Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ted Thompson's Draft Tendencies
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Ted Thompson's Draft Tendencies Reply with quote

Looking over the Wizards career, I noticed a few tendencies from his drafts. The time span includes 2000-2004 in Seattle, and 2005-2010 in Green Bay.

First, Ted Thompson doesn't draft many secondary players under 5'11". Two (Curtis Fuller, 4th Round in 2001, Marviel Underwood, 4th Round in 2005) out of his fifteen Defensive Back selections have been under 5'11". Both played Safety.

Second, Teddy doesn't draft Wide Receivers under 5'11". Of the twelve he has drafted, only one (Darrell Jackson, 2001) is under 6' tall (he is 5'11"). Of those twelve, only two have been taller than 6'2" (Nelson and Alex Bannister a late pick). Also, Ted has yet to have a Wide Receiver drafted in the first three rounds bust. They include Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Greg Jennings, Darrell Jackson, Koren Robinson. (Murphy excluded)

Third, Ted Thompson has NEVER drafted a player in his 84 picks shorter than 5'10" or weighing over 340 pounds. Regardless of position. He really doesn't draft outside of expected sizes for players. No offensive tackles under 6'5" that didn't also play guard (Lang, Barbre, Colledge all 6'4"). No offensive tackles weighing over 320.

Fourth, going against what I just said; Ted isn't afraid to take a Flutie. five of the seven quarterbacks Ted Thompson has drafted have been 6'2" or less. None of them are better than Seneca Wallace or Matt Flynn, but he will draft them.

Not a lot of rare thinking from Ted based in his history. A lot of it could be chalked up to coincidence or just being the way a lot of teams draft. But it is the only evidence we have to go off of with Ted's thinking

Also, the largest tendency I found with Theodore's picks and Free Agent additions is character related and spiritual. Do the research for yourself on that or PM me for a hint..
PackD91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ted Thompson's Draft Tendencies Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Also, the largest tendency I found with Theodore's picks and Free Agent additions is character related and spiritual. Do the research for yourself on that or PM me for a hint..

What???
sunflower300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say spiritual do you mean deeply religious? Nothing wrong with that, I am just not entirely sure if that is what you mean.
RashaanSalaami

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunflower300 wrote:
When you say spiritual do you mean deeply religious? Nothing wrong with that, I am just not entirely sure if that is what you mean.

A lot of his draft picks tend to be pretty religious, which could also coincide with his choice of picking high character guys. There is some correlation there at least.
justo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ted Thompson's Draft Tendencies Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Seneca Wallace or Matt Flynn
The profit.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
squire12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall seeing Bill Parcells being interviewed with someone from ESPN (Mike Tirico possibly) just prior to NFL draft time. They went position by position and had weight, height and other measurable of players that were successful over time (not sue how long). Basically prototype body types for each position.

Google search for this brought forward some related articles
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/2/24/4022350/2013-combine-tale-of-the-tape-for-o-line-making-sense-of-the-numbers
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that "spiritual" thing is pretty easy to read into. I know I can't say that he picks players of a certain religious belief, but if you look on the twitters of players Thompson drafts, 97 percent of them will mention a certain thing that I can't mention here that rhymes with Odd. If you unscramble the letters that spell dog, you might get the idea. Am I being too vague? Too specific?

Laughing

Anyway, Thompson also goes SIZE in the first round. By that I mean other than Rodgers and Hawk, Thompson has always gone for the offensive line in his time in Green Bay (I don't think he had much power in Seattle as he does here). And there were no offensive or defensive linemen selected in the top ten that year after our pick and the next lineman to be drafted was Ngata at 13, but we were running a completely different defense then. So basically he passed on a tight end, two safeties and a worse linebacker that year in the top ten (and Leinart). I really think Hawk was the best player other than Ngata available to us until the 17th pick, Greenway.
jrock645

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it still makes me sick that he drafted Hawk instead of Ngata. Obviously, there could have been worse picks than Hawk but how much better would this defense be with Ngata?
squire12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrock645 wrote:
it still makes me sick that he drafted Hawk instead of Ngata. Obviously, there could have been worse picks than Hawk but how much better would this defense be with Ngata?

Hindsight is a great thing.
SDN40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't hurt your chances to be drafted by TT if you spent any amount of time sleeping in your car.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobb broke the 5'11" WR rule.

Despite the character Ted pursues, still an average team with the law.

Noticing that the more spiritual types tend to like Green Bay more than the idiot thug types. They also seem to expect less financially.

I suppose I should update the stats from OP.
smetana34

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrock645 wrote:
Oh come on. You can do that in every draft. Ngata at 13 was a reach. At 5 would've been huge

I'm still sick we took Rank over Orakpo. Imagine our defense with he and Clay

Uncle Buck: "I'm expecting Kate Beckinsale to dump her husband and run away with me."

incognito_man wrote:

you probably have better odds of running off with Tebow.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Ted always takes an OL by the 4th round. This OL played tackle in college.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
Oh come on. You can do that in every draft. Ngata at 13 was a reach. At 5 would've been huge

This but not the reach at 13 part. When the Packers were OTC, the Packers had two obvious players and a third lesser option who might have been viewed as a reach with the players still available on the board. AJ Hawk and Vernon Davis were really the only two right choices.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue-Splitter wrote:
Yes, that "spiritual" thing is pretty easy to read into. I know I can't say that he picks players of a certain religious belief, but if you look on the twitters of players Thompson drafts, 97 percent of them will mention a certain thing that I can't mention here that rhymes with Odd. If you unscramble the letters that spell dog, you might get the idea. Am I being too vague? Too specific?

I'm glad I'm not the only who who's noticed this over the years. It's insane how often it's true.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: