Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

L.J. Shelton/newly revised off season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potentia_ceteri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: L.J. Shelton/newly revised off season Reply with quote

apparently the bears are looking into acquiring LJ Shelton. THis changes a lot of things in my past offseason. he is a very good starter and would probably command at least 3rd round pick and a player. here is my trade:

Bears get:
LJ Shelton

Cardinals Get:
4th rd pick this year
Michael Haynes

The great depth at d-line makes this trade feasible. This does leave a whole at the #3 spot for DE, but Tank and Tommie are quick enough to convert if the situation arises. Ian Scott has proven himself as a decent DT to spell which ever nose tackle decides to man the outside. If angelo still feels a need to add a little more security to DE he could always add Okeafor or Raheem Brock on the cheap. If this Trade goes down, here is my new offseason.

Free agents:
TE becht or alexander-like i said before good blocking and receiving tight ends.

WR Houshmanzadeh or Troy edwards-rather have TJ because of youth and productivity, but edwards is a good 2nd receiver who could mentor the younger ones.

OG Ben hamilton-despite shelton acquisition, he could spell numerous positions on the o-line and be good at it.

Re-sign R-DUb-speed on both sides with long arms is hard to replace. he shouldn't command serious money unless a team is crazy.

Draft:
1st round-Mike williams-obvious need and obvious choice. If san diego or another team moves up, i'd stay with braylon. both are neck and neck as prospects.

2nd round-RB Ciatrick Fason or Vernand Morency-with the OL repaired, this is a luxury pick, but a luxury pick well spent. Fason only weakness being experience and Morency showing flashes of LT, how could you go wrong with either, and i am sure they'll both be available here.

5th round-S Ben Emanuel-Great size and speed with good athletic ability. Good coverage skills and has the versatility to play both safety positions. think younger mike green at 6'3"

6th round-K Rhys Lloyd- I know I keep picking him over other kickers. But a kicker with steel nerves, versatility(kick, punt, kickoffs), and 50+ with decent accuracy is nothing to overlook. he apparently has a fun personality too.

7th round-C-Rob Hunt-tough and durable with great leadership intangibles who needs to build strength and bulk to stick, but a decent project at this point. If OLBs Boomer Grigsby or Jordan Beck are available, which i highly doubt, i would pounce on those in the fifth or sixth and move lloyd down to this spot.

-If you are wondering why i left out OLB or OT is because of the trade. With the OT position filled, there is no need to use a pick just fill-in a prospective OT role, as the bears could always find an OT prospect next year with shelton in place. As for the OLB, well, they could rejuvenate via free agency, but i believe their depth and the productivity of their defense last year proves that they could wait on that for at least a year or bring in somebody with decent meaurables and a small price tag. Mark fiels wouldn't be a bad option, as he is not only a good linebacker but could be a great mentor to the younger ones. however he is old. Now this offeseason, with a legitimate OT, could not only make the playoffs, but a contender if all prospects contribute as expected. Go BEars!
potentia_ceteri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what, switch Ben hamilton with Kurt warner. Yes, warner has been the royal pain with the giants and has a lot of pride, but if he decides that he can accept a backup role, he would certainly knock hutchinson to third and others out of the picture. grossman is the obvious starter and could turn out to be pretty good, but if he takes another spill like last year, you can bet they'll be lookin young QB next year. If that does happen, Warner could come in and rally the bears with experience and whatever is left of his talent. He may be fragile, but with the improved o line, he should be a little less brittle. And if grossman does endure the season, there aren't many QB teachers better than warner as he was more a cerebral QB than a physical Brett FAvre-type. With warner they have a great insurance policy, a great teacher, and gives the offense several chances to win some games on their own.
Mountain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whos LJ shelton
potentia_ceteri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ Shelton is a young, talented left tackle who is recently coming off an injury. Awesome athlete for 6'6" 360, great footwork, and a good to very good pass protector. But he does have that killer instinct, and tends to get fat and out of shape. comparable to Flozell Adams on his best days. more qasim mitchell on his worst.
redwing5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bears don't need an OT that bad w/ tait at left. I trust the hard work ethic of colombo after all he actually is supposed to be a left tackle Angelo you idoit! But w/ our surplus of cb's RW for Shelton plus a 5th or 6th sounds good to me What do you guys think?
potentia_ceteri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't believe you saw the same bears team that got sacked a record 76 times last season. Yes they did have a lot of injuries, but it was also inexperience on the line. I do like columbo and mitchell battling at the right, but at this point they are still projects. Columbo is still ironing out the kinks of two years under wraps with not a great deal of nfl experience and mitchell is a montster for the run, but a guzzled gas tank at the end of the game. LJ Shelton would not only provide depth but would solidify the right side of the offense. He may not be as consistent as tait, but he is a helluva lot more consistent than those two. As for R-dub being traded, i see him as being cut because of that big 3million dollar salary, and then resigned. no team would trade for him with a salary like that. He's good, but not 3 million annually good. Angelo is in a win now mode. But has to go for a trade seeing as they are staring at maybe 2.5 million in free agency money.
redwing5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potentia_ceteri
your right, but with tait at left and no stupid qbs to afraid to throw so they just hold it like their teddy bear that it causes even more pressure to come.
So... the bears do need a OT WR and new back up QB
Still they have many corners and I think that RW is decent trade bait.
The bears could trade RW AND Haynes for Shelton and a low rd pick. that should sway the cards who i hear are getting more eager o trade the disgruntled Shelton.

PS According to askthecommish.com the bears are more the 16 mil under the cap and should have about 10 mil for free agency.
Los Osos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be a huge cap hit if the bears traded Haynes?
W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one outside of the massive injuries we took on the line we had 3 rookie( or close to rookie) QB's taking snaps, secondly we had the worst system for a rookie QB to understand, the moron had them taking 7 step drops like half the time.
Our line can be real good, alot of it was the system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: