You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FRANCHISE KVB

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

franchise KVB
yes
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
no
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 11

SHAVED_CHICKEN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: FRANCHISE KVB Reply with quote

I THINK i know what franchising a player entails (if someone has specifics please post them)....do you think that the titans will (should) franchise KVB......

i dont think i really have an opinion but i think that he would get TOO much money if we franchised him and he stayed.....and when i say too much money i dont mean that he doesnt deserve it i mean we dont have it to give

Men die. Money gets spent. Glory is forever.
Titans Assistant GM FFMD07
titans will return

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,because we could get him for less money and get him a longer contract for less than we would if we franchised him,because if you franchise a player,you have to pay them I believe what the top 5 players at his position make,and that is a very very high number.So NO!!
PacAttack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans will return wrote:
No,because we could get him for less money and get him a longer contract for less than we would if we franchised him,because if you franchise a player,you have to pay them I believe what the top 5 players at his position make,and that is a very very high number.So NO!!

Totally agree. While KVB has had a terrific year, he does not deserve the type of money it cost to "franchise" a player. I would rather sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal that is relatively low cost, but with incentives. He played like a pro bowler this year and may deserve more than what we will probably offer, but he has had an injury plagued career and wasn't very impressive because of it during his stint in Arizona. If we can sign him (like I said above), then he could still make his money through production incentives while allowing the Titans to feel a little bit more safe with signing him long term.

They say that a Griffin is always in beast mode, I didn't realize what that meant until I heard the crack of bone and was eating turf for lunch.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No incentives right now... because the CBA is messing that up with the looming (but not likely) uncapped 07. We might not have to worry too much about this since there are grumblings that the FA signing period might be delayed until the beginning of April (since the new CBA needs a little bit of ironing out before it goes through).

We definately won't franchise him, but maybe a transitional tag is possible. We'll see.
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the idea of franchising him. titans will return is right - he would get the average of the top five salaries at his position, but that's not as high as you'd think. When the top players sign contracts they get enormous signing bonuses and sometimes relatively small annual salaries. You don't see players rejoicing when they get franchised - you hear them complaining.

Plus, franchise offers are one year deals - no dead cap money in the future. Those big signing bonuses are what got us into trouble a couple years back and that's how you end up with a cap disaster.

But I haven't studied all the effects of the CBA yet - as rage alluded to. Not sure how likely this option is, given that.

Adopt a Titan 2017: Derrick Henry and Mike Mularkey
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
You don't see players rejoicing when they get franchised - you hear them complaining.

Thats cuz the players that are usually tagged are one of the top 5 of their position and they want more guaranteed money.

If we were to franchise KVB, he would get a salary of 8.3M. That isn't cheap in any sense of the word. He will not get that at all, but if we franchise him, its guaranteed.

If we put the transition tag on him, its only 7M, but better yet, we can retract the tag at any time. Comp goes out the window, but we do have the option of matching any offer sheet given to him.
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, rage.

I'm just skittish about him hitting the open market. Too many desperate teams that will overpay with a long-term deal. We've seen it dozens of times the past few years. Bert Berry - after one good season - got a five year deal with $4M base salary and a $5M signing bonus two years ago from Arizona. Spread the bonus out and that's still a cap hit of over $5M. And lots of dead money if he decides to tank it after his big pay-day.

I'd rather swallow an $8M cap number for one year -knowing there are no future ramifications - than be forced to decide if it's worth matching some ungodly 5 or 6 year offer from a desperate team.

I think if we can get a long term deal secured before the deadline (March 3, I think) it will be a realistic deal. I trust Reese not to go nuts on a guy who still could be a one-year wonder. Once other teams start throwing offers his way, my guess is he's gone to greener pastures.

Adopt a Titan 2017: Derrick Henry and Mike Mularkey
SHAVED_CHICKEN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
If we put the transition tag on him, its only 7M, but better yet, we can retract the tag at any time. Comp goes out the window, but we do have the option of matching any offer sheet given to him.

i may sound stupid but can someone explain the transition tag....also if alot of teams are throwing stuff KVBs way and hes franchised then we get some stuff if he does leave if im not mistaken(if anyone has specifics please post)....but even with that said i dont think it will or should happen

TitansFan9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, that means top 5 money at the DE position for a 1 year contract, not meaning KVB is not worth it, it's just that we don't have it to spend right now...... Let's get a long term deal done with him

BadToTheBone wrote:
VY, proving doubters wrong since college. When will people give up?

Hes a winner and will always be one.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAVED_CHICKEN wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:

i may sound stupid but can someone explain the transition tag....also if alot of teams are throwing stuff KVBs way and hes franchised then we get some stuff if he does leave if im not mistaken(if anyone has specifics please post)....but even with that said i dont think it will or should happen

With the transition tag, it basically just gives you the right of first refusal. If KVB signs an offer sheet with another team, we can match it and keep his services. If we don't we don't get anything in return (of course, if we don't match it, it'll be because its a ton of money, meaning we'll get some sort of good comp pick the next draft).

The advantages of the transition over the franchise tag is that instead of the top 5 salaries, its the average of the top 10 salaries, making it a little cheaper. The other is that it can be retracted at any point if he hasn't signed it.
SHAVED_CHICKEN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now THAT sounds like a good idea....one question....do we have to MATCH the offer or go over the offer......

also speaking of comp picks...when do those get announced

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: