Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 California Love Mock
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Jrry32 California Love Mock Reply with quote

Well, it happened. Time to move forward. My number one priority would be Jared Goff. But in this mock, the Browns snatch him up and the Titans are unwilling to trade down to #15. As always, this is what I'd do if I were in Snead's and Fisher's shoes. Alshon Jeffery was franchised in this mock.

Hire
John DeFilippo OC

It seems like Fisher might be getting it. DeFilippo would be an awesome hire. I really hope the Rams don't interview him and then sit on their hands. They need to get this guy here. His passing schemes with the Browns were awesome and he handled their QBs so well. He's like Gregg Williams in that he adjusts his scheme to fit his personnel and makes the most out of them.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Chris Long DE
Nick Foles QB
Rodger Saffold OG

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $55 million (after being franchised)
Trumaine Johnson - 5 years $45 million
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $10.5 million
Greg Zuerlein - 1 year $1 million
Will Hayes - 3 years $9 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $3 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Case Keenum - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $3 million

I can't take any more of Nick Foles at QB. We don't save much when we cut him but he's just not worth the roster spot. Mark Barron filled in admirably for Ogletree but he doesn't really have a spot once Alec comes back. Cutting Chris Long hurts but it's time. He can't stay healthy and his skills are declining. Britt has played well enough this year to keep as a deep threat imo. We bring Case Keenum back as the backup QB. Zuerlein gets a "prove it" deal.

Free Agency

Olivier Vernon DE - 5 years $50 million

Marvin Jones WR - 4 years $24 million

I know what you guys are thinking, "Jerry, why the heck are we paying so much for a DL?" With Chris Long declining and being cut, I think it would be a smart move for the Rams to consider finding a big time talent to replace him. We have a strength...our DL...that is tough for any team to match-up with. I think we need to continue to play that up. Vernon's sack totals don't tell the entire story. He's a disruptive defender that can get after the QB and defend the run at a high level. With the talent on our DL, he'll be a threat for double digit sacks year in and year out while also being an outstanding run defender. Best part of the deal? He's only 25 years old.

I was a little iffy on Jones because he missed all of 2014 with an injury but he's come back and stayed healthy this year. I watched him against Denver and I was impressed with how he played. He got behind their talented corners a couple times on deep balls but McCarron overthrew him. He made some nice catches on the sidelines and ran good routes. He's not a superstar WR but he offers us a quality #2 WR that can get open deep and make plays on the sidelines.

Trade
Rams trade Round 2 Pick #14
Texans trade Round 2 Pick #21 and Round 4 Pick #21

Why would the Texans trade up? I don't know. You could insert pretty much any team in the 19-25 range here. Maybe they go after an OL.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #15 - Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7oT3PpE_Rw
Analysis: I'm not sure if Wentz is as pro ready as Cook and Goff so he might need to sit for part or all of his rookie year. In that case, I'm hopeful that Mannion or Keenum can handle the job until he's ready. Wentz was out injured for most of the year with a broken wrist and he needs to do a better job of protecting himself at the NFL level. He shouldn't be running the way he does in college. He can't be reckless or he'll put us in tough situations. He needs to learn to slide. But I don't think it'll be an issue. Wentz is a good athlete with the mobility to extend plays or take off and run if a seam is there. As a thrower, Wentz has a rifle for an arm which allows him to make the most difficult throws look easy. There isn't a throw on the field that will be off limits to us with Wentz at QB. I've seen him throw a 13-15 yard comeback route from the right hashmark to the left sideline on a rope. That's the type of throw that only a handful of NFL QBs have the arm to make. He's got the type of arm that guys like Aaron Rodgers and Kaepernick have. And he combines that strong arm with accuracy. He's a great thrower with the ability to squeeze the ball into tight windows. Which he had to do more than you'd expect because his WRs at NDSU were not very good. Wentz isn't lacking in pocket presence or poise under pressure. He's not afraid to stand tall and take a shot in order to deliver a pass. He is willing to climb the ladder in the pocket and has no issues throwing over the LOS at 6'5" 230. Wentz will sometimes lock onto a WR but I've seen enough of him to know that he has no issues working through his progressions quickly and finding the checkdown if nothing is there.(he's not Kaepernick) I've also seen enough anticipation throws to make me comfortable although, he needs to be more consistent with his timing on throws. His arm allows him to throw late at times. Wentz's throwing motion is natural and he doesn't possess an elongated release. Wentz's biggest problem right now is his lower body mechanics. He needs to rework his feet and throwing base in order to allow him to move more comfortably in the pocket and throw without having to get his feet set.(I don't mean throw without setting his feet but with how his throwing base currently is, he has to set and then throw when he should be already set as he's scanning through his options when he's not forced off his spot) Wentz also has to keep his feet from becoming static so he doesn't get flat-footed which will help his pocket movement. These issues are all fixable with time and coaching and they will improve his movement in the pocket as well as his accuracy and timing.
NFL Comparison: Carson Palmer

Round 2 Pick #12 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJHNtZ6JoU
Analysis: Boyd hasn't been in as many of my recent mocks but don't think it's because I've cooled on him at all. I've liked this kid since he was a true freshman. At 6'2" 200 pounds, Boyd is not a burner and doesn't offer dominating size and strength. This leads some to doubt whether he'll separate at the next level. People said the same thing about Keenan Allen and quickly found out that Allen had no trouble separating against NFL CBs. The same will be true of Tyler Boyd. While Boyd does not have elite athleticism or size, he does have outstanding acceleration, quickness, fluidity, and body control. He's also a highly intelligent receiver and a nuanced route runner. He makes crisp cuts, he attacks zone coverage effectively, and he understands how to run his routes in order to position the corner across from him to create separation. Due to his body control and awareness, Boyd works the sideline with veteran precision and does an excellent job of getting proper depth on his routes. Boyd also possesses a great pair of hands which allow him to make tough catches in traffic, go up and get the football in jump ball situations, come down with contested catches, and make acrobatic catches on inaccurate passes. He has the occasional concentration drop but that's not out of the ordinary in young players. In addition to that, Boyd is a very dangerous player with the ball in his hands because he has good vision, isn't afraid of contact, and can cut on a dime. He's a very elusive player. Aside from Boyd lacking dominating size and speed, the biggest weaknesses I see in his game are his inconsistent effort while blocking and his attitude. On film, Boyd comes off as a bit of a diva. He's prone to sulking and visible frustration if the ball isn't coming his way or the QB is making mistakes. But that's a pretty common trait in WRs. He'll need to control his temper and show a more consistent motor in the running game at the NFL level.
NFL Comparison: Keenan Allen

Round 2 Pick #21 - Sterling Shepard WR Oklahoma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXCw9SqzcZA
Analysis: I stole the comparison from another poster in the NFL Draft forum but it's a very accurate comparison and I can't disagree. Shepard's game does strongly resemble Doug Baldwin's game. He has the ability to be an absolute terror out of the slot in the NFL. At 5'10" 193, Shepard isn't a big WR. However, he's super twitchy little guy that made play after play for Oklahoma when they needed it the most. Shepard is a crisp route runner with rare explosion out of his breaks. He cuts effortlessly and does a nice job of setting up and attacking defenders when they're vulnerable. He has made a number of spectacular catches during his time at Oklahoma and is capable of going up and getting the football. While Shepard is not a burner, he has acceleration and enough speed to get over the top. Shepard also possesses a very good pair of hands and tracks the ball well. Due to his outstanding body control and field awareness, he works the sideline and end-zone with precision. He's a highly productive player with off the charts intangibles and a high football IQ. And best of all for Jeff Fisher, he's a willing and physical blocker.
NFL Comparison: Doug Baldwin

Round 3 Pick #13 - Scooby Wright III ILB/OLB Arizona
https://youtu.be/4PUWnNxGqYE
Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple and Kentrell Brothers from Missouri are also worth considering. But right now, Wright is being considered a mid round pick due to his lack of measurables and his injury keeping him out all year.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 4 Pick #12 - Bryce Williams TE East Carolina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imwLMD_8MO4
Analysis: Bryce Williams is a former walk-on at East Carolina that has proven himself to be a very intriguing tight end prospect. At 6'6" 260, Williams has NFL size and a frame that still has growth potential. He'll need to get a bit stronger to be able to block in line at the NFL level. However, Williams played FB in the past at East Carolina and is a very willing blocker. His technique needs a lot of refinement but the mechanics are in place and there's no lack of want-to. He actually looked surprisingly good in pass protection when I saw him so there's definitely upside there. As a receiver, he was one of the most productive TEs in college football with 58 catches for 588 yards and 4 TDs this year. Williams displays good agility and burst with solid top-end speed. He's not going to be torching teams up the seam but he has the athleticism to get open in the short to intermediate range. He also is a sure-handed TE that is willing to make catches in traffic, will go up and get the football, and will battle defenders for the ball when it is in the air. He's willing to get physical and use his big body. After the catch, he's got some elusiveness for a big man and doesn't go down without a fight but he's not Rob Gronkowski in terms YAC. Solid overall YAC skills, though. As a rookie, he'll likely see limited snaps. Will need some time to get his blocking up to par and get the pro game down but he should be able to contribute on 3rd downs early on as a reliable target and has potential in the red-zone.
NFL Comparison: Todd Heap

Round 4 Pick #21 - Mike Matthews C Texas A&M
https://youtu.be/6osh3LY1VXk
Analysis: Yep, there's another Matthews. Mike isn't blessed with the size that Jake had but he's definitely got the same sort of athleticism and feet that Jake has. Body is a hindrance. Undersized at 6'2" 290ish and he appears to have short arms. My guess is around 32 inches. Wouldn't be surprised if they're shorter than 32. This does cause him some occasional problems. As a pass blocker, he's an absolute rock. He knows when to help, he's an intelligent player that handles stunts and blitzes well, and I didn't notice any issues with bad snaps. In 1-on-1 situations, he consistently shut his man down. Even when his man lands a jarring blow, Matthews is able to drop his butt and widen his base while establishing proper hand positioning and locking on which allows him to stonewall the bullrush after a step or two. When his man tries to knife past him with agility, Matthews shows great footwork and body positioning to slide with the defender, push him up-field, and position his body between the defender and QB at all times. However, Matthews will occasionally duck his head and lunge at defenders because of his arm length and he doesn't have a powerful punch. Often is catching the defender but he's strong and polished in the lower body which allows him to handle this well. As a pass protector, he looks like a quality player and a pro ready guy. As a run blocker, he needs work. Great movement skills, feet, and fluidity which allows him to reach defenders and pull or attack the second level effortlessly. However, he needs to play under control and use angles better on the second level and in the open-field. Too often misses his man because he doesn't position himself well. When blocking 1-on-1 on the LOS, he has enough sand in his pants to get push but he doesn't sustain blocks well. Again, I think the short arms hurt him here and he needs to play with better leverage. As a run blocker, he certainly has upside especially in a zone blocking scheme but will be hit and miss until his OL Coach polishes some technical aspects of his game. Frankly, I'm shocked that NFL teams don't seem to be higher on the guy as I have him as a Day 2/early Day 3 pick but then again, Center is probably my worst position when it comes to evaluations.
NFL Comparison: Jason Kelce

Round 6 Pick #15 - Ross Martin K Duke
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14439038
Analysis: I agree with all of you that it's time to give Zuerlein some competition. I can easily see Greg winning the competition but he had a rough year (I think Fisher takes a lot of blame in that) and he needs to prove himself. Martin went 26 of 30 (86.7%) this year in college including 4 of 4 from 50+ yards. His kicking percentages over his four years at Duke are 87.0%, 68.4%, 90.5%, and 86.7%. So aside from a rough sophomore year, he's been an extremely reliable kicker. He also hasn't missed a PAT in the last 3 years and only has missed one in his career at Duke. I don't pretend to know kickers but he seems like a good kid to take a shot on.
NFL Comparison: Dan Bailey

Projected Starters
QB: Carson Wentz
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Kenny Britt
ZWR: Marvin Jones
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Jamon Brown
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Garrett Reynolds vs. Cody Wichmann
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Olivier Vernon
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
OLB: Akeem Ayers
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

My hope is that Mike Matthews, Tyler Boyd, Sterling Shepard, Scooby Wright, and Bryce Williams are ready to contribute during some point in their rookie year. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Boyd pushes Britt early on for a starting job as he's a fairly polished kid coming from a pro style offense. I also wouldn't be surprised if Scooby Wright finds a way onto the field as a rookie because he's a very versatile player that Gregg Williams will likely find a way to make use of him. Mike Matthews will probably need to bulk up and improve his run blocking technique before he's ready to play so he might not be ready to start over Barnes in Year 1. Bryce Williams will need to get stronger and improve his blocking. My expectation is that he'll see the field on passing downs once he gets the offense down but probably won't be a full time starter as a rookie.

Off the field? Like when he is grocery shopping, does he block the freezer aisle with his sluggish selection of which hungry man to buy?
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing a WR in free agency and then using two of our top 3 draft picks to draft WR's? I don't like that very much. Outside of that, everything else is fine with me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me up.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
Signing a WR in free agency and then using two of our top 3 draft picks to draft WR's? I don't like that very much. Outside of that, everything else is fine with me.

WR has been a consistent problem for us since the end of the Holt/Bruce days. We drafted our young QB. Might as well give him something to work with.

I've never heard a team say, "Man, we just have too many good WRs."

Plus, the truth is that you don't hit on every pick. I'm covering my behind in case Jones ends up a FA bust or Boyd doesn't pan out. I have a ton of confidence in all three...but you don't always get it right.

Keep in mind that the Rams drafted Trumaine and Janoris in the same year...I don't think they regret that decision now. Wink

Off the field? Like when he is grocery shopping, does he block the freezer aisle with his sluggish selection of which hungry man to buy?
jjab360

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made it known how I feel about Wentz, but if he starts to pick up steam I'd be comfortable with Cook as well, one way or another we need our QB in the 1st. I can't see any other course of action barring something crazy like a trade for Brees or Rivers.

Also a deep, deep WR class and with only Britt and Tavon at WR with the end of both their contracts coming up I could easily see us attacking the position the way we did OL last year. Doesn't really matter to me which receivers it is as long as they are legitimate 2nd round talents and not another Quick or Avery reach.

Great mock imo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
I've made it known how I feel about Wentz, but if he starts to pick up steam I'd be comfortable with Cook as well, one way or another we need our QB in the 1st. I can't see any other course of action barring something crazy like a trade for Brees or Rivers.

Also a deep, deep WR class and with only Britt and Tavon at WR with the end of both their contracts coming up I could easily see us attacking the position the way we did OL last year. Doesn't really matter to me which receivers it is as long as they are legitimate 2nd round talents and not another Quick or Avery reach.

Great mock imo.

Thank you, sir. I also would be good with Connor Cook.

And I did struggle with which WRs to take. It came down to Boyd, Shepard, and Leonte Carroo. I ended up going with Shepard over Carroo because Carroo has character red flags.

l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:

WR has been a consistent problem for us since the end of the Holt/Bruce days. We drafted our young QB. Might as well give him something to work with.

Plus, the truth is that you don't hit on every pick. I'm covering my behind in case Jones ends up a FA bust or Boyd doesn't pan out. I have a ton of confidence in all three...but you don't always get it right.

Keep in mind that the Rams drafted Trumaine and Janoris in the same year...I don't think they regret that decision now. Wink
Meh. Jones and Boyd are fine, but I'd rather not take the 3rd WR in the 2nd round. Offensive lineman or maybe something else instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its definitely different. I give you props for being unique and creative. While I dont think the Free Agency will happen, I wouldnt mind it.

As for the draft, I like it for the most part. I normally wouldnt be a fan of back to back WRs, but you took 2 really talented ones. In addition to Marvin Jones who is very talented as well.

1. Jared Goff
2. Carson Wentz
3. Connor Cook
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:

Meh. Jones and Boyd are fine, but I'd rather not take the 3rd WR in the 2nd round. Offensive lineman or maybe something else instead.

I thought about OL but I'm not so sure that's a need. We drafted all those young guys last year and they actually meshed and played well once guys got healthy near the end of the season.(even without Jamon Brown)

Rrrrrrrams

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a hard time to believe that mark barron (gregg williams favorit player) will not resign with the rams.
you can start thinking about cutting jl (who btw is horrible the last couple years).
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this. The only issue I have, and others have mentioned it, is taking back to back WR while also signing Jones and resigning Britt. I'm ok with 2 WR's taken in the draft overall, but that highly might be a mistake. But, I'd be hard pressed to be upset with this outcome.
Breesus mode

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrry, what would you do if Goff felt to us? Also agree with what you said.

domepatrol91 wrote:
Breesus mode wrote:
I haven't kept up to date on the [inappropriate/removed] rushers in this group

Did you just make the typo I think you did? Laughing
El ramster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our WR's blow.. Quick is a certified bust.. Drops everything in clutch time..

Britt can only run a go route.. And Tavon is a flex player, But is a dynamic one..

Dude should be way better.. Like that player who runs for 400 yards and throws for 200 in Pee wee football..

A man simply loves Jaquen H'ghar.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrrrrrrams wrote:
i have a hard time to believe that mark barron (gregg williams favorit player) will not resign with the rams.
you can start thinking about cutting jl (who btw is horrible the last couple years).

Like I said, this is what I'd do. Not what I anticipate the Rams doing.

I like Barron but he's not a starter if Ogletree returns. I think he's worth more to another team where he starts.

Flatlyner wrote:
I like this. The only issue I have, and others have mentioned it, is taking back to back WR while also signing Jones and resigning Britt. I'm ok with 2 WR's taken in the draft overall, but that highly might be a mistake. But, I'd be hard pressed to be upset with this outcome.

Britt wasn't re-signed. Just not cut. I don't think it's a good idea to be forced to start a rookie WR. Odds are that Britt will be cut if he doesn't improve after 2016 to let Shepard and Boyd see the field more.

Like I said, I'm hedging my bets. Gotta fix the WR problem. If Boyd doesn't pan out, we have Shepard. Or vice versa. If both pan out...well, I doubt anyone complains. If neither pan out, I suck at my job and it doesn't matter who I pick. Laughing

Breesus mode wrote:
Jrry, what would you do if Goff felt to us? Also agree with what you said.

Draft him. Laughing Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: