Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Walter Jones vs. Jonathon Odgen
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Walter Jones vs. Jonathon Odgen
Walter Jones
39%
 39%  [ 24 ]
Jonathon Odgen
60%
 60%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 61

Smokegt2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Walter Jones vs. Jonathon Odgen Reply with quote

Who would you rather have? For me it would be Walter Jones. In 5,703 pass attempts over 13 seasons, Walter Jones was called for holding 9 times and surrendered 23 sacks, 10 of those came in 2006 when he played on an injured leg all season. Odgen was good in his own right but I truely believe Jones was better by a paper thin margin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-BSrVsRDs

Here is an example of his dominance. He pushes a DE 40 yards up the feild, while keeping up with Shaun Alexander and pancakes him.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Jones, easily. The fact that Shuan Alexander will be considered a hall of famer in some people's eye is a miracle, Steve Hutchinson in his prime alongside Jones was nasty.
Smokegt2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Walter Jones, easily. The fact that Shuan Alexander will be considered a hall of famer in some people's eye is a miracle, Steve Hutchinson in his prime alongside Jones was nasty.

Jones was an athletic freak. He ran a 4.7 40 yard dash at 315 pounds. His footwork was also immaculate. You could get him out of position but he could recover right away and punish defenders.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its definitely paper-thin either way, but I give that slight edge to Jonathan Ogden.
adamq

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Its definitely paper-thin either way, but I give that slight edge to Jonathan Ogden.

-kiltman
Smokegt2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:

And why?
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nearly impossible to compare them based on the film since they were both beasts. Ogden has a better resume since he blocked for a 2000 yard rusher, won a super bowl, has more pro bowls and all-pro teams. He also didn't play with anyone as dominant as Steve Hutchinson, whose departure helped kill the Seahawks running game.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokegt2 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:

And why?

He was a much more devastating blocker. When he got his hands on you, you ended up 10 yards downfield, or on the ground. He never had another elite player on his line, Jones benefited from a few years with Hutch.

And the Shaun Alexander point is moot (also, he'll never really be considered for the hall of fame); Ogden blocked for a 2,000 yard rusher.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good poll, that is a close one.

I took Jones by a hair.

Dare you to add Anthony Munoz to the poll though Wink
Smokegt2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
It's nearly impossible to compare them based on the film since they were both beasts. Ogden has a better resume since he blocked for a 2000 yard rusher, won a super bowl, has more pro bowls and all-pro teams. He also didn't play with anyone as dominant as Steve Hutchinson, whose departure helped kill the Seahawks running game.

Solid arguments, however if you're going to use the superbowl then you have to mention Seattles offenses. Never did the Ravens have an offense ranked above 14 with Jonathon Odgen, however the Seahawks routinely had offenses ranked in the top 10 when they were contenders.

While Seattle never had a 2000 yard rusher Shaun Alexanders accomplishment in 2005 was almost as impressive. He scored twice as many touchdowns as Lewis and rewrote the record books. Not only that Seattle was also far more pass happy than the Ravens ever were and Jones routinely shutout the best pass rushers in the game.

Yes, while Seattle's run game became awful in 2006-NOW you cannot just attribute that to Hutchinson leaving. In 2006 Seattles line took many massive hits. First of which was Hutchinson's departure. The second was the fact that Seattles center Robby Tobeck suffered a career ending injury. Seattles RG Chris Gray was older than dirt and suffered a massive decline eventually retiring the next season (16 years in the NFL). Sean Locklear was part of the 2005 line but was never a good run blocker.

Seattle never found replacements for any of these players. Instead they were replaced by scrubs. Spencer, and Sims didn't even become mediocre players until Jones was long gone. Womak, and Wahle were no good either. None of this can be attributed just to Hutchinson leaving. Seattle essentially lost 3 of there 5 starters.
Rayvens52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going with Ogden he was a beast and was a dominant figure at LT,It's funny Ogdens name is brought up,because I just saw Ogden in a South Vegas grocery store,hes a nice guy and has a home here.Walter ones was good,but Ogden has a more polished resume and really just took over in his prime
JAD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bigger fan of Ogden, but i'm not going to vote because I think it is too close. They both had high points blocking for great offenses and players.

It was truly awesome watching the big 3 of Pace-Ogden-Jones in their primes.

Bjoern Werner Tunes Up for Senior Season
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Smokegt2 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:

And why?

He was a much more devastating blocker. When he got his hands on you, you ended up 10 yards downfield, or on the ground. He never had another elite player on his line, Jones benefited from a few years with Hutch.

And the Shaun Alexander point is moot (also, he'll never really be considered for the hall of fame); Ogden blocked for a 2,000 yard rusher.

So did Eugene Amano, moot point.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones = Mobility/Athleticism
Ogden = Size/Power

Pick your preference...

Jones had a lot of power, and Ogden was very athletic for a tackle as well, but that's what it comes down to with regards to separating the two...
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Smokegt2 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:

And why?

So did Eugene Amano, moot point.

Amano had the best RT in the league and one of the 3 best LTs alongside him. The rest of Ogden's line was extremely average. But my point was to emphasize that you shouldn't really judge one lineman based on a few year's of production from a running back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: