You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brian Westbrook
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philly Irish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Brian Westbrook Reply with quote

what are u guys opinoins on brian westbrook???

i would love 2 see the guy in a reggie bush at usc type role. line up at wr a lot, returning kicks, punts n 10 r so rushes a game

this season i feel he lined up as a running back too much not takin full advantage of his many talents. tomlinson is the only other running back recieving skills even close to this guy.

i feel lined up at wr for 15-20 snaps a game he could make a major impact, as he has amazing short area quickness(similar to steve smith without the deep speed) and is too fast for almost any linebacker or safety to cover, yet too big for most cornerbacks to cover. so could cause major matchup problems, especially if on the field at the same time as ryan moats.

so what are ur opinions on him? how should he be used by the eagles?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, he creates a lot of mismatches. I hope we get a big back in the offseason so we can have a power run game to go along with moats and westbrook. I'm starting to get excited about our offense this year. Very Happy
eagles101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes not to big for a cornerback. we just need a big time wr like pick up reggie wayne or something so the first string wr doesnt always line up agianst him
Phreak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Westbrook was at his best when we had the 3-headed monster. He is not the kind of player who can be the main focus at RB. I think if we get a good commitee going, we can use Westbrook like we used him back in 2003/2004 and let him reak havoc.

I've been telling everybody that if you just give me a chance to put the ball in my hands, I can get the job done. - Brian Westbrook
Philly Irish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
hes not to big for a cornerback. we just need a big time wr like pick up reggie wayne or something so the first string wr doesnt always line up agianst him

i like my chances with a running back on a corner any time in the short passing game especially one with great recieving skills like westbrook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:

Eagles101, I haven't seen you around here in a long time. How have you been?

I've been telling everybody that if you just give me a chance to put the ball in my hands, I can get the job done. - Brian Westbrook
Philly Irish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phreak wrote:
eagles101 wrote:

Eagles101, I haven't seen you around here in a long time. How have you been?

Is that not what pms are for? arent u a moderator?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crying myself to sleep durin the season lol

i dk i jus stop comin but i missed it so im back
mpmfootball

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howa bout playin west a few more times at wr but not to much and as for a big rb we get moe williams from min as a vetran big runner who would be cheap or mb ron dayne from denver
mpmfootball

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howa bout playin west a few more times at wr but not to much and as for a big rb we get moe williams from min as a vetran big runner who would be cheap or mb ron dayne from denver
Sandman38

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. West is at this best receiving when coming out of the backfield and lining up in the slot. Reason being, 9 times out 10 a linebacker draws the assingment and we've all seen the outcome of that. I also agree that he's runs his best when his carries are limited (ie. 3 headed monster)
Playmakers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Brian Westbrook Reply with quote

Philly Irish wrote:
what are u guys opinoins on brian westbrook???

i would love 2 see the guy in a reggie bush at usc type role. line up at wr a lot, returning kicks, punts n 10 r so rushes a game

this season i feel he lined up as a running back too much not takin full advantage of his many talents. tomlinson is the only other running back recieving skills even close to this guy.

i feel lined up at wr for 15-20 snaps a game he could make a major impact, as he has amazing short area quickness(similar to steve smith without the deep speed) and is too fast for almost any linebacker or safety to cover, yet too big for most cornerbacks to cover. so could cause major matchup problems, especially if on the field at the same time as ryan moats.

so what are ur opinions on him? how should he be used by the eagles?

I agree 110% with your opinion on Westbrook. Think back to that playoff game our superbowl year vs. Minnesota. Reid used westbrook alot as a WR cuz owens was out and look what he did he was unstoppable. Whatever people want to believe Westbrook is a very poor runner in heavy doses. Like many of you have said when he has limited carries and is the change of pace guy he can be effective.

The perfect scenario would be to do just what you said Philly Irish which is use him more as a WR and give him limited carries then they need to bring in a talented back who can work between the tackles and let him and moats do the majority of runnin and westbrook be the 3rd down back/WR/big play rb. If everyone remembers the 3 headed back year westbrook would always make big plays long runs and what not. Ever since he got the full time nod, that ended. Thats because westbrook isnt strong at all and really isnt fast hes quick and there is a big diff. It is easy for a defense to contain him in the run game becasue he is no longer the change of pace but the constant pace in the runnin game.

Sorry for the long post but I feel that Westbrook's talents as a runner are way overratted but his talents as a WR are way underused. He could bring another dimension to this offense if Reid got his head out of his a** and saw the need for a legite running back and a somewhat balanced run attack. 45% run 55% pass is that to much to ask.
Philly Irish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly playmakers

here are some stats bout westbrook i posted on another thread

over rated as a runner definately

but as a pass catcher he is one of if not the best outta the back field or lined up in the slot.

his versitility is what makes him so valuable

he had 4 recieving tds this year, 2nd in the league amongst rbs, playing only 12 games. his yards per game was 11.1 ahead of any other running back. was also 2nd in the league in receptions. had 14.9 more pyg recieving than any other rb in 2004.

he is a perfect fit for the philly pass first system

over rated as a runner i agree with, but there is so much to his game i dont believe he is an over rated player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philly Irish wrote:

over rated as a runner definately

but as a pass catcher he is one of if not the best outta the back field or lined up in the slot.

his versitility is what makes him so valuable

he had 4 recieving tds this year, 2nd in the league amongst rbs, playing only 12 games. his yards per game was 11.1 ahead of any other running back. was also 2nd in the league in receptions. had 14.9 more pyg recieving than any other rb in 2004.

he is a perfect fit for the philly pass first system

over rated as a runner i agree with, but there is so much to his game i dont believe he is an over rated player

I 100% agree with your view on Westbrook and it's comforting to know that other people see Westbrook for what he is. Don't get me wrong I love him and think hes a great player to have but I feel like Mugato from Zoolander Like im taking crazy pills. Why cant the Eagles see how much of a weapon that man can be if he was used properly. I know that he gets a good amount of catches my problem is that he needs to run more WRish type routes rather than the overuse of the screen or dump off. I realize that the quick hit to the RB can beat the blitz im not talkin about that. I mean they need to add to the playbook plays where he lines up in the slot and runs med to deep routes, or where he starts in the backfeild goes in motion and runs a route. Eagles need to be creative with the way that they use Westbrook.

And as far as a running RB I think we all know he is highly overratted. His problem isnt his size which most ppl think is the case. I realize that big bigger backs are harder to take down but his main problem is his vision as a runner HE HAS NONE. He takes everything to the outside even plays designed to go up the middle or where its obvious the hole is up the middle. Look at Warrick Dunn a little guy but a great runner because he has vision and follows/sets up his blocks. This is why the eagles need a legite back in here to carry the load with the carries have Westbrook as a change of pace back and I gaurentee that if he was a change of pace back not the primary back youd see him break off some long runs. The only problem with getting another back in here is will Reid commit to the running game enough to share between 2 backs or even 3. Thats what the most frustrating part is, is that if we were to bring in a back from the draft who is a good runner he'd be wasted on the limited carries he'd get. Westbrook whether we like it or not is gonna get his carries and after what moats showed last year he prob will get some too. With the low amount of times that we run I cant see a 3 back system in here working. And for that matter I cant see a 2 back system with Westbrook and Moats as your 1-2 punch working

Philly Irish What do you think about (With the low amount of times that we run I cant see a 3 back system in here working. And for that matter I cant see a 2 back system with Westbrook and Moats as your 1-2 punch working)
Behan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Not quite sold Reply with quote

I definately agree with everyone who has said 36West is a mismatch every play in the passing game. LBs and Ss simply cannot cover the guy, and he makes tough catches going over the middle (see the SB).

I'm not sold that he can't run the ball effectively yet, though, because the middle of the line was slop for most of the last two years. And, the Birds FB play has sucked ever since Rithcie went down. How can WB or any other runner succeed with the DTs in the backfield as soon as they touch the ball? The o-line allowed way too much penetration over the past two years, and there was noone to pick up a guy who got into the backfield.

If Andy gets a half-decent FB, and they get the kid from Georgia or Clarke pans out, the Eagles and WB could be much more effective at pounding the ball.

The big back I like is Jonathan Wells, from Houstan. Not a great YPC, but a tough runner with a good success %, and alittle bit of FB in him. If he is a FA or RFA, he's worth a look. He'll probably come fairly cheap, too.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: