Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post your grades for 2015 Dallas Cowboys draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Post your grades for 2015 Dallas Cowboys draft Reply with quote

With the 2015 draft now over, I thought it would be a nice idea with a thread where we can post our grades for the draft.

Here's mine:

1, #27) Byron Jones, CB C+
This is obviously a very athletic guy. I love all his potential, but the guy just haven't done enough for me to love him as a first round selection. Especially with a guy like Brown on the board! Don't get me wrong, it's not like he played like a scrub in college, he just didn't play as a 1st rounder. Based on tape only, there was a couple of 2nd rounders I think played better then him in college. I think this was a pretty average pick

2, #60) Randy Gregory, DE A+
A gifted athletic player, who has produced in college. I expected this guy to slide, but only to the #27 range. No doubt his mental state and his weight, really has led GM's around the league to worry. But potential surely outweights risk for this guy in 2nd- he has the potential to be dominant and getting a guy formerly projected as a top 5 talent in the late 2nd is huge. Especially when it covers a need.

3) Chaz Green, OT C
I don't see the need or the talent to warrant a 3rd round selection. I think Free is set as the starter for a couple of years more, which means we only need a swing tackle. If I believed green was good value here, i obviously would be okay with it but I don't. IMO he was not near the BPA, but atleast it wasn't us taking Rob Havenstein in the 2nd.. Laughing I could see the guy end up being a good player

4) Damien Wilson, LB B-
In what little i've been able to see of him, I think he looked okay for a 4th rounder. I sure like the idea of picking up a LB'er with Sean Lee being injury prone, McClain having dealt with injuries as well while being on a 1-year contract and with all the new backups brought in looking like nothing more then backups. The thing that I don't understand though, is how they could pass on Michael Bennett?! Should be a perfect scheme fit, I guess they like Gardner as a backup 3

5) Ryan Russell, DE B-
A strong guy with some quickness to him. With Hardy's 10 game suspension, Gregory's ? marks and Gardner possibly being moved to the 3-tech, getting a talented guy here for depth isn't a bad thing even with his lack of production. But still, why not Bennett?

7a) Mark Nzeocha, LB F
Another linebacker, really? We are filled with depth on LB'er, so I'd rather have seens us taking a position where they have a shot at sticking like DT, safety, WR, CB or OL. With the whopping 2 minutes of play I've seen on him, I wasn't impressed either. Also, he had an ACL injury his last season. On top of that, he's alrady 25 years old.

7b) Laurence Gibson, OT A-
I think this guy has talent on what limited I know about him, I have no preblem picking up a depth guy for the o line, especialy with his experience from a zone blocking scheme.

7c) Geoff Swaim, TE B+
I like that they bring in what I've heard was maybe the best blocking TE in the whiole draft while being pretty athletic, what I don't like is trading up to get a guy with 10 catches and a TD. But I would love to get a great blocking TE, since he likely would bring a lot more value to the team then Hanna.

Overall grade: B-

I think the draft overall was pretty average, getting Gregory in the 2nd surely brings up the grade.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft is a really tough one for me to grade. I remember saying last year that the draft would really come down to how well Lawrence plays because it was a given that Martin would be good on the OL and Lawrence cost us both the 2 and 3 picks. I kinda feel the same way this year. I think Jones will be solid. After that, the grade of the draft will depend on how well Gregory adapts to the NFL.

I'm happy with the defensive emphasis this year but a little disappointed we didn't end up with a RB when some good ones fell to the 3rd.
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C+

Value on some of the picks were off to me, but the positions were fine in the end. We got two OL that people were high on, and we have had success on coaching OL up recently so I would like to see us have depth there.

Jones as a CB A++ him as a FS B+. Love to see him and Scandrick be our future for a bit. However if the best bet is Carr/Scandrick and rotate Church/Wilcox at SS with Jones at FS it still helps our coverage a lot.

We went from not being able to get to the QB to maybe having too much talent at rushing (I know that's not a thing). Hope we can make Gregory work out.

Draft one LB was ok, if he can be Hitchens 2.0 none of use can really complain. The second was a complete waste.

Wasted a 6th trading up for a blocking TE, I know it's only a 6th but for blocking TE? Sure we could have had him UDFA but whatever.

Good UDFA haul. Goodley could become our 5th WR. That Bridge kid at QB could push Vaughn out of a job. Chucky Hunter, DT out of TCU has a real chance to stick as a one tech which I am excited for really. If he does this draft becomes a B- for me.

Overall it makes our team better but I still see holes at RB and DT which could have been addressed over some of the depth picks we made. We started out with an A through the first 2 rounds and slowly it started turning into trying to fill depth and guys we wanted over just getting some value on slipping players. The team is better by far on D, yet to see how McFadden/Randle handle the RB duties and if the O takes a huge step back because of that.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First three picks an A. Balance of draft a D. If Gregory produces like he should we might forget about picks 4-7.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B

Jones and Gregory have elite potential. Don't think I need to go any further there. Gibson in the 7th was a better pick than Green in 3rd. David Johnson and Carl Davis going 5 and 1 pick before stings and there are 2-3 picks following Green that I really like better. Plus, Gibson from majority of what I've seen has a ton of upside, moreso than what Green appears to have. I get the Wilson pick in rd 4. Dallas may have a bunch of LBs, but also have a bunch of question marks. I love the Russell pick. I think there is some untapped potential now that he is in a scheme that fits him. The other picks Nzeocha and Swaim, lost me. Another LB and trading a 6th next yr for Swain just doesn't do a great deal for me. Though I do believe Swain is probably expected to replace Hanna.

While I'm nowhere near as concerned about the RB situation as some, I did expect a RB in the mix at some point.

All in all, I pretty happy with it, plus Dallas stuck to there board which has served them very well over past couple seasons.

Kiltman on sig
RYAN RUSSELL FAN CLUB
Maverick41

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.

Gregory and Jones are top 20 talents, so it's amazing we got them where we did. Chaz Green - while often hurt - grades pretty well as a 2nd round type talent.

But our most glaring hole - running back - was not touched. The quality of the players drafted after the first two picks is irrelevant because they didn't fix what was broken.

bossvegas wrote:
yup stole a stop sign and tried to help push over a light pole during a riot. But to be fair some people just don't like traffic signs
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall an A-to a B+

You have 2 different drafts to me, you have the first 2 rounds and then the rest although there was some decent picks late.

1st and 2nd rounds gets an A+ even though I was screaming for Malcom Brown. I will also contend to the end that Brown would have been the better pick BUT Jones has the talent at a position of need and Gregory is top 15 talent wise. So 2 picks in the top 60 and we get 2 top 15 picks, awesome.

3rd round pick Chaz Green has 18 starts in his career and has missed 20+ games with an injury. So thats 3 people in our first 5 picks that have injury concerns regardless of if our training staff and doctors has signed off on them. Laurence Gibson was actually a more exciting pick for me.

The next 5 picks was all above average to me but we never really addressed our needs at RB and DT but we sure got a lot of DE's.

Looking back at other drafts we hit on some real good picks, drafted some role players and have a decent history so I hope I am wrong.

Thanks to Uncle Buck on the sig
matt79511

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B+

Love what Jones and Gregory bring to the table. Like where Green, Wilson, and Russell fit in. Swing tackle, backup MLB/WLB with speed/range, and strongside end/interior rusher were all spots where this team could use another guy, just not as obvious as a defensive back or an edge rusher with size and speed.

7th round was a little questionable. Don't like giving up the future 6th and I'm unconvinced any of these guys can make the team. But that's probably because we're deep across the board now, isn't it? I like Nzeocha, Gibson, and Swain as developmental prospects with potential to fit the scheme. Maybe injuries or impressive play or other circumstances get them onto the roster, if not hope they make the PS, if not, oh well. I liked our 7th round guys last year and most didn't make the team, it happens.

Overall I feel we can feel good about our top end guys and depth at the vast majority of the positions on our roster. RB and DT stick out as the more questionable positions, where we'll have to trust front office and coaching staff, and be on the lookout for guys on the waiver wire. And of course we're still dead if Romo gets hurt, probably same goes for Dez and Tyron.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1, Byron Jones, A-

R2, Randy Gregory, A++

R3, Chaz Green, B-

R4, Damien Wilson, C

R5, Ryan Russell, C-

R7, Mark Nzeocha, D-

R7, Laurence Gibson, B+

R7, Geoff Swaim, F-

Uncle Buck on the sig!
Calvert28

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to do this is to grade each prospect then sub the overall median in and get your official grade that way. It's more unbiased then taking one look then throwing a letter out there.

A+=15
A=14
A-=13
B+=12
B=11
B-=10
C+=9
C=8
C-=7
D+=6
D=5
D-=4
F+=3
F= 2
F-=1

Add up the total number then divide by the number of prospects that were chosen.

1- Byron Jones- C+
2- Randy Gregory- A
3- Chaz Green- C
4- Damien Wilson- D+
5- Ryan Russell- B-
7- Mark Nzeocha- C-
7- Laurence Gibson- C
7- Geoff Swaim- D+

So afterwards all you have to do is match the letter and number, add it up and divide.

Comes out to a 8.5 for me. So just round it up then.

Official Rating- C+

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
Cowboys71

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was going great after the first 2 rounds. I would have liked to have taken a RB in the third and I would have been content. Our success last year was due to O-Line and running back. The O-line should be even better but this running back by committee has me concerned. Overall, I will give our draft a B-. Go Cowboys!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be that guy, but until I see the guys actually play against NFL competition, I can't grade them. Hey, at least I didn't use the 3 year rule.

Cowboys Forum Ring of Honor Class of 2013
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
Best way to do this is to grade each prospect then sub the overall median in and get your official grade that way. It's more unbiased then taking one look then throwing a letter out there.

A+=15
A=14
A-=13
B+=12
B=11
B-=10
C+=9
C=8
C-=7
D+=6
D=5
D-=4
F+=3
F= 2
F-=1

Add up the total number then divide by the number of prospects that were chosen.

1- Byron Jones- C+
2- Randy Gregory- A
3- Chaz Green- C
4- Damien Wilson- D+
5- Ryan Russell- B-
7- Mark Nzeocha- C-
7- Laurence Gibson- C
7- Geoff Swaim- D+

So afterwards all you have to do is match the letter and number, add it up and divide.

Official Rating- C+

Cal, I like the concept, but there is a problem. An A+ talent at the top of the draft can be completely neutralized by an F- talent in round 7. The round 7 guys are typically special teamers and practice squad candidates... guys who NO team is counting on to be contributors. In other words, you could end up with a C draft if you draft Peyton Manning and Darren Woodson in round 1 and 2 while drafting Joe Schmo and Mr. Irrelevant in the 7th round.

I think the better grading criteria would be to examine instant starters, potential starters, back ups and camp bodies.

If you are walking out of a draft with 2 instants (legit) starters and 2 guys who start 2-3 years down the load, that's a good to great draft.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Calvert28 wrote:

A+=15
A=14
A-=13
B+=12
B=11
B-=10
C+=9
C=8
C-=7
D+=6
D=5
D-=4
F+=3
F= 2
F-=1

1- Byron Jones- C+
2- Randy Gregory- A
3- Chaz Green- C
4- Damien Wilson- D+
5- Ryan Russell- B-
7- Mark Nzeocha- C-
7- Laurence Gibson- C
7- Geoff Swaim- D+

Official Rating- C+

Cal, I like the concept, but there is a problem. An A+ talent at the top of the draft can be completely neutralized by an F- talent in round 7. The round 7 guys are typically special teamers and practice squad candidates... guys who NO team is counting on to be contributors. In other words, you could end up with a C draft if you draft Peyton Manning and Darren Woodson in round 1 and 2 while drafting Joe Schmo and Mr. Irrelevant in the 7th round.

I think the better grading criteria would be to examine instant starters, potential starters, back ups and camp bodies.

If you are walking out of a draft with 2 instants (legit) starters and 2 guys who start 2-3 years down the load, that's a good to great draft.

Feel free to upgrade it or redo it entirely with your own formula then. But answer me this, what makes a draft successful? Would one probowler and 6 other busts still make a draft successful? What about 6 backups and 1 out and right flop? I just go by, your only as strong as your weakest link. Now while 7th rounders as you are correct hold little value as compare to a 1st rounder. They still matter.

The formula itself is overly simple, but it works for an unbiased overall look. I'm all open to any improvements you have for it, if I get the time, I'll null it over too.

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
I hate to be that guy, but until I see the guys actually play against NFL competition, I can't grade them. Hey, at least I didn't use the 3 year rule.

I'm with you HT. Obviously I have my thoughts on prospects and whatnot, but I don't want to give grades on anybody until I can see them on the field

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: