Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ted Thompson's Draft Tendencies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fan-59 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Tongue-Splitter wrote:
Didn't Vernon Davis say he didn't want to play in Green Bay?

It sounds like he still doesn't care for Wisconsin. Wink

some people just don't like GODS country Laughing unfathomable Laughing

Smile Even tho we are retired hubby and I still come back up north every summer and stay at UWGB for 10 weeks. Its too damn cold for me up there right now but we love it up there come June. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants to do some work on this with me? Looking to update OP and put some time in on finding out if TT has age guidelines. Also considering breaking down his picks by conference? Think the conference thing may already have been done by someone though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siv wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
urban youth of peace not wanting to play in conservative wisconsin? that's a shocker

not enough gang bangaz yo

Surprised Brandon Underwood showed up then...Sherrod was over 320 when we drafted him too btw.

One of the things I've noticed about Ted's drafting is that he does not draft any Safety or WR that does not run a 4.4 40 with the exception of James Jones. He also does not draft any TE that runs over a 4.7 40 as well with the exception of Clark Harris(4.Cool who never made it through TC and the irascible Jerramy Stevens(4.77) who he picked with Seattle.

IIRC, Jennings ran in the 4.5's...Didn't Finley run high 4.7s?

Not sure about Finley but I thought Jennings ran a 4.44

http://bit.ly/1iIJOcM

Razz

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSacamano wrote:

Razz

Google is extremely unreliable for checking 40 yard dash times. It has lacy with a 4.44 40 yard dash. He ran a 4.57 at his pro day.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue-Splitter wrote:
BobSacamano wrote:

Razz

Google is extremely unreliable for checking 40 yard dash times. It has lacy with a 4.44 40 yard dash. He ran a 4.57 at his pro day.

What site? I just use NFL Draft Scout, always has been damn accurate as far as I know.

Though it has Lacy at 4.64 for the Pro Day, but those vary from hand to hand.

AFAIK, the combine stuff is always pretty on.
Kal-El

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Ted sits on his hands for as long as he's in the war room.
2.) He takes two WRs ever year ... except when he doesn't.
3.) Ted takes all the playmakerz off his board.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, he hasn't traded up with his original first pick. Either stays put or trades back from what I can remember.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
IIRC, Ted always takes an OL by the 4th round. This OL played tackle in college.

Not only are his OL picks almost always college OTs (generally LTs too), they all tend to be very good performers in the short shuttle and cone drill.

So like if you're looking at mid-round OL prospects, and you find one of them who's an OT with a shuttle 4.65 or less and a cone 7.65 or better, circle that name.

IIRC, the only OL TT has drafted since MM got here that weren't better than those numbers at the combine were Spitz (7.82 cone, 4.56 shuttle), Jamon Meredith (8.01 cone, 4.82 shuttle), and Bulaga (7.70 cone, 4.75 shuttle.) I'm not sure how to count guys like Moll and Schlauderaff, who weren't healthy enough to do a full workout in the pre-draft process.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you look at where Schlauderaff was taken and why he was taken. Intelligence is a necessity and Schlauderaff was a guy how played beyond his measurables and talent. That's why we were able to trade him to the Jets for a pick.

Aside from that, TT went OL in the first round consistently because he had to. Look at how bad Sherman left our OL. It took Ted a good 4-5 years just to fix it and some feel we still don't have it fixed.

Frankly, I think this might be the year where TT breaks the mold and goes with someone who's not a OL/DL in the first. If we go with someone like Hageman, TT will show to be very predictable and I really hope Hageman is not the pick, not just because I hate him as a prospect, but because he'd be a project player from Day 1 and he'd epically bust because of his weaknesses.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tendency that I've noticed-- TT tends to bring in a lot of late round picks for pre-draft visits instead of focusing on high-round talent like other teams (Vikings/Lions) tend to do.

I wonder if this has any impact on why his late round picks tend to hit and his 1st rounders have had slightly less success than other teams tend to. (Could just be coincidence too to be honest...we've had a lot of injuries derail the careers of our high picks compared to most teams that just have their players bust because of off-field or talent related stuff)

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
One tendency that I've noticed-- TT tends to bring in a lot of late round picks for pre-draft visits instead of focusing on high-round talent like other teams (Vikings/Lions) tend to do.

I wonder if this has any impact on why his late round picks tend to hit and his 1st rounders have had slightly less success than other teams tend to. (Could just be coincidence too to be honest...we've had a lot of injuries derail the careers of our high picks compared to most teams that just have their players bust because of off-field or talent related stuff)

I don't think that is accurate.

Rodgers
Hawk
Harrell
Raji
Clay
Bulaga
Sherrod
Perry
Jones

There is an MVP, DPOY candidate, 4 pro bowlers, 1 is close (Bulaga). IMO unfair to grade Sherrod, possibly even Harrell, but I'll let that one slide. No grade for Jones or Perry either.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:

I don't think that is accurate.

Rodgers
Hawk
Harrell
Raji
Clay
Bulaga
Sherrod
Perry
Jones

There is an MVP, DPOY candidate, 4 pro bowlers, 1 is close (Bulaga). IMO unfair to grade Sherrod, possibly even Harrell, but I'll let that one slide. No grade for Jones or Perry either.

Don't get me wrong. I don't fault making any of those picks. It's just interesting to me that he doesn't spend as many pre-draft resources on the high guys. He spreads it out from rounds 1 through priority FA guys.

What I was getting at though- although now I notice I didn't explain it too well- was that I'm not really expecting our first round pick to be on our radar. It'll most likely be a guy we have pegged early round two that NFL minds have much higher, or a guy that slides lower than we think. I would expect to recognize a few names of our 4-FA pickups though. I'm excited for this draft- just seems deeper than usual. Hopefully that is the case and we can capitalize on it. We could use a real solid draft this year since our last few haven't contributed like we'd have hoped yet.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of recently, Blankman raises an excellent observation. Charles Johnson, Bakh, Nate Palmer; all guys we looked at about this time last year and we spent picks on them. I'm getting the same feeling about Christian Kirksey and some of those other Hawkeyes.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
As of recently, Blankman raises an excellent observation. Charles Johnson, Bakh, Nate Palmer; all guys we looked at about this time last year and we spent picks on them. I'm getting the same feeling about Christian Kirksey and some of those other Hawkeyes.

I'm surprised we were so late to the party talking about some of them.

Got a good Iowa fan buddy and I was kind of picking his brain about their LBs among other players then just a few days later we started being linked to them.

I was basically asking him why he thought there names weren't out there more too. Kind of funny timing.
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Who wants to do some work on this with me? Looking to update OP and put some time in on finding out if TT has age guidelines. Also considering breaking down his picks by conference? Think the conference thing may already have been done by someone though.

You might want to talk to The LBC. Him and I worked on this thing on a bigger basis a few years ago, but I think he still keeps somewhat up to date on it. He might be able to help you jumpstart this.

simonwayne wrote:
This one is over. Mark down the dubya.

Colts 45 - Chiefs 44

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: