Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Larry English continues to look more and more like a bust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeroy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Larry English continues to look more and more like a bust Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/21/larry-english-continues-to-look-more-and-more-like-a-bust/

Quote:
English confirmed to the North County Times that he had foot surgery in March. The Times refers to English’s foot as a “broken-down appendage,” and the fear is that the injury has become chronic.

This is terrible news. Along with Applewhite's DUI, I think this means we could have a rotation of Jyles Tucker, Brandon Lang, and Antwan Barnes at OLB next season. Not good.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this article is kind of stupid. He had it in March. Obviously if it was a big problem, we would have heard about it earlier and the Chargers would have picked an OLB.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Florio is the king of twisting context in quoting other media outlets. Here's the actual NCT article for any that want to read it, the injury isn't made out to sound nearly as "rapture" as Florio and PFT's sensationalism would have everyone believe it:

http://www.nctimes.com/sports/article_85a8156d-6df3-5f23-8d3a-915dd0f749bf.html

Larry English wrote:
"They put another screw in because something was off," he said. "The doctors said it had hadn't healed right or the foot was re-broken. Either way, we had to get it right during the offseason. It feels a lot better now and optimistic about my foot's long term health. Hopefully the second time's the charm."

Though the real quote that has some major relevance here is:
Quote:
The Chargers outside linebacker is in tremendous physical shape and has added muscle mass to his frame.

Do I think this means we're going to completely ignore the OLB position if/when free agency rolls around? No. But it just proves that even associating with NBC now hasn't improved Mike Florio's credibility as a journalist.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Travis LaBoy's name float around with us a LOT. Has anyone really seen him play.

I'm still holdin out for Mathias Kiwianuka but anything would be nice.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
I've heard Travis LaBoy's name float around with us a LOT. Has anyone really seen him play.

I can't say I've seen him with any kind of consistency at OLB; saw him plenty when he was playing DE in Tennessee's DL but that was some years ago. The combination of him missing time for injury and my particular market showing either Chargers, Raiders, or other (Cowboys/Steelers/Packers) games with more regularity than Niners games meant I didn't get to see much of him running the 3-4.

Pros:
Scheme/system familiarity
Size/speed combination

Cons:
Injury history - Sorry, but with the trouble this team has had keeping its players healthy in recent seasons, banking on players with recent injury histories is too risky for my taste.
SF's Talent Eval - Having not seen much tape of him running in the 3-4, I have to go more off of what I've seen of the previous (pre-Harbaugh) administration in their ability to evaluate talent brought to the team. And whereas Justin Smith enjoyed tons of success, there have been a lot of misses by that staff on the defensive side of the ball.

I'd hope we take a look at someone like Jason Trusnik - again, he's not going to push for a starting spot, but he's versatile (can play in or out) and a highly dependable ST'er coming from one of the premier ST units in the league. But really, unless someone is cut or freed from a current RFA tender, there's not a whole lot on the market that wouldn't be just as risky as LaBoy would.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

I can't say I've seen him with any kind of consistency at OLB; saw him plenty when he was playing DE in Tennessee's DL but that was some years ago. The combination of him missing time for injury and my particular market showing either Chargers, Raiders, or other (Cowboys/Steelers/Packers) games with more regularity than Niners games meant I didn't get to see much of him running the 3-4.

Pros:
Scheme/system familiarity
Size/speed combination

Cons:
Injury history - Sorry, but with the trouble this team has had keeping its players healthy in recent seasons, banking on players with recent injury histories is too risky for my taste.
SF's Talent Eval - Having not seen much tape of him running in the 3-4, I have to go more off of what I've seen of the previous (pre-Harbaugh) administration in their ability to evaluate talent brought to the team. And whereas Justin Smith enjoyed tons of success, there have been a lot of misses by that staff on the defensive side of the ball.

I'd hope we take a look at someone like Jason Trusnik - again, he's not going to push for a starting spot, but he's versatile (can play in or out) and a highly dependable ST'er coming from one of the premier ST units in the league. But really, unless someone is cut or freed from a current RFA tender, there's not a whole lot on the market that wouldn't be just as risky as LaBoy would.
There's a descent chance that most RFA tenders are revoked if there's a new CBA.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeroy,

based on what?

Barring a new CBA being agreed upon there is more evidence to support that the 2010 uncapped season rules will remain in effect (i.e. 6 years' service to be eligible for unrestricted free agency) than anything else. All the court ruling to prevent a lockout prevents is an actual lockout occurring. Unless a new CBA is signed, at which point whatever UFA qualifiers that are defined will be effective assuming they are made retroactive to the 2011 offseason, 2011 will be another capless season, thus will be subject to the same rules as 2010 was.

And we're far, far more likely to see an actual new CBA drawn out; particularly if the owners win any sort of leverage on June 3rd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: