Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Homework Thread #2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Did anyone here take AP Physics?

YESSIR
ninerfan225

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
ninerfan225 wrote:
Which of the following answers contain the right amount of significant digits?

c. 24.95 min 1 hour/60 mins = 0.4158 hours

d. 12.0 ft 12 in/1ft x 2.54 cm/1in =370 cm

These are the two answers I narrowed it down to. They both seem right to me though.
The 0 in 370 is not significant, just like the 0 in 0.4158.
Thank you.

Matthouston91 on the sig
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:

Yea I took it

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
latinoaustino wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
Quote:
The 1960s provided a great array of stories. From segregation, to the pacifist attitude toward Viet Nam, to the change in the social position of women change was occurring almost daily in the 1960s. Provide a discussion about a film that was produced to illustrate such changes. Explain the weaknesses and strengths of the film for the purpose of understanding the decade of the 1960s.
Any suggestions on a movie I can use for this question in my Ethics class?
If it doesn't Have to be a movie try using Mad Men. As far as movies go try Across the Universe. It's a musical based on the music of the Beatles and is based in the 60's. The scenes are supposed to illustrate what the songs were about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_set_in_the_1960s

Forrest Gump, Dream Girls, Ray, multitudinous Viet Nam movies. Take your pick.

Forrest Gump is my favorite pick. Touches on a multitude of themes and makes the 60s seem even more fascinating than it actually was.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need chem homework. Can someone atleast set me up right? im stumped on this one.

A tank measuring 12.4m^3 is filled with olive that has a mass of 8.2 X 10^3g. What is the density of olive in kg/L?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can you use long division to divide 2x^4+3x^3+0x^2-2x-4/x^3-1?
When I input the first number it is 2x, but when I multiply 2x by -1, it becomes -2x. How can You subtract -2x by 3x^3 if they don't have the same exponent?

Matthouston91 on the sig
UpTheSeam85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions with significant figures, lets say for example with a problem of 4.97-1.0=3.97 the answer would have to be represented in 2 digits, so would it be 3.9 or do I round up to 4.0? Also with the problem of 683-5.9=677.1 how would I right the answer with significant figures? Since it has to be a 2 digit answer, I am confused with that...
fretgod99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UpTheSeam85 wrote:
A few questions with significant figures, lets say for example with a problem of 4.97-1.0=3.97 the answer would have to be represented in 2 digits, so would it be 3.9 or do I round up to 4.0? Also with the problem of 683-5.9=677.1 how would I right the answer with significant figures? Since it has to be a 2 digit answer, I am confused with that...
You always round to the nearest significant digit. So 3.97 to two significant digits would be 4.0.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Mohr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone taken calc?

how do i solve this problem, or get started. My book doesn't have an example problem of this, but the hw says i need to do it.

(x-3)e^x=0

and

3xe^-x + x^2e^-x = 0

[quote="Silver&Black88"]
IS SHE STUPID WITH THE LIGHTS OFF?!?[/quote]
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninerfan225 wrote:
how can you use long division to divide 2x^4+3x^3+0x^2-2x-4/x^3-1?
When I input the first number it is 2x, but when I multiply 2x by -1, it becomes -2x. How can You subtract -2x by 3x^3 if they don't have the same exponent?

Try writing x^3-1 as x^3 + 0*x^2 + 0*x + 1

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mohr wrote:
anyone taken calc?

how do i solve this problem, or get started. My book doesn't have an example problem of this, but the hw says i need to do it.

(x-3)e^x=0

and

3xe^-x + x^2e^-x = 0

Divide by e^x on both sides on top and e^-x on he bottom and solve as normal.

Also, no fear, exponentials never = 0, so at no point in your domain are you undefined (dividing by zero).

BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:

No, but I have my BS in Physics.

Mohr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
Mohr wrote:
anyone taken calc?

(x-3)e^x=0

and

3xe^-x + x^2e^-x = 0

Divide by e^x on both sides on top and e^-x on he bottom and solve as normal.

Also, no fear, exponentials never = 0, so at no point in your domain are you undefined (dividing by zero).

thanks!

[quote="Silver&Black88"]
IS SHE STUPID WITH THE LIGHTS OFF?!?[/quote]
GregorSamsa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help with oil futures.

I tried to educate myself on this online but what I found was not doing it for me. I need to to tell the current and future price for a barrel of crude. Then explain the difference. When I try and find the prices I keep getting the same figure so is that a trick question? Can you briefly summarize how the futures markets work? I read a discreption of the buyer, seller, and the intermediary between the two, but did not understand how he benefited from being involved in the transaction.

It is not that I am lazy, there is a lot more to the assigment I am figuring out myself. No part of the assignment has been brought up in class or our textbook. Macroeconomics.

Thanks for your help.

GregorSamsa wrote:
Yes, yes I will quote myself
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregorSamsa wrote:
I need help with oil futures.

I tried to educate myself on this online but what I found was not doing it for me. I need to to tell the current and future price for a barrel of crude. Then explain the difference. When I try and find the prices I keep getting the same figure so is that a trick question? Can you briefly summarize how the futures markets work? I read a discreption of the buyer, seller, and the intermediary between the two, but did not understand how he benefited from being involved in the transaction.

It is not that I am lazy, there is a lot more to the assigment I am figuring out myself. No part of the assignment has been brought up in class or our textbook. Macroeconomics.

Thanks for your help.

Here's your problem:
No matter how hard one tries, they cannot tell the future Smile

the seller sells short
the buyer buys long

what this means is such (this concept applies to stocks too):

if I'm selling anything short, lets say stocks of IBM, what happens is this
I borrow money from a lender and buy his or her shares of IBM. I agree to pay at a later date. The later date comes (or the agreed upon date in the contract), and I buy shares at market price, from the market, of IBM. I then give the shares of IBM back to the lender, and our transaction is complete. I own the shares of IBM for like a total of 3 seconds combined on two separate days.

so what this means is such:
if you short sell, this means that you bet that the price is going to fall.
think about it:

you give me 100 shares of IBM for 100 dollars from you today and I guarantee you i will pay them back on a certain day [i get 10000 dollars in hand]
and the day comes and i give you back 100 shares of IBM (what you gave to me), but the market price is 90 dollars. So when I'm giving them back to you, I buy 100 shares from the market at 90 dollars, so I pay 9000 dollars for those shares.

10000 - 9000 = 1000 profit for betting that IBM would fall in price.

What the intermediary appears to do is almost keep a running tally. first it takes money as collateral, in case the price of the commodity rises super high, the seller takes a loss and goes bankrupt- then the buyer gets the collateral. Or the reverse- say the price goes so low, the buyer goes bankrupt, so the seller gets the collateral.

additionally: until you cover the position (will explain this) the intermediary seems to keep a running tally. both the buyer and seller will open an acct that the intermediary can directly deposit and withdraw funds. if the price drops it will make adjustments giving the seller profits and the buyer losses, and the converse happens if the price rises.

this goes on until 1) there's no money in someones account and then the intermediary tells them to put more money in 2) the contract is due and then the running tally is the final tally and the winner is happy and the loser is sad or 3) someone covers:

covering means this: I agreed to give you 100 shares of stock C back on Oct 1. The price of stock C went so low that i cant risk the price of stock C getting higher, so I buy the 100 shares of stock on sept 10th and hold onto them. No reason for the intermediary to continue to credit/debit my account since the running tally that was in my account on sept 10th will be the correct math at the end. It deducted the starting price from the price I bought in the end, so the correct amount of money at Oct 1th is already in my account on sept 10th.

When oct 1st comes around, I give you the 100 shares of C, and the transaction is complete.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 26 of 31

Jump to: