Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derrick Mason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Derrick Mason Reply with quote

in the baltimore sun, brian billick admitted the team has interest in mason and said he fits their criteria for what they want. he also had nothing but good things to say such as being productive and a leader. i still think the dream situation would be Mason AND Coles but one of those guys would do just fine.
mic79e

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ravens do have an interest in him. But what Billick actually said was that Mason "would certainly fit part of our criteria". Meaning he doesn't fit all the criteria that they have.

I think this says they’d sign him if other options fall through.
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then whats the other part of the criteria? the only knocks on mason that i could think of is that he is 31, but so i muhammad i think, and he is a little on the short side. seriously, what avialble WRs would fit all of our criteria?

Burress-injuries, inconsistant hands
Coles- injuries, lack of TDs
Muhammad- age, really only had 1 big year in the last 4 seasons
Mason- age, hieght
Williams- speed, expirience
Edwards- inconsistant hands, expierience

Of those, i think Coles is the most complete but after him, they are all pretty even in terms of the pros and cons

There really arent many "perfect" WRs in the NFL. off the top of my head i can say Harrison, Holt, TO, Horn, Andre Johnson, Javon Walker but there are a few more out there.
mic79e

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the criteria is something along the lines of:
-- Has proven to be a number 1 receiver in the NFL
-- Proven deep threat
-- Speed to stretch the field
-- Young enough to give Boller a long-term target

As you said, the obvious knock on Mason is his age. Billick’s comment also makes me think that they would prefer a receiver with better size than Mason. But I think that while he may not have the size of Burress, he has proven that he is a number 1 receiver, and that gives him an edge over Burress. But whomever we bring in has to solve this ongoing problem, we can't afford for them not to work out.

As for Coles, I also think he is the best option and neither the injuries (172 catches over the last two years despite the toe) or 1 TD season (a result of the Gibbs/Breaux offence) are serious concerns. For my mind he fits the criteria of what we need in a receiver.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: