Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rules/Tips on running a successful GM mock draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webmaster

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Rules/Tips on running a successful GM mock draft Reply with quote

First the rules -
1. Max of three topics per GM draft.
2. Don't recruit GMs in any other FF forum or via PM.
3. Make sure you follow all the forum rules - http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9338

If you want to run a successful GM mock draft I suggest the following tips.

1. Give your mock a short unique name and add that to the subject of any topics about that mock. For example
[Webby] Rules, Info, and Sign up
[Webby] Draft Thread
[Webby] Trade Talk

Also, you can edit your topic names any time you want. Use this to your advantage.

2. Take your time organizing it. So many people get excited about starting a GM mock, they want to draft right away. They end up not even finishing it.

3. Plan a time for the draft. Either have everyone online at the same time during the draft or break down the picks by time. If you just say we'll start the draft on Friday and everyone has 2 hours between picks, you'll have a lot of missed picks.

4. In order to have a good time running/participating in these, it takes some dedication by everyone involved. Make sure you choose dedicated members to join your draft. This doesn't mean you should base it on post count or join date, but you should be able to get a feel for someones commitment to your GM draft early on. Also, anyone caught posting garbage to boost their post count will receive an automatic permanent ban.

Any more tips?

Last edited by Webmaster on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
A2Wolves6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I would add is that before you even consider making a GM mock draft, look around and go check out the other ones. If they are all full or already in progress, then go ahead and make another. But don't rush to make one.

A set date would be a great idea for a draft. Let the GMs know what day this is going to start, even consider making time slots for each selection. Make sure you have a plan of how you are running your draft.

I also wouldn't recommend asking people to take 2 teams. That means you don't have enough interest in your mock draft. It's always best when a fan of that team is drafting for them, as they will know the team better.

Also consider combining mock drafts with another one that may just be getting started (although, I wouldn't start it in the first place then). You may have 16 GMs, as does he.

Some people sign up for these drafts, and never check back in. To avoid this, make sure you have a way to check in with them. Either through PM or e-mail. Let them know they're on the clock, or to be ready tomorrow with a pick.
packerfan466230

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you start a GM Mock tell the people who join to click the "watch this topic" button, so they won't miss their pick.
It worked well in my first GM Mock.

=
NyViKiNg4 wrote:
You guys are lames man.

NyViKiNg4 wrote:
Focker out.
El bastardo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody told this to the San Francisco GM?

^^Props To STILLERS 4 LIFE 4 The Sig.
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerfan466230 wrote:
When you start a GM Mock tell the people who join to click the "watch this topic" button, so they won't miss their pick.

where is that button? can someone PM me if they have the answer because i'll probubly forget to check this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
packerfan466230 wrote:

where is that button? can someone PM me if they have the answer because i'll probubly forget to check this post

Well, under where it says "New topic" and "post reply" there is a little red link that says "Watch this topic". Sorry I cant PM.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football-Addict wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:
packerfan466230 wrote:

Well, under where it says "New topic" and "post reply" there is a little red link that says "Watch this topic". Sorry I cant PM.

Note - the link is located at the bottom left hand corner, under "New Topic" not under the "New Topic" located at the top of the page

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Football-Addict wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:
packerfan466230 wrote:

Note - the link is located at the bottom left hand corner, under "New Topic" not under the "New Topic" located at the top of the page

What happens if someone replys... does the system PM me?
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikboy3000 wrote:

It doesn't send a PM, it will send an email to the address you used when you signed up for the forums everytime something is posted in that thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRLacher wrote:
vikboy3000 wrote:

It doesn't send a PM, it will send an email to the address you used when you signed up for the forums everytime something is posted in that thread.

Oh ok... Thanks!
vikes635

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: how do i draft Reply with quote

i dont want to run a mock draft but would love to draft in one i dont know how
vikboy3000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: how do i draft Reply with quote

vikes635 wrote:
i dont want to run a mock draft but would love to draft in one i dont know how

Easy. You just go to the "sign up" Thread and put the team you watn down. When there is enough GMs, then the the starter will start a draft thread for you to make selections. While you're waiting, you can work on trades to improve your team. Hope this is enough...
LSUSAINT

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GM Mock Drafts Forum is intended for GM Mock Drafts involving NFL teams drafting college football players. Such as MaddHatter's 7 Round PostCombine Mock.

Any other sort of drafts involving drafting current players in the NFL or all-time players need to take place in the Fantasy/Sim/GM Leagues Forum. Such as JP's fantasy Draft- madden style
GreenbayBoy4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Football-Addict wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:
packerfan466230 wrote:

is it still there now?
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it OK if you find someone in an application/sign up thread, and to PM them to ask them if they want to join your mock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: