Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mods - Please lock!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Mods - Please lock!! Reply with quote

Old thread is almost 100 pages and I don't think Tdub has posted in awhile.

Time for us to take the Central....again Wink

2011 Projected Lineup
1. Denard Span CF
2. Tsuyoshi Nishioka 2B
3. Joe Mauer C
4. Justin Morneau 1B
5. Michael Cuddyer RF
6. Delmon Young LF
7. Jason Kubel DH
8. Danny Valencia 3B
9. Alexi Casilla SS

2011 Starting Rotation
1. Carl PAvano
2. Fransisco Liriano
3. Scott Baker
4. Brian Duensing
5. Nick Blackburn

Some questions entering 2011 season
1. Will we see Justin Morneau return to his old form?

2. Will Joe Nathan be a top 3 closer in baseball again?

3. Have we finally found our second basemen in Nishioka?

4. Was Valencia a one year wonder at 3rd base?

5. Will there be enough at bats for Cuddyer, Thome, Kubel, and Young?

6. Can our bullpen with the losses of Crain, Rauch and Guerrier still be successful?

7. Is a rotation of Pavano, Liriano, Baker, Duensing, and Blackburn good enough to win the central again?

8. Are the Twins even after the moves the White Sox and Tigers made the best team in the Central?

9. Will Casilla finally take advantage of his opportunity to start?

10. What player is most likely to be traded if the Twins need to make a move to improve the team?

Season starts April 1st @ Toronto

Last edited by Vikefan79 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 37 times in total
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright time to answer questions:

1. I think he returns near that, I also think that we will see him DH'ed more often and more Cuddyer at first and Kubel in right than we have in previous years.

2. So far he has looked good in spring training with three scoreless outings. I think that he will be top 10, not back 100% though, and I think that Capps will get some chances too, just to keep Nathan from being over worked.

3. I am going to say yes, but I'm also going to say that he isn't elite. I think he is going to be a solid hitter .280 average with a little gap power and a decent OBP, which I'll take.

3. My thoughts on Valencia are that he's been hitting this spring, I see no reason that he isn't the third basemen for a little while longer for the Twins. He might not be a masher at third, but he is going to be solid.

5. Trying to figure out this one, I'm going to say "no", and the reason for the quotes is because there are going to be enough at bats for Cuddyer, Kubel, and Young, but Thome, not as much, but having Thome as a pinch hitter is a pretty good thing.

6. If history has taught us one thing with the Twins bull pen, every year it is considered to be a weakness, and every year it does well, will it be as statistically good as last year, I doubt it, but with Nathan back and Neshek back we have a solid foursome back there with Capps and Mijares, there will be rough patches, but overall it will be solid.

7. It is good enough to compete, if we win the Central again or not is going to depend on the batting order. The starting staff will keep us in games, but, it will depend on the likes of Delmon Young and Jason Kubel if the Twins win the central or not.

8. It is going to be very tough, like it always is. I have faith in the Twins, but I have a feeling it is going to be a dog fight the whole way through.

9. Define take advantage, play good defense and bat better than Nick Punto, yes, he will do that, will he have a repeat of 2008, I doubt it, I think he will have a 2010 type of season, where he batted a decent .270, but I don't have faith in him to play much better than that.

10. Jason Kubel, has value as a power bat to many other teams and would clear up a log jam and potentially make room for someone like Ben Revere to take over a starting OF position and Cuddyer to make the move to 1B and Morneau to DH.

The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morneau got some action today in a B game, he doubled and drove in two and grounded out in the two at bats that I know of, and he scored a run on a bloop single and slid into home plate.

Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
Morneau got some action today in a B game, he doubled and drove in two and grounded out in the two at bats that I know of, and he scored a run on a bloop single and slid into home plate.

Very good to hear!
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Hughes play SS?

I wouldn't mind giving him a shot over Casilla at SS if his fielding is up to par.

With regards to Valencia, I like the solid 3B projection. Not a huge hitter, but a solid .280 BA

Biggest issue for us to win the Central this year will be pitching.

If Liriano can continue to play at high level, and Slowey and Baker put in better years and Duensing takes a step forward, then we have a good shot to win the central.

I really wanted up to improve the OF D to be honest.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/271793?eref=fromSI

While Twins Nation looks for some news on when Joe Mauer might start catching again, a would-be battery mate is also being watched closely: Kevin Slowey. Toronto had three scouts -- including one with a video camera -- watching Slowey during his three-inning outing during the B-game. The Blue Jays have relievers to offer if they want to make a play for Slowey.
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Nathan didn't look so good today. Confused
Since I like the twins a little I don't really want to see you guys play bad.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNabbMcFadden wrote:
Joe Nathan didn't look so good today. Confused
Since I like the twins a little I don't really want to see you guys play bad.

He'll be fine. Nathan is just getting rid of some rust. Happens to the best of them.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/118292389.html

Quote:
Plouffe, outfielder Ben Revere and righthander Alex Burnett were optioned to Class AAA Rochester. Catcher Danny Rams and infielder Matt Brown were reassigned to the minor league camp.

I wonder if Hughes will be able to be out Tolbert for that last infielder spot.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mauer had a great game today.
iavikefn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently Pat Neshek has been traded.

"I just got news that I am now a member of the San Diego Padres, packing up & heading west."

[url]http://twitter.com/#!/PatNeshek/status/49527294317953024[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read he was claimed off waivers. That kinda sucks!
Robbroy45

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The 2011 Thread of the Minnesota Twins Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Old thread is almost 100 pages and I don't think Tdub has posted in awhile.

Time for us to take the Central....again Wink

2011 Projected Lineup
1. Denard Span CF
2. Tsuyoshi Nishioka 2B
3. Joe Mauer C
4. Justin Morneau 1B
5. Michael Cuddyer RF
6. Delmon Young LF
7. Jason Kubel DH
8. Danny Valencia 3B
9. Alexi Casilla SS

2011 Starting Rotation
1. Carl PAvano
2. Fransisco Liriano
3. Scott Baker
4. Brian Duensing
5. Nick Blackburn

Some questions entering 2011 season
1. Will we see Justin Morneau return to his old form?

He will be rusty for a month or two, but will heat up heading into the All-Star Break and tear up the 2nd half.

2. Will Joe Nathan be a top 3 closer in baseball again?

No, him and Capps will split closing duties for a while, and one will get traded based on performance.

3. Have we finally found our second basemen in Nishioka?

As long as he proves to be an effective fielder, since we all know he can hit and run with ease. If he can make throws and turn double plays effectively then yes.

4. Was Valencia a one year wonder at 3rd base?

No, he looked really good in Rochester from what I saw, and he can be a very good player with another year under his belt.

5. Will there be enough at bats for Cuddyer, Thome, Kubel, and Young?

If Morneau has to rest for a little while, then yes, but when he comes back and becomes an everyday player again, it will be tough.

6. Can our bullpen with the losses of Crain, Rauch and Guerrier still be successful?

Yes, they were all pretty overhyped, they have effective guys in the minors and they can always make trades involving guys like Plouffe, Hughes, etc. if we have to.

7. Is a rotation of Pavano, Liriano, Baker, Duensing, and Blackburn good enough to win the central again?

Swap Blackburn with Slowey and yes, it is.

8. Are the Twins good enough even after the moves the White Sox and Tigers made the best team in the Central?

It may take another one of those famous late season runs and maybe a 1 game playoff again, but they are definitely still good enough to be the best team.

9. Will Casilla finally take advantage of his opportunity to start?

There isn't a lot of competition with Hudson and Punto gone, so yes, and Gardy seems to really like him, so he'll stick around regardless.

10. What player is most likely to be traded if the Twins need to make a move to improve the team?

Scott Baker, Nick Blackburn, or Kevin Slowey, unless one is traded before the season.

Season starts April 1st @ Toronto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110322&content_id=17070068&vkey=news_min&c_id=min

Quote:
The Twins finalized their starting rotation on Tuesday, with manager Ron Gardenhire deeming right-hander Scott Baker the fifth starter while Kevin Slowey will start the season in the bullpen.

Baker was once our opening day starter. Laughing

Slowey will definitely be trade bait unless someone gets injured. I don't see him in Minnesota past the trade deadline.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110322&content_id=17070068&vkey=news_min&c_id=min

Quote:
The Twins finalized their starting rotation on Tuesday, with manager Ron Gardenhire deeming right-hander Scott Baker the fifth starter while Kevin Slowey will start the season in the bullpen.

Baker was once our opening day starter. Laughing

Slowey will definitely be trade bait unless someone gets injured. I don't see him in Minnesota past the trade deadline.

I think there is a decent chance that Blackburn bombs and Slowey takes over for him, but if Blackburn pitches well, then I agree, Slowey will be gone by the deadline to an NL team that needs pitching for a final playoff push.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: