by the fact that he was stabbed, I think those concerns are still legitimate. Bess, is a fine slot guy, but I'd prefer he be our 3rd WR not our #2 guy. Can they be part of an elite WR corps? I don't doubt that they can, but I don't see them as striking fear into the hearts of Defenses, and I see them as nothing more than pedestrian when we get to the goal line.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I am not convinced. Bess and Marhsall are good, but they stunk in the redzone for us last year. The knock on Marhsall has always been his off the field issues, and as evidenced by the fact that he was stabbed, I think those concerns are still legitimate. Bess, is a fine slot guy, but I'd prefer he be our 3rd WR not our #2 guy. Can they be part of an elite WR corps? I don't doubt that they can, but I don't see them as striking fear into the hearts of Defenses, and I see them as nothing more than pedestrian when we get to the goal line.

I blame that more on Henne and the lack of running game. Bess was actually fine in the red zone. Most slot receivers don't score in the double digits. I think they are a good QB (FA, Henne?), running game (Pouncy, Garner, Thomas?), and probably speedy receiver/TE (Gates/Clay?) away from being an elite group. I put the chances at less than 50%, but there is a chance things could really fall into place this year for the offense. More than likely though we are a season or two away. Hopefully it happens as the defense is peaking, and we have a magical season or two.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our offense sucked in the redzone last season Merc. I think the play calling was a little obvious and we never really went to Marshall in the redzone.

I think a lot of you guys are underestimating Bess as a perimeter receiver. Bess doesn't play exclusively to the slot. Bess has the versatility to kick outside and move inside, based on match ups. Bess creates mismatches that we need. If you add in Edmond Gates, you can see a very dynamic offense with some play action. I really hope that our offense comes together.

I don't want to make this thread into a henne thread but really if the passing game struggles, i have to think it's Henne or Daboll.

I think what Russ57 was saying is that, maybe we are giving Henne too much flack about not being able to hit his receivers when Marshall and Bess both put up good numbers.

UniversalAuthor
FOOTBALLFAN08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
Our offense sucked in the redzone last season Merc. I think the play calling was a little obvious and we never really went to Marshall in the redzone.

I think a lot of you guys are underestimating Bess as a perimeter receiver. Bess doesn't play exclusively to the slot. Bess has the versatility to kick outside and move inside, based on match ups. Bess creates mismatches that we need. If you add in Edmond Gates, you can see a very dynamic offense with some play action. I really hope that our offense comes together.

I don't want to make this thread into a henne thread but really if the passing game struggles, i have to think it's Henne or Daboll.

I think what Russ57 was saying is that, maybe we are giving Henne too much flack about not being able to hit his receivers when Marshall and Bess both put up good numbers.

My belief is that the play calling only gets obvious when there are either obvious strengths, or obvious weaknesses. Considering our QB, and running game, I think you see where I place the blame.

When you lose dimensions, and are confined to less space, it is without a doubt easier to be exposed.

I didn't give the Dolphins any real credit in my post because I wanted to agitate FOOTBALLFAN08, in the event he was still checking this thread.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:

I think I had to much expectations with the trade for Marshall. I think we could have a really dynamic offense like you were saying only if we add another RB that can break and get up the field(ie Bradshaw or Williams)

Bess is a talented guy that I think many like myself link to the slot position because he reminds me of Welker. I think a slot guy can be a consistent 2 and at times last season Bess was the target and got the passing game going. With good QB play and a healthy Marshall we could see some good things.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: