Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ted Thompson's Draft Tendencies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fan-59

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrock645 wrote:
it still makes me sick that he drafted Hawk instead of Ngata. Obviously, there could have been worse picks than Hawk but how much better would this defense be with Ngata?

Teds board probably went

Super Mario, then Hawk, then Davis, Hawk was spoken of as most likely to succeed of all three, can't argue with that type thinking when spending a top 5 pick.
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Vernon Davis say he didn't want to play in Green Bay?
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue-Splitter wrote:

It sounds like he still doesn't care for Wisconsin. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Tongue-Splitter wrote:

It sounds like he still doesn't care for Wisconsin. Wink

some people just don't like GODS country Laughing unfathomable Laughing
Skypilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Cobb broke the 5'11" WR rule.

Despite the character Ted pursues, still an average team with the law.

Noticing that the more spiritual types tend to like Green Bay more than the idiot thug types. They also seem to expect less financially.

I suppose I should update the stats from OP.

Don't know about expecting less financially. Jennings (Greg) wore his religion on his sleeve, and was a "greedy" as they come. Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to take care of your family and make as much as you can.

AJ Hawk squeezed the Packers hard and his contract (4th highest on the team, now, has been an albatross. Pickett is very well compensated for a one diminutional player. CM3 is the highest paid in the league at his position as is AR. Finley made $8.750 last season. Brad Jones. Clifton made a lot, even at age 33/34. True, Jordy Nelson settled for less, but that's an exception. Raji and Shields aren't going to be low-balled, either.

I think it's more a case of avoiding of the obvious thugs/repeat offenders and drafting guys who love football (Harrell, Sherrod being exceptions on that one) and who are team leaders in college more than being "religious," which is different than "spiritual."
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urban youth of peace not wanting to play in conservative wisconsin? that's a shocker

not enough gang bangaz yo
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
urban youth of peace not wanting to play in conservative wisconsin? that's a shocker

Surprised Brandon Underwood showed up then...Sherrod was over 320 when we drafted him too btw.

One of the things I've noticed about Ted's drafting is that he does not draft any Safety or WR that does not run a 4.4 40 with the exception of James Jones. He also does not draft any TE that runs over a 4.7 40 as well with the exception of Clark Harris(4.Cool who never made it through TC and the irascible Jerramy Stevens(4.77) who he picked with Seattle.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Surprised Brandon Underwood showed up then...Sherrod was over 320 when we drafted him too btw.

One of the things I've noticed about Ted's drafting is that he does not draft any Safety or WR that does not run a 4.4 40 with the exception of James Jones. He also does not draft any TE that runs over a 4.7 40 as well with the exception of Clark Harris(4.Cool who never made it through TC and the irascible Jerramy Stevens(4.77) who he picked with Seattle.

IIRC, Jennings ran in the 4.5's...Didn't Finley run high 4.7s?

Sig brought to you by Justo
Siv

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Not sure about Finley but I thought Jennings ran a 4.44
AtariB20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted has never drafted a player of a skill position other than Rodgers in the 1st round

No QB, RB, WR, TE, CB, S. You can expect him to continue this with drafting somebody in the trenches or a LB this 1st round.
HokieHigh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtariB20 wrote:
Ted has never drafted a player of a skill position other than Rodgers in the 1st round

No QB, RB, WR, TE, CB, S. You can expect him to continue this with drafting somebody in the trenches or a LB this 1st round.

This is the year he bucks that trend. I think if Shields walks or we cut TW, we pick 2x in the first round this year and spend them both in the defensive backfield.
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really too small a sample size to say that. You can say that it might not have been the first round, but Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings were his first picks those years. You could point to Koren Robinson. You could rationalize each individually based on team needs. TE and RB you can argue value of the position as well as the talent available.

What happens if they cut Tramon Williams AND Shields leaves? Do you really think Thompson would really say "nah a CB isn't worth it" if one of the CBs has a similar grade to the other available prospects.

I don't think you can definitively pigeon hole anything Thompson does in the draft.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ManInCharge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a silly one, but TT loves drafting guys who go by their initials instead of full names.

2005: None
2006: AJ Hawk
2007: None
2008: JJ Jansen (UDFA)
2009: BJ Raji, TJ Lang
2010: CJ Wilson
2011: DJ Williams, DJ Smith, MD Jennings (UDFA)
2012: BJ Coleman
2013: JC Tretter

2014: CJ Mosley?

"I know one thing about these guys, they're not going to stop quitting.''
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siv wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Finley ran a 4.67, Ryan Taylor ran a 4.65, DJ Williams ran a 4.57. Quarless ran a 4.68. FWIW, Bostick ran a 4.49 on his pro day.

Not sure about Finley but I thought Jennings ran a 4.44
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HokieHigh wrote:
AtariB20 wrote:

This is the year he bucks that trend. I think if Shields walks or we cut TW, we pick 2x in the first round this year and spend them both in the defensive backfield.
Because we've never thought that before and been entirely wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: