You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trim the Fat???

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeRoy36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Trim the Fat??? Reply with quote

I have been reading and hearing about this for sometime so I thought I would do a post about it. Apparently Mike and Jag want to get the team together as soon as they can, meaning right after the draft every player is going to have to come in (and they mean every player lol). But they have talked about holding offseason workouts and meeting for the players so they can get a jump on the new season. One of the big things that both Mike and Jag want to do is trim down the oline. This means the big boys, Clifton, Barry, and Whitticker are going to have to slim down.

Jag dream is to have no heavier than 300, which all three guys i named are 330s. Even more scary for this guys is that Jag wants only 20% body fat. This will become very interesting because the guys that fit Jags scheme the best are Tauscher, Flanny (if he returns), Coston, White, and Wells. So the rookies will have a good shot at becoming the starters.

Now there is the draft so its likely that an oline guy will be taken. But it also brings me to the question, and i know we have talked about it but still, does GB trade Clifton for like a second (like to the Texans seeing how Sherman is there???) and take Ferguson, who is small and speedy???

I know we all have said yes to Ferguson because he would help the line but what about trading Clifton?? I mean I dont want to move Tauscher unless Barry can be a great T. So like a line of (Left to Right) Ferguson, Wells, Flan, Coston, Tauscher. Or if Flan leaves Ferguson, Wells, White , Tauscher/Coston, Barry/ Tauscher.

I mean I think it would be interesting because weight wise we dont seem to have the type of guys to fit this scheme. Clifton, Barry, and Whittcker are too big and slow. Clifton has some speed but I wonder if its enough???
INGADOWETRUST

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clifton isn't really fat. He is pretty solid in a bulky way. Then again I don't know what his body fat is either. Tauscher is a big bag of doughnuts and Whitticker and Barry could shed some lbs. Maybe mm and Jags can get some advice from davenport and go to one of those curve places or whatever the name of the place he went to. I would take the trade of Clifton going to Texans and end up with 3 picks in the top 36 picks. Take Ferguson in the first, the two picks in the second u would possibly have the options of Thomas Howard, Carpenter, Ko Simpson, Bing, Lawson, Calhoun. Who should we take the other two picks.
DaPack!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is what Jags wants to do, then I would be for it. Don't think Texans would give us #33, but hey maybe if they get Sherm. Maybe we could unload some other of Sherm's boys on the poor Texans. Clifton would really help them and I don't think they could draft anyone better at that pick. Maybe....
LeRoy36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i think there could be alot if GB had the 33 and 36 pick. They could go with Jackson and like Howard and basically set your LB group. But more likely Howard and Jennings CB from Miami. Also Tapp could be taken. I mean there are alot fo things they could do. Heck Ted could trade one of them and get more picks. But a Ferguson, Howard, Jenning would be pretty sweet.

I dont think Bing falls, or Sims and Carpenter because people have Carpenter going to Cleveland at 12!!! And Sims going as high as 22 and as low as 31. Lawson maybe there soo if we want to have a LB that has a nose of rushing the QB (like Poppinga) he maybe a good pick up. Again its just an idea. I am still in the camp of DeAngelo (if Offense) and Mario( if Defense).

Plus i didnt want to start a new thread but does anyone have a clue if Ted will tag a play??? The two most likely are Kampman or Longwell. So only ask because the due date to name a tag is coming up soon. Or do none of your FAs get tagged???
RatedT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think that Thomas Howard is pretty overrated. Like a lot of people said, yes, he's got pretty rare speed for the position. But he just can't get through the blockers. He relied on his athleticism and lacks LBer instinct. He's decent at coverage, but definitely not a good tackler(from what i saw from the bowl game and senior bowl). Since we drafted Carrol, I cannot trust those guys who only relied on their athletic ability any more. And that why I have the same feeling with Mario Williams.
PackerBacker56

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade Clifton???

Are you guys nuts???

He our best offensive lineman who has protected Favre's blindside for the last 5 years. No way we trade for a second rounder, plus the Texans are in a building stage so they would rather have a young player than a player who is 29. Come on guys get real.
blacktower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackerBacker56 wrote:
Trade Clifton???

Are you guys nuts???

He our best offensive lineman who has protected Favre's blindside for the last 5 years. No way we trade for a second rounder, plus the Texans are in a building stage so they would rather have a young player than a player who is 29. Come on guys get real.

Amen! Keep the quality players and build around them. We know what Clifton can do. No one knows what Ferguson will do.
LeRoy36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off the best lineman was Tauscher. Clifton lead the team in penalties, 10. Plus i wont forget him letting guys come free, on two spread plays, to hit Rodgers in the back to make him cough up the ball.

Plus Texans are rebuilding??? What do you think GB is doing??? Unless Favre comes back and Ted gets some big name guys this team is rebuilding too. I was just saying Clifton is getting older and as far as the scheme he may not fit all that well.

I am sure we wont trade him, all I am doing is ccoming up with ideas on how the team could get better.
planc33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the honor of meeting 3 of the 5 offensive linemen at Andussie's when the pack played the Falcons at Lambeau during the regular season about three years ago. (that was the game where it was a 100 degrees on the field in September, crazy) I assure you that "trim the fat" does not apply to Clifton. This guy was freakishly ripped for an offensive lineman. He is huge and in shape. Tauscher, well the guy is a dough boy, but he gets the job done and done well. Will him dropping weight make him better? I think that it could, but it also might hurt him being able to hold the point of attack. Whittaker is a tub and a sub-par NFL guard. He filled in honorably, but he is not the long term solution. I think that our o-line will be fine if we draft or sign two guards who can pull. Nothing makes me more excited that seeing a o-lineman 10-15 yard downfield rippin' up on linebackers and safeties (well, I guess seeing Favre 30 yards downfield laying out Robert Porcher tops the list) I know that the whole zone blocking thing sounds sexy, but it is nothing without athletic guards. Weight has nothing to do with it, as long as they can carry it well. Making them drop weight will not make them athlitic. And as far as Clifton leading the O-line in penalties, I would guess that is pretty much average for a NFL left tackle. I am not going to look up the stats to back up that argument. It is so much easier to let someone prove me wrong.
westjm03

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think we will tag anyone this year i dont think TT want to pay kampman as much as tagging him would be.
planc33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westjm03 wrote:
i dont think we will tag anyone this year i dont think TT want to pay kampman as much as tagging him would be.

Agreed, but I hope we make an honest effort to keep him. He is not worth elite money, but I love the guys heart and moter. If KGB had 50% of Kampmans heart, he would be scary.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: